Unholdable stun after tech rolling?

Belinea

So I had been messing around with different kind of untechable setups when I stumbled across this. It seems that when you decide to tech roll from a ground hit (not to be mistaken as the force tech game of doa4) you are very briefly put into a situation were you can't hold the next attack. The move that becomes unholdable seems to be decided by which attack your opponent tech rolls after. In the examples below Bass tech rolls after Eliots :2::K: untechable setups.

This was probably a bad example, as as you can see the timing of 66p is kinda tricky, but possible nonetheless. A good example (which I didn't find until after I made the video) would have been :2::1::4::P: against the wall, as there is no timing involved - simply input the move after doing the :2::K:.

What's peculiar about this example is that Bass can hold the :2::3::6::K: in open space, but when against the wall it becomes unholdable.

What's the verdict on this? Viable tech or just useless nonsense? Sorry if it has already been discussed, I just haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Basically what is happening here during this specific tech, a person is allowed to hold before they are allowed to block. However, holds require 1 frame of activation, contrary to the frame data and popular belief. So during that one frame, they become vulnerable to attack, assuming the hold was buffered.

If however, they decide to guard instead, you will find that the attack will actually go right through them. This is because they have not yet given up their invincibility frames from the tech until after the active frames of the strike are already done with, therefore the block never actually connects. Had the defender ended those frames prematurely with a hold, it would be a different story, thus making them vulnerable for that one frame.

Viable or useless nonsense?

I would call it viable nonsense. Requires further labwork and a setup with a LOT of active frames on whatever strike is being used. It has to cover both the hold period as well as the guard period of the invicibility frames to keep this strategy from potentially backfiring. And even then, it should be a move that is worth using if it is blocked.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Mr. Rikuto. With more lab work, players may find significant strats and set-ups.

Belinea

Further testing has shown me that I was wrong in assuming it was specific to tech rolling - as Eliot is able to produce unholdable attacks from force teching the opponent, ala doa4. An example would be force teching a opponent close to the wall with 2P+K and then using 1K (might be 2K, not sure). But what's weird about that example is that it only works when next to a wall, it's actually holdable in open space. They're not all like that though, I have several setups that work on any part of the stage.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD