"Toning down blah blah" Let's talk about the EVO event...

Providence

Errr... DOA5 wasn't an abomination in 2012. At least DOA5 was still a game in 2012 and not the equivalent content of a Free2Play game being charged $60+ like SFV was. There's no comparison.
^ exactly this.

It's beyond me how people would ever complain about "lack of content" in regards to DOA5, vanilla even. It was one of the most loaded fighting games at launch. And DOA usually incudes up to 3-5 costumes per character. What fighting game now launches with that many costumes for their vanilla version?

DOA5 had story mode, arcade mode, survival, etc, so I really don't see how people can complain about DOA5, when in reality it set the bar far higher than many other fighters barely even attempt to reach in terms of content.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Wait, what happened?

dog_kek.jpg
It's probably the "COUNTDOWN VALUES". KEK.

Macca Beam

How does the KOF14 tournament at Evo Japan this year discriminating against Koreans fit into your core values?
let me in on the drama fam
i heard evo fans have been on edge that a kpop band went and stole the original venue (or messed up evo hotel reservations) or something

TRI Mike

Are you talking about years back with the tournament rules? That was completely reasonable asking players to not pick the most ridiculous DLC outfits. Game was on stream trying to push the game as a good fighter. Last thing we needed was Momiji on stream in the Christmas ribbon outfit. Fanservice is fine, but the level DoA5 went to was obnoxious.

I completely understand the reasoning behind this but to me, it feels wrong to forbid using those costumes. At the end of the day, anyone willing to use those in a tournament is likely a bad player and would lose rather quickly.

Raansu

I completely understand the reasoning behind this but to me, it feels wrong to forbid using those costumes. At the end of the day, anyone willing to use those in a tournament is likely a bad player and would lose rather quickly.

I don't think its wrong, especially when its on stream and said costume could get the stream cut off by twitch's bots.

Last edited:

Providence

I don't think its wrong, especially when its on stream and said costume could get the stream cut off by twitters bots.
That's the part that makes it wrong, not the tournament organizers, but the fact that twitch is biased against videogame content, while allowing girl gamers have their real cleavage spilling out and bouncing in a face cam so large that you can't even see what game she's playing.

But God forbid she select a swimsuit for her fictional character in the actual game.

I get that event organizers have an obligation/requirement to make sure the stream doesn't violate any community guidelines of the streaming platforms, and broadcasters, my issue personally is those platform's selective enforcement of those guidelines against Japanese games.

Raansu

That's the part that makes it wrong, not the tournament organizers, but the fact that twitch is biased against videogame content, while allowing girl gamers have their real cleavage spilling out and bouncing in a face cam so large that you can't even see what game she's playing.

But God forbid she select a swimsuit for her fictional character in the actual game.

I get that event organizers have an obligation/requirement to make sure the stream doesn't violate any community guidelines of the streaming platforms, and broadcasters, my issue personally is those platform's selective enforcement of those guidelines against Japanese games.

Its actually not allowed and twitch has been trying to clamp down on cleavage streamers.

That aside, I still don't think its wrong at all to ask players to pick an outfit that isn't totally obnoxious. Like do you really think it's ok for a tournament to be streaming and then someone picks THIS
maxresdefault.jpg

Like come on, forget doa, I dont think this is acceptable for any game at a tournament. Fans service is all fine and dandy and if you wanna rock that online go for it, but I think its pretty obnoxious to pick at a tournament.

Raansu

Like when Jyakotu literally refused to play and halted the entire tournament simply because he couldn't choose a titty costume...

then got bodied lmao

Comedy. Shame I missed this.

Edit: Well that didn't take me long to find footage of it. This is gold lol.

Providence

That aside, I still don't think its wrong at all to ask players to pick an outfit that isn't totally obnoxious. Like do you really think it's ok for a tournament to be streaming and then someone picks THIS
maxresdefault.jpg

Like come on, forget doa, I dont think this is acceptable for any game at a tournament. Fans service is all fine and dandy and if you wanna rock that online go for it, but I think its pretty obnoxious to pick at a tournament.
I understand why they have to make that request, I get it.

But putting platform rules aside, I simply don't see any issue with those costumes in a tournament setting.
It's already an M rated game, played by adults, watched by viewers that likely play other fighting games which contain similarly ridiculous fanservicey costumes.
mileena_flesh_pits___mortal_kombat_9_by_romero1718-d7zuumm.png

I understand that some people are more sensitive about this kind of thing, but I've noticed that people are selectively sensitive about this kind of thing.

Raansu

No ones sensitive to it. It's just tacky in a tournament setting where people are supposed to be showcasing the competitive side of the game.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
I understand why they have to make that request, I get it.

But putting platform rules aside, I simply don't see any issue with those costumes in a tournament setting.
It's already an M rated game, played by adults, watched by viewers that likely play other fighting games which contain similarly ridiculous fanservicey costumes.
View attachment 27769

I understand that some people are more sensitive about this kind of thing, but I've noticed that people are selectively sensitive about this kind of thing.
Sure.

But why would you elect to wear something like this at a tournament? You're not going to be able to enjoy it, your focus had better be on your opponent or you're going to get bodied fast. In a setting that demands your mind be tunnel visioned onto your opponent and trying to perform to the highest capacity you're capable of, why does what you wear matter?

The ribbons outfit doesn't give you an advantage. Raising a stink at the officials to let you wear it only puts you and your opponent on ice and makes both of your performances less intense.

Providence

No ones sensitive to it. It's just tacky in a tournament setting where people are supposed to be showcasing the competitive side of the game.
They're not mutually exclusive, unless you think the costumes literally distract the opponent and make them play worse, which would be hilarious if true, but I don't think that's even a thing that would affect pro players.

Sure.
But why would you elect to wear something like this at a tournament? You're not going to be able to enjoy it, your focus had better be on your opponent or you're going to get bodied fast.
In a setting that demands your mind be tunnel visioned onto your opponent and trying to perform to the highest capacity you're capable of, why does what you wear matter?
Then why bother selecting favorite color palettes and hair styles?
It's not for the match, it's for the intro and win pose, and for having your character be distinct to you and reflect your favorite style, not for ogling during the actual match.

The ribbons outfit doesn't give you an advantage. Raising a stink at the officials to let you wear it only puts you and your opponent on ice and makes both of your performances less intense.
I wouldn't raise a stink about it though, I would be annoyed, but I'll play ball.

I would ban the santa suits if I ran any locals, I get that some people just don't want to see certain costumes. I would also ban all custom costumes for Tekken locals too, so I GET IT, but that doesn't stop it from being silly.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD