Updated game, now cannot advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated the game tonight, and upon entering the new start screen I was prompted with:
Game updated. Please download the new catalog from the Xbox live market place before playing the game.

However there's nothing related to a catalog or even anything that i don't already have showing (excluding certain paid costumes like Santa pack or whatever) in the download list.

What gives I cannot even play the game offline!

Oh ok so the update was JUST released?
Ah that makes at least a little sense.

Ok not really, here download this update. Ok great now follow these instructions that can not be completed. Grea- oh wait.

HaJiN

I think it's because we need to wait until the beach stage becomes free DLC. not sure though. (at least this is what I heard)

DR2K

You should be able to delete the patch if you want to play offline. Although you'd be playing version 1.00.

lopedo

I once said they'd fuck up so bad that you wouldn't be able to get the character select screen to work. You can't even make it that far now which is why I'm laughing my fucking ass off like.. legit right now.

Honestly, it's one of two reasons.

1: The island stage is needed to proceed. From a technical stand point that file for the stage would have to include key game code, or at least trigger to enable the game. While not rational in the least, I wouldn't be surprised if they put that in the script for that stage rather than... ya know... the main menu "start" option.

2: The game is now broken because they forgot to add the script that enables it past the menu/demo version. In this case, we'd need to wait another week (or more) for MS to approve of the update before posting it to Live on Tuesday morning EST time.

3: We're beta testing a menu now. After months of feedback they have nerfed EVERYTHING just to see what we think of the menu screen.

I'm personally with option 3.

Nah no big deal ill just wait till tomorrow. Good tip though thx. The store and patches are released at slightly different times. It's understandable.
Now if it is t ready tomorrow, and they botched this update too... Oey

lopedo

Xbox Live has updated though.

MajorNelson.com states that the deals for the games are up, which I can confirm from my Dash right now. I still, however, do not see the Island stage. So basically, they fucked up again.

EDIT: MajorNelson said the sales for the games are being rolled out. However, XBL has still updated because of the universal Deal of The Week changing for everybody at the same time.

EDIT: Some content is still not updatesd like the Majestic Pack for Halo 4 for example. Either they are still rolling some stuff out or DOA is fucked.

@lopedo that would be on one hand funny, on the other hand sad.
It's true though that many games have comparability packs, this is no different.

As a developer I understand, and find it logical that the 1.03 code references new content, so the game cannot proceed unless the content is there. Developing 1.03 to work with or without the 1.03 content would be a lot of work and more buggy and not worth it in the end as the scenario only occurs immediately after update.

But yeah, i agree its still funny that they couldn't line everything up so end users wouldnt be caught in purgatory. This isn't some XBLA game it's a major title lol!

lopedo

1.03 code is changes to the moves and adding animations. It would be very easy to add that without adding the stage content.

Adding the stage actually makes it more complicated. And scripting the stage to act as a trigger, if that's what they did, was about the dumbest thing they could possibly do.

@lopedo up are incorrect in a lot of ways.
1.03 code changes move list, as well as bugs. Bug fixes can effect a wide variety of the code base, sometimes touching on half the files in a code base.

The new content must also be referenced somehow, say some external file. If that content is referenced, and an attempt is made to access it and that fails the game will crash. This isn't a website where fault is tolerated it's a compiled game engine, certain assumptions need to be made ( for example as basic as, all Xbox controllers have an A button, all the way to the thumbnail for this stage is at path X )

Adding the stage is the least complicated of the changes made, in a normal application or game there is a config file be it XML/JSON or line-break delimited if your old school. This file will list the content, adding a new level or for example costume is as simple as adding the item into the categories array which usually points to where the art can be found.

So again if 1.03 references new content, and that new content is not at the locations it expects then it only makes sense that it doesn't continue. What doesn't make sense is why they botched making sure Microsoft had the DL content available before the update was released

lopedo

@lopedo up are incorrect in a lot of ways.
1.03 code changes move list, as well as bugs. Bug fixes effect a wife variety of the code base, sometimes touching on half the files in a code base.

The new content must also be referenced somehow, say some external file. If that content is referenced, and an attempt is made to access it and that fails the game will crash. This isn't a website where fault is tolerated it's a compiled game engine, certain assumptions need to be made ( for example all Xbox controllers have an A button, to the thumbnail for this stage is at path X )

Adding the stage is the least complicated of the changes made, in a normal application or game there is a config file be it XML/JSON or line-break delimited if your old school. This file will list the content, adding a new level or for example costume is as simple as adding the item into the categories array which usually points to where the art can be found.

So again if 1.03 references new content, and that new content is not at the locations it expects then it only makes sense that it doesn't continue. What doesn't make sense is why they botched making sure Microsoft had the DL content available before the update was released

Yeah you're actually right. Microsoft probably fucked up then. Or TN forgot to send it to MS to begin with. Or both.

Raansu

1.03 code is changes to the moves and adding animations. It would be very easy to add that without adding the stage content.

Adding the stage actually makes it more complicated. And scripting the stage to act as a trigger, if that's what they did, was about the dumbest thing they could possibly do.

I imagine they scripted it to force the stage download so people wouldn't have conflict online.

lopedo

According to their Twitter page the "catalog" data isn't live yet and we won't be able to play until it is.

No clues as to when that might be SO, we can now confirm that the update was rolled out into 2 portions. The first one made it, the second one didn't. So either it hasn't been approved yet, or the more likely scenario is that it hasn't been posted yet. Approval can take over a week so let's hope that it just hasn't been posted to the Marketplace yet.

WebHead

I didnt see it in the "Market Place" in the menu, but on the xbox dashboard I seen it, WOO HOO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD