The Fight Stick Thread

d3v

Razer playing DOA5.
A39dBIgCEAIIrKH.jpg

https://twitter.com/CultOfRazer/status/252022378186543106/photo/1

FakeSypha

Well, I got myself one of this:

Of course, I'm planning to get rid of that awful WWE artwork, but not until I get myself some time to actually make an artwork and get it printed. In the meantime, I'm trying to get used to the arcade stick. It's much harder than I thought. After my first day of playing with it, I feel like my level gets down A LOT. My stupid fingers are not coordinating at all.

Besides practicing a lot, is there any sort of guide or tips to get me adjusted to it a little faster? Anything is appreciated, really.

Goro Hazuki

Just don't go back to pad. Stick with it exclusively and you'll get used to it in less than a week. One tip is regarding inputs. Pad players tend to hit the direction and the button at the same time. On stick, make sure you do the direction first, then hit the button. Other than that, you should be golden.

FakeSypha

Just don't go back to pad. Stick with it exclusively and you'll get used to it in less than a week. One tip is regarding inputs. Pad players tend to hit the direction and the button at the same time. On stick, make sure you do the direction first, then hit the button. Other than that, you should be golden.
Thanks Goro! I'm getting a little more used to it already. I practiced a little on DOA2U, and since yesterday on DOA5. Things are looking brighter now. I gotta go back to VF5FS and keep practicing there too.

So... direction then button. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.

I also changed the artwork (couldn't stand the Rock and the other guy staring at me). I printed it myself on some adhesive photographic paper, but sadly I fucked up a little when cutting the edges. Sorry for the crappy photo quality.

FakeSypha

It's me again. I dropped my training with the stick, for the moment. I got a lot more comfy with it. I mean my fingers are synchronized and coordinating well, lol. However I'm still having trouble with some inputs. Diagonals in particular. While playing with it, I noticed how much I miss simple launchers (like :3::3::P: or :9::K:, for example). I tried different ways of holding the stick and training more, but the stick reads a :6: instead of :9:. This affects my gameplay a lot, so I went back to the pad. Ironically, I feel a lot more precise :confused:

I've been told my problem resides in the square-shaped restriction the stick has. I'm not knowledgeable with this stuff. What do you think Stick Bros, should I get an octagonal one?

Also, update with a better picture. Now you can appreciate how badly I've done the cut job, lol :(

d3v

Diagonals are easier with the square gate. You need recognize the feel of having the stick at the corners (which is different from it being in the cardinal directions).

The Sanwa GT-Y octo-gate is actually wider and necessitates a longer throw and can actually throw you off more

Scornwell

While this is great advice, I believe I know where the real problem lies. I happen to also own a WWE Brawlstick, and I know for a fact that the input sensitivity on the joystick is insanely low. You have to literally cram the stick in the direction in order for it to register. For a good example, watch this video:
Starting at about 2:50, you can see from the outside how far and hard you have to pull that thing. I would recommend getting the same replacement he has, the basic Sansa JLF. It's about $25 at most and is much more sensitive and responsive. Until you get that replacement, you will most likely learn to "ride" the square gate in order to get inputs, and that's bad.

Alternatively, if you're set on not spending more than the $30 steal price the Brawlstick is at, I'm sure Shoryuken.com has some more advanced methods of increasing the sensitivity for very cheap. I think you can tape the inside of the gate to create a smaller range... Not too sure on that front, though.

FakeSypha

@Scornwell That was quite informative. Thanks, man. That's how I feel with the stick... the "click" it makes when registering the inputs takes a long range of movement. I didn't know how to put it, since the Brawlstick is actually my first stick. I have no previous experience to compare to.

I'll try to dig up more info on those "cheap" methods you said. Again, thanks.

Btw, that Cheryl's mouth creeps the fuck outta me :confused:

Edit: something like this is what you were saying?

Goro Hazuki

Very informative Scornwell. Makes me appreciate my Qanba Q4 even more :p
Yeah FakeSypha, I know you're a fellow Christie player! Upgrading the stick is very inexpensive. Do it! I can't go back to "pad Christie" after getting used to the stick.

Scornwell

Very informative Scornwell. Makes me appreciate my Qanba Q4 even more :p
Yeah FakeSypha, I know you're a fellow Christie player! Upgrading the stick is very inexpensive. Do it! I can't go back to "pad Christie" after getting used to the stick.
Heh, good to see we're all Christie players in here.
Additionally, if you upgrade the joystick but are still interested in a joystick mod, you now have the stock stick to work with. Successful? Either integrate it back in or use it as part of a new custom rig!

And maaaaad props on recognizing where my picture is from.

d3v

Alternatively, if you're set on not spending more than the $30 steal price the Brawlstick is at, I'm sure Shoryuken.com has some more advanced methods of increasing the sensitivity for very cheap. I think you can tape the inside of the gate to create a smaller range... Not too sure on that front, though.
SRK Tech Talk tip, just replace the PCB on the stick with a Sanwa TP-MA.

FakeSypha

Heh, good to see we're all Christie players in here.
Additionally, if you upgrade the joystick but are still interested in a joystick mod, you now have the stock stick to work with. Successful? Either integrate it back in or use it as part of a new custom rig!

And maaaaad props on recognizing where my picture is from.

Mad props right back at you for being such an informative gentlemen. I used to be a big time fan of SH. Too bad that series went downhill too fast. Damn, I feel sad talking about Silent Hill. I sure loved doing all those mindfucking riddles/puzzles alone. So rewarding.

Anyway, back on topic. I actually did some modding... I felt kinda ghetto doing it, if I am allowed to use such word, but it actually works. The sensitivity increased, so ghetto modding FTW. I used the tiny folded papers method.

Not sure how long it will last, tho.

Scornwell

Mad props right back at you for being such an informative gentlemen. I used to be a big time fan of SH. Too bad that series went downhill too fast. Damn, I feel sad talking about Silent Hill. I sure loved doing all those mindfucking riddles/puzzles alone. So rewarding.

Anyway, back on topic. I actually did some modding... I felt kinda ghetto doing it, if I am allowed to use such word, but it actually works. The sensitivity increased, so ghetto modding FTW. I used the tiny folded papers method.

Not sure how long it will last, tho.
I believe IGN's Steven Hopper succinctly described it best in his review of SH: Homecoming:
Being a Silent Hill fan is a lot like watching Eddie Murphy movies. You keep thinking back and remembering the glory days, while quietly thinking that maybe this next one movie will be the one to restore him to Beverly Hill Cop/48 Hrs. glory (or in Silent Hill's case, the days of Silent Hill 2 and 3). However, time and time again, we are ultimately disappointed among the Norbits, Klumps, and Homecomings.
Sigh...

If it worked out for you, great job on the modding! You might want to look into replacing a few of the buttons as well, as the sensitivity on the buttons can be bizarre and inconsistent. Hopefully, this is only the case with my model, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the Sanwa knockoff buttons are like this for everyone. Replacing all 8 buttons will cost around $40, but thankfully it's not a gigantic issue and more of a personal complaint on my part.

FakeSypha

How is using a fight stick in DOA 5 ? would it make a huge difference to my game ?
Well, I'm fairly new to the stick so I was wondering pretty much the same. I'm still learning to stick ways, so what I have to say may or may not help you much.
I can assure you that It makes a difference. Your level gets to total shit tier until you adjust and adapt the coordination of your wrist and fingers to the new layout the arcade stick represents. Don't expect to suddenly be playing like a high level player just because you're on a stick. So it may take a while until the arcade stick pays off.

@Rikuto. Damn. All of my jelly goes there. It looks really awesome with that signature and all. Congratulations, man. I wouldn't use it either. I mean, you can always get another of those. That one should be kept for collection purposes, at least in my book.
Btw, does it say TeamNNJA? xD

SliceAndDice x

Think I'm going to get myself a fight stick and give it ago, but i don't want to just jump in and spend a lot of money on the best one because i'm not sure if i'm going to like it.
Anyone have any suggestions for a middle range fight stick ?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD