Tougeki 2012

Xion

It only affects the controls of the console that the settings are on. It shouldn't mess with online play at all.

To put it bluntly, If you use the casual settings you're only doing so out of ignorance. If your opponent is using casual settings and you are not, you have a massive advantage over them. There is absolutely zero benefit to using casual mode and it is only shooting yourself in the foot.

Because it effects both players on the same console during offline play however, you can bet that it will be 100% disabled during tournaments. There will be no absolutely no community divide over this, its a bad setting. Period.

That what I meant by negative effect online. Sure its "on you" but part of balance in a fighting game is knowing that you are both on even terms. Why have that distinction at all. Anyway, we'll see how this ends up but ill just set the game how I prefer it and not think about it.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
3. Having the option for the side step is also AMAZING! Why should you restrict players when it doesn't hurt ANYONE to have the option available to change it? I can have my side step set one way, and you can have yours set another way. My choice has absolutely no impact on your choice. The fact that you say, "It's the dumbest shit ever" is insulting.
I was under the impression that this was a setting in the options that affects both players, am I wrong? If it is then I feel it should be standardized as well.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
That's like the auto-jump option in UMvC3. Sometimes having an option isn't really an option at all. More like, "Do you want to have an 'OH SHIT! Back to character select!' moment."

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I was under the impression that this was a setting in the options that affects both players, am I wrong? If it is then I feel it should be standardized as well.

See this is what I was under the impression of as well. I don't want to go to a tournament where another player has another setting and then shit gets fucked up left n right.

If the sidestepping could be set in the controller config menu for each player individually then its fine.

The way you guys are describing the "pro" buffer system seems great, I'm actually looking forward to it now.

Oh and Grape, thank you so much for the upload. I really enjoyed the tournament. It seems Lisa got a bit faster which is awesome! She seems a lot more practical to use now. unfortunately that Leifang was shit so we couldn't see anything. Shinbori tried to show off the new Leifang tech but he got battered lol.

Christie's sidestep during air-juggle seems like it will be great to direct people into danger zones... Maaaaan lots of experimenting to do on release...

Doug Nguyen

Essentially it is putting in one input while another input is on screen. I suppose the best example would be Hayate's raijin throw. If you try to do the circular input you'll pretty much just jump every single time. To avoid this you buffer the circular input during an animation such as his wind dash or a jab etc...
Oh ok so then what does casual setting do to the buffering system?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
It fucks it up to be blunt. Easiest example I can give is that on casual settings if you try to buffer in a move and then try to free-cancel a string because you see you're about to get held or crushed, a random ass counter will come out and you'll just sit there looking like a moronic punching bag.

d3v

Glare was an issue for almost everyone. Players like Justin Wong and Kayane were talking (complaining) about it all weekend.

EDIT: At least this time, SBO fuck up affects all the players, just not the foreign ones.

DrDogg

The top 8 was interesting... but they had the same problem we saw at E3. Everyone was playing DOA4 for the most part. We can't really blame them, but it will be nice to see some high level DOA5 once the game is out. I think I counted one Critical Burst, and no one was really taking advantage of unholdable situations.

It's an individual setting for each player.

Berzerk!

Thanks Grape for uploading the vids, that's excellent to see. In the vids there are some interview segments with Hayashi and Shimbori. I don't expect there's much information of value here, but is there anyone who might be able to translate?

On the topic of pro/casual settings, I'll have it on pro settings at all times in all tournaments, but for the sidestep option, as it's about individual player preference, I hope the ability to choose the command type is in the control config menu, and not a global option for the game.

It will make playing people offline tricky if they've trained one way, and the tournament has it set another way.

Personally, I'm likely to stick with the alpha demo style. It's different enough from the step mechanic in VF5FS that I'll be able to mentally separate them and avoid getting mixed up as I swap between games. It doesn't cause any issues in SC5 either being double tap, that said.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Sorwah knew that. He was just acknowledging that 'hardcore' is a term applied to multiple facets of DoA fandom.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
kasumi2fpdamage.gif

Keylay

Kasumi's :2::F::+::P: does look weak but maybe it does more damage when the opponent hits the floor. In DOAD, it did 20 points of damage for the launch and then another 25 when they hit the floor. She should be able to get a nice air juggle with it.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
LOL that damage is priceless. I know she gets follow ups, but then so does Ryu if he doesn't finish his Izuna haha.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD