DOA5U Tina's nerfs, buffs and QA in DOA5U

TRI Mike

OK I don't have an internet connection right now so I haven't been able to post this but I've been messing around with her since launch and I'm quite worried. There are a few buffs here and there and I'm 100% sure there's shit I haven't discovered yet but the amount of nerfs is worrying and frustrating because they were very important things to take advantage of DOA5's mechanics. Here's a small list:

Nerfs:
1) :6::H+K: is no longer a guard break and is now unsafe at -9. This is extremely shitty since it was probably Tina's most important ranged attack and an excellent whiff punisher that she could get away with even when blocked. I don't like this at all.
2) :P::K::K: / :K::K: no longer gives an unholdable back-turned stun. This move used to guarantee :6::H+K: and a 30-damage ground throw. Now, the opponent can hold out of it immediately. A ridiculous nerf. BT:K: still gives the unholdable stun though.
3) :6::6::K: no longer gives a sit-down stun on crouching opponents. This was an excellent option against people who liked to low hold a lot and opponents who sucked at slow-escaping to easily CB them. Now it only gives a regular DOA4 stun. Lame.
4) :4::P+K: / BT:P+K: no longer gives a free ground throw so I honestly don't see any point on using the move anymore. This was a fantastic option to punish low wake-up kicks, whiff punish, etc. Now it's just useless.
5) Her now-only sit-down stun :8::P: no longer guarantees the :3::3::K: launcher. At fastest stagger in vanilla, the launcher was 100% guaranteed, in DOA5U the opponent has time to block, hold and SS the launching kick. Still,a human staggering at fastest is pretty much impossible so you can still go for the kick but the nerf is there.

Buffs:
1) :4::4::P::K: now gives a slight bound that can be continued with :6::P::P::P: or :6::P::P::2::K:. This is nice since the first punch is a fantastic crush.
2) :4::P::P:(full charge):P: gives a bound but I just can't figure out what to juggle with. lol
3) :4::H+P: is a new air grab that lands slightly more damage than the regular one but requires more height, it can be used to slam opponents against walls behind Tina, this is nice.
4) I'm not sure about this one but I think the :H+K: launcher is now stronger and grands higher launch.
5) Most if not all her throws are stronger in damage but with a base lifebar of 300, she actually takes less chunks of the bar, so this is a buff that doesn't benefit her unless we start playing in 270 or 240, which we should.

There's probably more in both list but I'm missing them. My thoughts so far is that she's weaker than in vanilla, the nerfs are from things I used a LOT in the first version and my current opinion is that the buffs don't make up for it. We can work with what we have but I honestly think the nerfs should be reverted to vanilla status and the life should go back to 270, 240 would be even better.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
It's actually not that hard to do fastest holds with the new system with the new SE system. Even without going crazy, I can get it consistently. It's only a matter of whether you were already slow escaping when the sit down lands, 'cause you can't get the fastest if you start the escape late.

EDIT: She is weaker than vanilla, but pretty much all the characters are weaker than vanilla.

PacManila

The nerfs are a little discouraging, but I feel that we just need to get used to the new Tina. I've been messing around in lab trying out some new stuff and using them in some matches with friends. Maybe someone could help test and/or add more to it but here are some set-ups I've been messing around with:

-Since :8::P:'s sitdown doesn't guarantee the knee launcher anymore, maybe we should focus more, as Banana Eater said in the ground game thread, on it's bound property at max threshold. So far, it doesn't seem like she has a high enough relaunch off the bound, but I did find that if you use :6::6::P::P::P: while the opponent is in bound state and they tech after the last punch, you're left with +1 advantage. It's not much, but I was able to interrupt jabs with :3::K: when I dashed in after the last :P: in :6::6::P::P::P:. If they decide not to tech, you can hit them with her jumping down attack :8::P+K: (this part could use more testing but so far, it looks like it will hit when the opponent attempts to wake-up kick as soon as possible).

-Another attack to use after the :8::P: bound is :236::P:. The attack causes them to roll back, but you also end up "chasing" after them since the attack covers a good distance. If the opponent decides not to tech after the hit, you get a free ground grab (timing can be a little strict so practice). If they do tech, it seems that you're still at a slight advantage because they're still recovering, not to mention that you will see them tech easily from their rolling animation and you will be right next to them after both of you stop moving. I've been testing this in offline and online training against Christie, having my friend or the cpu mash punch after teching. Tina's jab and :3_::P: ended up beating Christie's jab every time.

-She also appears to have a psuedo force tech involving BT:H+K:. I posted something about it in her new ground game thread.

Doa_Eater

Twice forward kick is what bums me most.

Also whats the lifebar based in tag? 300? Cant be 300. Are sitdown stuns guaranteed from burst tag?

Throws in general for everyone do insane damage in tag.

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
This is a good summary of Tina then and now. I'd like to comment on a few of the moves.

Nerfs:
:6::H+K: I wanted to comment and say eh, yeah it was awesome when it was safe, but we have to go back to the oldways cuz it used to be an unsafe move before. Shame but oh well.
:4::P+K: / BT:P+K: What's crazy is I totally didn't believe you when you said there wasn't any guaranteed dmg off this. Online I always, and I mean ALWAYS go for the ground grab after landing this just like in DOA5 and I nail it EVERY time. There hasn't been a single time when this didn't happen so I always assumed it was guaranteed. Needless to say I was shocked to find out this was actually doesn't give off a free ground throw in sparring mode. I can't believe people don't tech after getting hit. I still think I'll be going going for the ground grab anyways though.

Buffs:
:4::P::P:(full charge):P: Yeah what the hell are you supposed to do after this if you land with a fully charged hit? 6f+k is like the only thing you can really do and that's if you edge up a bit to nick them. I'm guessing it will be better for tag? And even then that's only if you hit them fully charged. Pretty dumb.

TRI Mike

False alarm: :7::K: does NOT guarantee a ground throw. No idea why TN suggests it in her Combo Challenge.

Mestizo

Standard Donor
Is it just me or has her :H+K: had some umph taken out of it so now its a nice long range high poke? Seemingly much faster/safer than her :6::6::K:

Before I remember using it at extreme range and the opponent would often go flying making a follow up difficult. Now on a hit its a nice stun that can be followed up with her nice mid kick options.

Honestly I dont get why TN nerfed her untechable ground throws, straight BS. Its not like tina was even close to top tier easy in the first place.

also...holding in sitdown stuns...REALLY?? happened a few times today and my head couldnt shake anymore. That being said... MDTime :D

PacManila

Is it just me or has her :H+K: had some umph taken out of it so now its a nice long range high poke? Seemingly much faster/safer than her :6::6::K:

I'm trying to use :H+K: more often from a distance instead of :6::H+K: due to the changes to the latter move. On counter, :H+K: can give you a nice juggle. The potential damage off of :6::H+K:, the lack of force tech opportunities off it, and the fact that it's unsafe on block seems to have diminished its usefulness.

Mestizo

Standard Donor
yeh :6::H+K: is a shadow of its former self. Though its pretty rare for anyone to tech out of the down grab.

RubinRoon

It is not much but you can follow up pkk/kk with h+k dash forward airthrow on all weightclasses, but only in open stance. It will whiff in closed stance. They can still hold it, but at least it is some kind of mix up

PacManila

It seems like her stun game took quite a hit. Besides 8P not guaranteeing anything on fastest SE, 1P on CH with the same SE setting doesn't guarantee anything either. You really have to rely on throws more than ever to win matches, which may be difficult against opponents who don't counter and are very aggressive offensively.

MasterHavik

what the fuck did they do to her? I saw Eater using her two days ago and he was going nuts...man TN hates grapplers.

PacManila

what the fuck did they do to her? I saw Eater using her two days ago and he was going nuts...man TN hates grapplers.

While her offense was mostly centered around grabs, in vanilla she could at least get some things off of her good stuns like 8P and CH 1P. It seems like getting an offense going is much more difficult, especially if your opponent is pretty good at SE and rarely does holds. Been trying to mess around with delaying strings and such too, but it feels like your opponent has to be really scared to retaliate for you to get things going.

MasterHavik

While her offense was mostly centered around grabs, in vanilla she could at least get some things off of her good stuns like 8P and CH 1P. It seems like getting an offense going is much more difficult, especially if your opponent is pretty good at SE and rarely does holds. Been trying to mess around with delaying strings and such too, but it feels like your opponent has to be really scared to retaliate for you to get things going.
that's what i'm thinking. she can't be THAT bad.

PacManila

that's what i'm thinking. she can't be THAT bad.

I don't think she's bad, but it seems like I have to really change how I play with her this time around. It's been really difficult for me to adjust so far since I feel like I still play her like I did in vanilla, which usually doesn't end well :/

MasterHavik

I don't think she's bad, but it seems like I have to really change how I play with her this time around. It's been really difficult for me to adjust so far since I feel like I still play her like I did in vanilla, which usually doesn't end well :/
i said the same with vanilla zack, but he ended up being low tier...if they change to how you use to play them and take a lot of good options...those telltale signs of lowtierness.

RubinRoon

You really have to play her like a grappler now. What I do is trying to get a stun in and punish every hold attempt my opponent does. When they get scared you can get free combos. She still has her godlike crushes. Use and abuse them.
You dont really need guaranteed damage setups with her. You just need to scare your opponent so they stop holding. Throw a lot, its your job ^^

MasterHavik

You really have to play her like a grappler now. What I do is trying to get a stun in and punish every hold attempt my opponent does. When they get scared you can get free combos. She still has her godlike crushes. Use and abuse them.
You dont really need guaranteed damage setups with her. You just need to scare your opponent so they stop holding. Throw a lot, its your job ^^
hmm...that reminds me of another character in this game...

PacManila

i said the same with vanilla zack, but he ended up being low tier...if they change to how you use to play them and take a lot of good options...those telltale signs of lowtierness.

Even with the nerfs and such, I'm trying my best to not give up on her. In vanilla, I was not expecting to main her, but eventually one thing led to another and I was happy with using her :p. I guess I feel out of sorts using her in 5U. I get those moments in a match where I'm on the offensive and then as I start my set-up, I realize too late "oh yea, that doesn't work anymore...". >_<

That's what I feel like she's become, more so than ever. It was just nice in vanilla that she could at least work with stuns to combos when she had to. In here, you really have to get your throws in and rely less on playing the stun game.

PacManila

hmm...that reminds me of another character in this game...

lol and who would that be?

So far I've been playing with Tina and Rachel. I actually do like Rachel a lot, reminds me of Tina in certain ways but...well you've seen the threads about her so I won't go any further XP

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD