Upstate New York

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
At the moment, Upstate is not terribly well represented in the Matchmaking forums here. Trickle in the other New York thread, but that's mostly NY Metro, and we're close to the Canadian folks, but there are potentially quite a few gamers in Upstate only. Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, whatever. If you want to get some games in, online or off (preferably the latter), post up here. Rikuto and myself are in Rochester.

I live about a half hour to 45 minutes away from Rochester. I know one or two guys in the Rochester area that will play DOA, but right now the focus is mostly Tekken from what I seen. I don't play much of either really, been trying to play a bit more DOA, but I'm just more of a VF guy, with lots of old school 2D fighters on the side.

I'd love to play though, I enjoy the offline scene in the area.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
There are a few people that I've run into from the Rochester area that play but they don't really put time into it. Both Rikuto and myself have put it out there that we'd welcome anybody that wants to get casuals in, especially early on, but nothing materialized. Ran into a few people from that group that gets together at RIT down at Summer Jam last year as well but still nothing. If you can get a couple people that are willing to put time in, I'd be willing to host some folks once I get all situated at my new place.

I've tried to get more involved with the local SF and Marvel scenes on a few different occasions but, with a couple exceptions, it's a very closed off and uninviting group to the outside eye. Nobody is rude or even unfriendly, really, more like uninterested. The two friends I brought with to a tournament at that hobby shop that does the gaming room as well as table top stuff (forget the name, obviously) made the same observation. Nobody even so much as tries to say "Hi" to new faces. I believe you are the only person who I've spoken to from that relatively large group outside of an actual match at gatherings. Kinda sad considering I'm not just a DoA player.

In any case, I'm always happy to see new players and I'm willing to help out with rides if it's not too crazy as well as providing a place to get games in. If you come up with anything, even tentative, let me know. I'm not a full fledged TO or anything but I've helped run both SJ6 and NEC's DoA tournaments and I've been behind the scenes on a lot of older events back in the day, so if we get a solid group going we can make things happen. I'll also be at Final Round and EVO and wouldn't mind additional people coming along.

Have we met at EGS or somewhere before? I'm not good with names or faces lol.

I just got back from a session held tonight, managed to squeeze in a few DOA games in, ton of stuff about this game I still don't understand.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
We chatted on I believe AIM a bit a while back unless I'm confusing you with someone else. Really like a lot of somewhat obscure 2D fighters, right? Think that was you. Pretty sure you were at one of the few EGS sessions I did make it to a few years back and you weren't able to make the tournament I mentioned.

EDIT: Obscure might not have been the right word. Older games, though.

If it was AIM you likely had me as crackfools or crackfools85 I believe. I get a lot of shit mixed up when I try to remember things with small details lol.

I can't remember, but yeah, I love me some oldie fighters, mostly 2D, but I'll whip out Battle Arena Toshinden or even the original Dead Or Alive sometimes.

I'd be down for some kind of DOA session with ya sometime though.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
We'll get something going in the near future. Planning to attend EVO or Final Round?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Making friends, I see.

You're not going to break our hearts like all the others, are you?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
That is a good question. If we had hearts to break, we'd be shattered souls by now.

I wish I could attend Evo, really, I do. It's been like a dream for me, but my budget doesn't allow for it.

Final Round might be a possibility though.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
EVO isn't that expensive, honestly. I know people have done it for less than $500 including flight and hotel. Final Round isn't that much less. Keep in mind, a lot of stuff in Vegas, including flights there, tend to be cheaper in hopes of gambling going down.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Except for without the get out of jail free card. Really, though, flying is pretty fun and you do get used to it. Lot safer than driving and a lot of the shit that could go wrong you never even know about because they just take care of it. If there was one event worth getting over that fear for, it's EVO.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I play pretty much everything, though at varying levels of skill lol. I'm pretty solid at Marvel, competent at SFIV, enjoy air dashers quite a bit though I wouldn't necessarily consider myself very good at them in general, and really play just about everything. I try almost all fighters that come out unless they're SNK which I never get into. I liked the first couple SamSho's and it was all downhill from there. Terrible at Garou and KoF. I enjoy Tekken to an extent as well as SC. I really appreciate VF but suck at it.

The only fighters I currently play (and could be considered decent at) are Marvel, SFxT, and DoA5, though DoA is on hiatus for me until the patch. They murdered my character with DoA5 and removed my secondary, but they greatly improved my main in the incoming patch. So yeah. That's where I'm at.

I'm the same, I try to play everything, but I pretty much won't go near Marvel or SF4 unless there is nothing else to play.

I play alot of old stuff on GGPO/Supercade, don't really focus too much on the current stuff, save for VF5FS. I'd like to put more time into DOA5 too. I don't know much about the game really, I started off playing Mila on release day, but I didn't care for her movelist, I tried using Sarah in DOA5 and working on her a bit of VF5FS, but they are just too different for me and I get confused on what to do, so I ended up with Rig who is like the great equalizer for me lol.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'm the same, I try to play everything, but I pretty much won't go near Marvel or SF4 unless there is nothing else to play.

I play alot of old stuff on GGPO/Supercade, don't really focus too much on the current stuff, save for VF5FS. I'd like to put more time into DOA5 too. I don't know much about the game really, I started off playing Mila on release day, but I didn't care for her movelist, I tried using Sarah in DOA5 and working on her a bit of VF5FS, but they are just too different for me and I get confused on what to do, so I ended up with Rig who is like the great equalizer for me lol.

Mila got slapped down a bit by the new patch and Rig got buffed, so you seem to have made a smart call there. I really like Rig but have a little difficulty playing a character like him in DoA. He plays a lot like a Tekken character honestly. I'm pretty solid with him but he's nowhere near what I'd consider a main. Mila is pretty fun pre-patch because of her tackle cancels and all the ways into tackle. If you play her solely as a striker you're going to get crushed unless you've worked out a weird playstyle that nobody else is using.

I'd love to get some games in and I'm not very far from RIT; neither my current place or where I'm moving, as both are in Henrietta. Making it to EGS is problematic because I work until 9 Sun-Thurs.

SilverForte

Nice to see a Rig player, almost no one uses him.

I pretty much play everything myself, my favorites would have to be Tekken, Soul Calibur, Doa, and TvC though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD