Tiers are Bull, let's make every character top tier!

GLoRToR

I hereby start the Anti-Tierist Movement in fighting games!

My point is that people like to pick up the character that's easiest to win with and then call it top tier. And when somebody beats the snot out of the munchkin character, suddenly that character is top tier too.
Also matchups listed like 5-5 or 6-4 etc, are nonsense. I know a lot of players that simply play every fighting game so much that they could beat me with the "lowest tier" while I play the "highest tier".

My point is that there is this general attitude that "Our way of playing is the only good way" and "only this and this and this character is good and omg how dare you beat me with that low tier trash SAAAALT" and "Scrubs are good for your skin so c'mon buddy sit on my back for a minute".

Ultimately my point is that categorizing characters based on "this character is garbage" is a very closed-minded approach and it will make people play one or two characters as opposed to the entire cast. Me, I want each and every character represented and the elitism and negativity gone, with good sportsmanship and a positive attitude in mind.

DR2K

Tier lists are just listing all the tools a character has and their viability. Some characters have more, some have none. This will never change.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I don't think you understand what a tier list is. Tier list is a list of what characters has the best to worse tools. It doesn't mean the low tier characters are bad. It just means the low tier character don't have as much tools as top tier characters to win. Look at VF for example. Every character is good in that game despite who is high and who is low on the tier list.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Tiers are ALWAYS gonna be a fighting game factor no matter what you play. Doesn't mean if you pick a character that's top-tier material, you're guaranteed a W. It just means that the other person who doesn't pick up a top-tier & happens to be a low-tier type, they could be fighting an uphill battle & have to know their character inside & out because that character is limited on tools or strength in order to win.

I've seen some low-tier characters beat mid to top-tiers before. Is it most likely to happen with the lows? Prolly not because they tend to have less tools than the mid to top-tiers (& that's what most people go with). Plus, not too many use low-tiers unless if you're like the type that uses them on purpose to prove people wrong in competition. Just know that in this game, anybody can win regardless of who you thinks the best or not.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

It's a valid point that many newbies and scrubs read these forums, notice that Jann Lee is considered a top-tier character, and pick him. This translates to many scrubs online playing with Jann Lee, which translates to a less enjoyable experience because I have to face an unproportionate amount of Jann Lees at the expense of other characters.

Said newbies and scrubs don't understand that they should use different criteria in picking their character since tier placement doesn't have anything to do with their success before they've invested dozends (more likely hundreds) of hours in learning the game.

EDIT: Before abody takes offence in me calling people scrubs I'm a scrub too.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
The only thing about the word "scrub" is that people that have learned the games & know the games tend to look down on somebody else that's new & haven't learn the game. That's what I don't like. Everybody's gotta learn at some point, but you ain't gotta talk shit to them & look down on them. Plus it's used against people that play online that wants to compete in tourneys & can't compete because they don't have the profit to. Not referring to you P1naat. Just in general. That's why I said I wouldn't use it against nobody. Don't think it's right to & look down on them like they're dirt.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

The only thing about the word "scrub" is that people that have learned the games & know the games tend to look down on somebody else that's new & haven't learn the game. That's what I don't like. Everybody's gotta learn at some point, but you ain't gotta talk shit to them & look down on them. Plus it's used against people that play online that wants to compete in tourneys & can't compete because they don't have the profit to. Not referring to you P1naat. Just in general. That's why I said I wouldn't use it against nobody. Don't think it's right to & look down on them like they're dirt.

Yes, you're right. We should call inexperienced players newbies and reserve the word scrub for bad players who have attitude problems. Good players with attitude problems are called douchebags I believe. :)

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
It ain't that. It's a serious term, but everybody's 1 starting out. Even the 1s that are good. I'm just saying, to look down on the ones who really haven't understood the game & what it takes to become a good player & you had to learn at 1 point is just wrong.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I'm a scrub because I play the character I enjoy and learn everything I possibly can to get the best of my opponent regardless of the amount of viable tools to be competitive... and I don't blame everything under the sun if I lose, but rather myself.

Don't become like me.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I'm a scrub because I play the character I enjoy and learn everything I possibly can to get the best of my opponent regardless of the amount of viable tools to be competitive... and I don't blame everything under the sun if I lose, but rather myself.

Don't become like me.
Apparently me too, but D3V said you're not a scrub unless you blame people for being cheap. That's something I ain't done yet. I just learn my character inside & out & learn the game. I'm still learning.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
The point is scrub is misused just like most things in the dictionary(or urban) which is why I laugh at anyone who even uses the term. People just throw it out for anything now. You commonly hear it from douches who are mad because they lost.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
That's how it supposed to be. Them are the ones that do know how to win. But still, I don't look down on them, calling me 1 despite the insults. I just ignore them

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
No. I mean the people that DO suck you'll find using the term more.
That's what I meant. If you're being called "cheap" because they can't stop a certain move, using a character that's stronger, or even a low-tier character that knows the foe's moves inside out & know how to stop it, those are the ones. Take Jann Lee for example, against Helena. Helena reading the right moves to punish him for a good amount of the fight. Or vice versa, Jann Lee completely destroying Helena because of all the tools he has that that Helena player don't know how to overcome.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
That's what I meant. If you're being called "cheap" because they can't stop a certain move, using a character that's stronger, or even a low-tier character that knows the foe's moves inside out & know how to stop it, those are the ones. Take Jann Lee for example, against Helena. Helena reading the right moves to punish him for a good amount of the fight. Or vice versa, Jann Lee completely destroying Helena.
Ohhhhhh... see, in my mind, when people say I'm cheap, I always think they're referring to Christie's costumes. And usually I pretend it doesn't bother me, and leave before it gets worse. But the truth is, it does upset me a little. That's why to this day, I'm hoping Team Ninja will reveal the trenchcoat on that fateful day.

So all this time I've been getting upset and slashin' my wrists for nothing, eh? Christie always told me I was doing it wrong, but I never understood what she meant until now...

TakedaZX

Yes, you're right. We should call inexperienced players newbies and reserve the word scrub for bad players who have attitude problems. Good players with attitude problems are called douchebags I believe. :)
This is correct, more specifically attitude problems over things that are "cheap" because they don't know how to deal with it.
You're right, we should all just play DIVEKICK.

Money matches anyone?
I'm in. (lol)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD