Tactics in DoA carried over from other fighters

Argentus

Even now, I'll see people with records saying they've fought over a thousand matches, and yet...I'll see them trying to scoot right up their opponents faces at the beginning of the match and try to poke, Street Fighter style. And then the remainder of the match is them trying to just poke.

And I don't mean "poke" as in "stun game" poke, I mean "poke" as in "obviously a street fighter habit" repetitive jabbing pokes.

Of course they get the crap countered out of them for being repetitive, but they keep trying.

Reminds me of way back in Ghost Recon 2 (Not GRAW2, GHOST RECON 2, on original Xbox), we had a guy who would reload his gun after every shot, a habit carried over from halo, but resulting with him losing all his ammo in GR2, since he just threw away an almost full clip.

Am I missing something, as in, are they trying to do something I'm not catching on to, or is it really just the habits carrying over from other fighters?

And have you seen any other habits in DoA that are obviously holdovers from experience in other fighters?

DontForkWitMe

They borrowed tactics from this classic game of competition...

rockpaperscissors.jpg

David Gregg

And have you seen any other habits in DoA that are obviously holdovers from experience in other fighters?

I play both DOA5 and TTT2 so there are those brief moments where I'm playing the wrong game for a second. Like blocking too much in DOA and forgetting that I could counter.

One time I ran at an opponent, completely forgetting that you don't automatically headbutt them like you do in Tekken. The online player was probably like "WTF?" :confused:

d3v

Even now, I'll see people with records saying they've fought over a thousand matches, and yet...I'll see them trying to scoot right up their opponents faces at the beginning of the match and try to poke, Street Fighter style. And then the remainder of the match is them trying to just poke.

And I don't mean "poke" as in "stun game" poke, I mean "poke" as in "obviously a street fighter habit" repetitive jabbing pokes.
I'd like to point out that this only really applies to SFIV. Doing this is 3S is red parry bait and doing this in Alpha is asking to get Alpha Countered.

Argentus

I'd like to point out that this only really applies to SFIV. Doing this is 3S is red parry bait and doing this in Alpha is asking to get Alpha Countered.

Doesn't it also apply to the many versions of SFII? (I mostly play 3S, and people still try to do it in that as well.)

d3v

Doesn't it also apply to the many versions of SFII? (I mostly play 3S, and people still try to do it in that as well.)
Not really, since it's harder to successfully link jabs in SFII compared to SFIV. Usually, someone doing jab->jab in SFII (or more specifically Super Turbo) is only doing it as a means to tick throw someone.

If you want an example of a game where jab-> jab pressure is really strong, try CvS2 wit A-Sakura.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Raansu said:
Except DoA took it to the extreme.

The funny thing is.. after playing so much DOA.. I had an sf4 session with some of the UK heads.. before moving to saudi..

Man I was on fire.. lol
I felt like I leveled up without even playing.. its funny.

Xernuht

Unfortunately, I had a habit of reverting to SCV tactics early in my DOA5 career. Namely the classic run-in-and-throw-a-bitch maneuver. Sadly, not being Master, I ate Hitomi deathfists each time. I also tried launching on 3k with Mila...

Now when I play SCV, I think "wait, why are there weapons?", then remember I'm not playing DOA5 and eat Nightmare rushdown. *sigh*

xINFINITELIGHTx

JESUS IS LORD AND THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD!!!

IN STREET FIGHTER YOU CONTROL THE MATCH BY SPACING IN THE RIGHT PLACE

IN THIS GAME YOU WILL MORE LIKELY GAIN CONROL IF YOU SPACE PROPERLY

IN TEKKEN IF YOU BLOCK EVERYTHING YOUR OPPONENT DOES AND GET GURANTEED DAMAGE WHILE CONTROLING THE PACE OF THE MATCH YOU WIN

IN DOA BLOCKING EVERYTHING IS PROFOUNDLY DIFFICULT BECAUSE OF STUN SYSTEM AND GURANTEED DAMAGE IS NOT A BETTER OPTION THAN STUNNING YOUR OPPONENT BUT YOU MUST GET GURANTEED DAMAGE OFF UNSAFE MOVES TO REGAIN CONTROL

IN DOA THE PERSON WHO CONTROLS THE MATCH IS THE PERSON WHO WINS

IN STREET FIGHTER IT'S THE PERSON WHO SPACES

IN TEKKEN IT'S WHOEVERS DEFENSE AND GURANTEED DAMAGE IS SUPERIOR

THE END

JESUS IS LORD AND THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD!!!

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Every fighting game is rock paper scissors. Every single one. At first it seems like some have enough depth that it doesn't really rear its ugly face, but the better you get at every fighter the more you recognize just how similar they are.

I believe that Lopedo as well came to the same understanding in the time we spent with SCV.

In fact, the only real difference is how much of a payout you're getting on every guess. One guess worth half a lifebar, or several rapid-fire guesses worth an eighth each? That's the only difference I see anymore. Frequency of guess and payout per guess.

What most people actually get angry about isn't the fact that they are guessing a lot, but rather that the one part of the game they have the most control over -- spacing -- isn't payed out as well as it should be in comparison to the in-fight guessing. This is important, because spacing and whiff punishment is the only part of the game that truly represents a physical sport. People want to be more heavily rewarded for that part.

And I personally agree that they should be.

Bayman's P+K only grants a sitdown on the very first hit, and the attack is slow. It HAS to be used at range or at extreme frame advantage to be successful. And should it land, it leads into about 50% lifebar. This is an example of the physical sport side of the game rewarding the player instead of just guessing. If it were up to me, every character in the game would have at least one or two attacks like this that lead to big damage, and they would all have appropriate speeds to justify the damage they put out.

The good news is, in DOA 5 quite a few characters DO have attacks like this. The bad news is, the DOA community doesn't see these for what they are and instead chooses to hyperfocus on the problems of the characters who do not.

Tones

Premium Donor
Low jab to interrupt while crushing then throw - Tekken

Playing according to health advantage - Something picked up from Guilty Gear and Third Strike but refined in DOA.

Run in, jab and take it from there (block or crush on the disadvantage, attack from the advantage or throw) - Jam from Guilty Gear. Which means run in and jab jab jab jab jab as you're sliding, if they block your options are continue jabbing, space back, cross-over, burst or throw.

Run/walk in then dash back to bait a whiff - Another one from Guilty Gear, Third Strike and Tekken.

90% of my spacing habit is from my Tekken days.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Hm... I don't understand why you guys are saying attacks beat throws in other figthers...

Check this case please: if opponents are at closest position and a throw active hit frames reach an attack in final frames of its startup fase then throw wins in SC/Tekken/some-others. Am I right?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD