The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

synce

Tricky took my fav monkey girl all the way to 5th :eek: Maybe she's not bottom tier?? Very inspiring

Kronin

Personally I don't think that Eileen is a so bad character in comparison with the others (if something it's her moveset that seems to me a little boring and uninspired).

Anyway I really like the character in itself (like design and personality I meant) :)

FakeSypha

Yeah sure, but in terms of tiers she's considered to be low in FS. Not a bad character, but when you put her tools in comparison with Jacky or Akira she isn't that good, lol. Plus she is feather lightweight, so getting juggled will hurt. However, then you have Tricky who is a beast with Eileen, so it's more of matter of his personal skill than any tier-wise argument IMO.

I'm watching most fights of WB7 tourney and I gotta say there is skill in the US, man. I'm really learning lots of stuff from these fights.

Kronin

Yeah sure, but in terms of tiers she's considered to be low in FS. Not a bad character, but when you put her tools in comparison with Jacky or Akira she isn't that good, lol. Plus she is feather lightweight, so getting juggled will hurt. However, then you have Tricky who is a beast with Eileen, so it's more of matter of his personal skill than any tier-wise argument IMO.

I'm watching most fights of WB7 tourney and I gotta say there is skill in the US, man. I'm really learning lots of stuff from these fights.

I agree on the lack of tools but like you say in the hands of the right player (so not my ones XD) any character in VF can become a beast, or at least this is my impression after having seen various official matches on the web.

Blackula

While putting together a punishment list for Brad Burns, I went through Eileen's frame data and saw that she has ALOT of punishable moves (almost 3x as much as Jean Kujo who looks to be the safest character with only 12 punishable moves).

synce

^ Hey those are the exact two characters I started out with... I haven't spent enough time with them to offer good insight but there's a ton of useful info at VFDC. From what I've gathered Eileen is not a character for beginners but it didn't stop me from having fun with her. Aoi also requires good knowledge of other characters

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
^ Hey those are the exact two characters I started out with... I haven't spent enough time with them to offer good insight but there's a ton of useful info at VFDC. From what I've gathered Eileen is not a character for beginners but it didn't stop me from having fun with her. Aoi also requires good knowledge of other characters
So far I'm doing fine with Eileen, but Aoi honestly is one of those characters that I need to spend more time in practice mode with lol

Ghosty-J

Just the fact Aoi can counter anything I throw at her at a moment's notice makes her scary enough XD I haven't touched Aoi or Eileen, but I started out with my main man El Blaze. Been using Akira and Lei-Fei for so long I completely forgot how to use him. Perhaps it's about time I hit the lab and resurrect my inner Lucha Libre once again :cool:

Ghosty-J

Learning the ins and outs of your main is the best way to build up a better playstyle. No need to get TOO nervous : P

Omnistalgic

I stop playing the game months ago, was getting pretty high up in rank, but it was just becoming a combo fest online...and you have to go and study each character heavily to learn there "tricks". Goh/Shun/Pai etc....all have these one hit-kill combos and it's a pain in the arse to defend online. It's all abare abare abare!

This would be my fighter of the generation if I had a local community to improve my defense, because I know I play smarter than 70% of these players online, yet they pull out wins from seemingly nowhere lol...

Great game, but I do wish the defensive side wasn't so hard to master. Feels like I'm playing C.Viper and guessing where her flame kicks are going to land against some characters lol...

I did play some of the greats on PSN though...and it was truly some amazing back n forth competition. VF5:FS with equal competitors is something special.

Blackula

I stop playing the game months ago, was getting pretty high up in rank, but it was just becoming a combo fest online...and you have to go and study each character heavily to learn there "tricks". Goh/Shun/Pai etc....all have these one hit-kill combos and it's a pain in the arse to defend online. It's all abare abare abare!

This would be my fighter of the generation if I had a local community to improve my defense, because I know I play smarter than 70% of these players online, yet they pull out wins from seemingly nowhere lol...

Great game, but I do wish the defensive side wasn't so hard to master. Feels like I'm playing C.Viper and guessing where her flame kicks are going to land against some characters lol...

I did play some of the greats on PSN though...and it was truly some amazing back n forth competition. VF5:FS with equal competitors is something special.

Every online fighter these days seems to be all about abare. Online players just really show how much lack of defense they really have. All they want to do is attack, attack, attack.

It's a lot worse in Tekken and DOA though. In Tekken, you have the almighty hopkick (low risk, VERY HIGH reward) and a very broken crush system. People give no f***ks online in Tekken. It's quite annoying.

In DOA, you have the infamous stun system, string delays, and holds and not the best punishment system in a game. You can't train people to stop doing things. Throw punishing is just a slap on the wrist.

FakeSypha

I agree with Blackula. And If I'm allowed, I'd like to add that in DOA5 the abare is even more prominent. The (trashy) netcode actually helps abare happy players. In some situations you can't even connect throw when you have blocked a very unsafe attack. I'm not sure if the online actually fucks up the frame data or the input delay is really that bad, but in this situations you'll get a nice CH in your face by some dude who is mashing buttons out of disadvantage. Not a very nice scenario if one is looking for improvements and to get better at the game.

=================

On a more happy note, take advantage of the Deal of the Week sale at the XBL marketplace and grab VF5FS. It cost only 400 M$P.

shunwong

I think this abare thing is more present in the online of Tekken and DOA than in VF, or at least I felt it was easier to punish it.

Ghosty-J

VF5FS feels a lot more revolved around defense more than any other fighter I've played aside from Soul Calibur. It's heavier on combos, but it's really no problem taking a win without combo knowledge and maintaining a good defense. This game pretty much got the balance between those two aspects down pat.

Omnistalgic

VF5FS feels a lot more revolved around defense more than any other fighter I've played aside from Soul Calibur. It's heavier on combos, but it's really no problem taking a win without combo knowledge and maintaining a good defense. This game pretty much got the balance between those two aspects down pat.
agreed, VF5:FS is my favorite fighter, it would just be much easier to excel at defense offline with proper technique. Fuzzy guarding, TE, TE+evade, and utilizing dashing/spacing properly are fundamentals that I have learned, but not to the level of crushing scrubs online the way I should.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD