Tournaments: A Beginner's Guide

NewbReview.com has released a nice article that helps break down the bad stereotypes of fighting game tournaments. The article is written by Jason Borlase who tells of his experiences in some of the most renown fighting game tournaments. I recommend it as a read to any friends who think that those who enjoy the tournament scene are egotistical, anti-social, and elitist. I honestly can't think of anyone who I've personally met that attended a true offline fighting game tournament and not been hooked. Here's a small excerpt but jump to the Full Article for a pleasant read:

Jason Borlase said:
evo72010-e1329056835942.jpg

Having entered two fairly large tournaments now and finishing in the top 16 of each (just thought that had to be mentioned,) I have to say that these events are a lot of fun to take part in. Besting a player on the internet is a fairly meaningless, shallow victory in the grand scheme of things; playing these strangers in person, sharing knowledge and jokes, and firmly shaking hands when its over like gentleman and squires, makes me feel that getting good at fighting games isn’t a dehumanising experience after all. It makes me feel alive, dammit!

Ahem, I understand many probable preconceptions about these gatherings: “I’m rubbish! I won’t stand a chance!” “I hate losing, waaahhh!” “Forever alone lol.” No, I say. If you enjoy playing videogames simply for the joy they can bring and have the willingness to learn and get better, going to these places is a great way to get more out of playing lovely videogames and make friends as you go (ugh.)

It’s a surreal experience for the first time – large sweltering televisions stand blaring in a cacophony of clicking Sanwa buttons, excitable music and fists pummelling bones, with people of all sorts huddled around them in a focused trance. Everyone is chatting freely but tensely, exchanging tips and silently working out the patterns and give-aways of the people wielding the pads and arcade sticks.

In my experience there isn’t an elitist attitude one might expect. Bringing a control pad over a beefy fightstick isn’t widely frowned upon, and some of the best players swear by them. If you’re not a confident player yet, the best advice I can bestow is that you need to be able to take a loss on the chin. As long as you’re not mashing buttons like an idiot and play your game with your brain switched firmly on, people will likely respect you.

Source: NewbReview.com

Having been to "eSports" competitions for other games, I can vouch for how much more hype FG tournaments are.

Forcing Xino to read this would probably make him start speaking in tongues.

Not the good kind, either.

Forcing Xino to read this would probably make him start speaking in tongues.

Not the good kind, either.

He'd just go back to his little site and write up another retarded article trying to counter this article and continue to make an ass out of himself with his ignorance.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD