(Updated) How to improve the current DOA6 "meter" system to make it more balanced, appealing and interesting ???

Shinji XYZ

Just like SFV adding V-Skill2 and V-Trigger2 to improve variation and complexity into the game mechanics, I've got several ideas for DOA6 below. Hope we can build a better DOA, at least with the current meter system. I think the Meter system, when done right, will add positively into the basic mechanics and make the fights more exciting. Just throwing in some ideas:
  • In order to make lying on the ground for too long risky, we could add the Break Ground attack (BG). BG, performed by pressing 8+S, uses 2-bars from the meter. It works similarly to 8+PK attack, while opponent is lying on the ground. But it is faster and it has an effect similar to a Close Hit on the ground causing the opponent to bounce off the ground (and particles from the ground flying up for some cool effects). This can be followed up by a combo. We can make the moves different for each character, but the point is to get your opponent off the ground and follow up with a combo. So a knockdown move from a juggle combo can be followed up by BG if the opponent does not quickly tech-up and if you have the meter. BG costs 2-bars, similar to a BH. (BG offense or BH defense, to spend the meter on)
  • Adding BB2 called Break Launch (BL), executed by pressing 236+S (or they can make it character specific, e.g. 214+S or hold(4)6+S for some characters), which will launch an opponent similar to a Power Launcher allowing for more juggle combo opportunities. But instead of the opponents launching and twirling in front of you, they will launch, twirl and fall to your back changing the direction of your juggle combo. This way you can take an advantage if there is a Danger Zone or wall/fence/box behind you (turning the tide of your opponent's offense; or if you just want to change the direction of your offense). Unlike BB, BL cannot be cancelled by pressing H on hit, forcing you to pull off the juggle combo. From the juggle combo, you can also choose to ground bound into a Close Hit as usual (character specific). Break Launch (BL) can be held/charged similarly to executing a PB or PL, has a step-back or crouching property (when charged, character specific) like PB or PL and it can also be cancelled during charge by pressing H. It has no Sabaki property. It will always launch your opponent as above.
  • Now we have two options for the ultimate power move, Break Blow and Break Launch. If we feel that giving these two options at the same time is too powerful, we could also opt to give the player options to choose between the two, before a fight. But personally, I would like these two options at the same time in a fight.
  • Alternatively, we could also make BB2 stronger than BB, which can only be performed after your life bar is blinking (50% or less). For some characters, BB2 works like a PB with a step-back property before hit. For some, it works like a PL with crouching property before hit. BB2-PB on hit will allow you to change the direction of your hit to take advantage of your environment (boxes, fences) for extending your combos. While BB2-PL will work similarly like the Break Launch (explained above). BB2 can be cancelled during charge by pressing H. It has no Sabaki property. By doing it this way, we could make each character more unique, especially when executing their most powerful specials.
  • Nerf environmental damage. Utilizing environments only to extend your combos, for more creativity, positioning and over the top action (viewer spectacle), rather than eating a huge chunk of your life bar with just one car explosion or one angry Kraken. You have to earn the damage you get from Danger Zones.
  • Improve variation/options to wall combos.
  • Generally, builds "meter" slower from stuns and combos. Break Hold (BH) is usually the culprit for this, since lots of players complained that their opponents always have "meter" to BH. It can be annoying and it breaks the tempo of the offense. But since now we have Break Ground (BG) as a balancing offensive option, this might not be the case anymore considering BG also takes 2-bar from the meter (so either, BH or BG, defense or offense).
  • Generally, rewards high-combo counts/damage with more meter, so "meter" gain feels more earned.
  • Fatal Stun, using the S button, currently builds meter even faster for the attacker. Considering how easy and random it is to pull off and how devastating and costly it is for your opponent, we will have to nerf the "meter" gain from using S button.
  • Maybe we should give some penalties for using the S button too many times during stun combos such as:
    • Some damage scaling (which has already been done, I guess), maybe we need more scaling.
    • Only the first-hit from Fatal Stun (S button) in a stun-combo will earn you "meter". The second, third and fourth FS (within the combo) will not earn you meter or maybe instead even add a bit more to your opponent's "meter" as a penalty when done grounded (not as part of a juggle combo). Unless juggled, maximum 2 FS in a stun-combo before giving extra "meter" (meter gain) to your opponent as penalty.
    • The amount of "meter" earned from an S button FS first-hit should be similar to the one you get from a Normal hit stun.
I could only think of these for the moment, will continue to update this post as soon as more ideas came up. Let's discuss this issue to give some inputs to Team Ninja for the next DOA update.

Last edited:

human013

The issue with meter in a 3D fighting game is that there is no reason to have it except for something flashy like a super attack. Locking normal mechanics behind a meter does not magically make the game have more depth as some would like to believe. On the other hand, making random mechanics or attacks require meter is also just nonsensical. Meter, if it has to be in, should feel like something extra added to the base gameplay, not a hindrance or the focus.

1. I would rather have TN fix the ground game than add that mechanic in. It seems unnecessary and it would make the characters too samey, just like the bound into close hit mechanic they implemented.
  2. Seems like a useless mechanic to me. I would rather use the meter for damage than for positioning.
  3. BB in general is just bad so I would not want an alternate version of it.
  4. I don't have much to say about the environment besides the combos were really boring to look at especially on the firecracker stage, and I hate how some activate the longer running sequences to get in place like the car stage. Remove that type of transition. I want fast transitions where they place my character down and I get full control instantly like the fence hopping transitions.
  5. Meter needs to build up extremely slower and limited even more. Maybe allow BH to be performed once per round. DOA already has too many escape options which are holds. DOA does not need more.
  6. All these issues stem from TN not knowing what to do but just wanted to throw in meter for the hell of it. No thought went into it and it is very visible so keeping it will just make the game worse. There is no benefit to having meter. Get rid of it entirely.
And, for the love of god please do not do what Soulcalibur did. SC5 restricted moves to meter and now SC6 added an overdrive mechanic with moves locked behind the overdrive mode. And now there are even more meters like Setsuka's icon things. SC is trying way too hard to be an anime fighter. Keep meters out of 3D fighters. They did not need them before and they sure as hell do not need them now.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD