ur opinion on safe and unsafe moves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebHead

I actually think its bullshit that they converted a bunch of unsafe moves from DOA4 to safe.

Is this tekken? Thats what makes tekken a shit game (no offense lol I still like it). That a kid can MINDLESSLY throw in a string without a care in the world and be totally safe from it.

Im pretty sure I seen people here actually praising unsafe moves. In DOA4 I used to punish grab kids 24/7. I never did unsafe, only when I was taking a gamble that could pay off. Understand?

The characters I notice it most on are: Christie, Hitomi, Leifang, Kokoro, Kasumi and Helena .. :mad:

Skilletor

You suck at Tekken. This is apparent from the content of your posts. You have no idea what you're talking about. Everything you post is wrong. Please refrain from commenting on that game.

Also, I still have no invite on PSN or XBL.

Skillzilla81

ScattereDreams

Kasumi and Helena are still pretty unsafe. Besides, punishing in DOA isn't much compared to punishing in Tekken. You will pay if you do something unsafe against experienced players in Tekken, especially if the move was whiffed. In DOA it's crap damage and a knock down that completely destroys the standing players' momentum. I have no idea what you're talking about with tekken safe strings. Maybe you're punishing wrong, or using the wrong moves to punish unsafe attacks lol.

ScattereDreams

umm No. Again, ignorance. Hop kicks in Tekken I believe are i15. Most moves are between -12 from -14. Low sweeps and launchers are generally moves that're -15 and beyond. If you don't know frame data, or don't know how to play safe then that's you're fault lol. For the record, EWGF, JFSR, JFJR aren't one button commands and are just frames :D pretty fast launchers, that're safe, but difficult to pull off. I'll take guaranteed damage over guessing any day, clown.

Sounds to me like you're just playing the game wrong considering Tekken is a game about spacing, and precise whiff punishing. You shouldn't be in your opponents face half the time when playing it anyway.

Skilletor

ScattereDreams isn't confused as I read it. Punishment in DoA is shit. You get a strike or a throw that doesn't do much damage. There's little incentive to avoid doing unsafe moves since the reward is usually greater than the risk.

Edit: Are posts being deleted in this thread? I responded to somebody (SilverKhaos, I think), but there's no post there anymore. ScattereDreams seems to be responding to people, but I don't see any other posts, lol.

SilverKhaos

ScatteredDreams isn't confused as I read it. Punishment in DoA is shit. You get a strike or a throw that doesn't do much damage. There's little incentive to avoid doing unsafe moves since the reward is usually greater than the risk.

Well...I haven't had any issue with damage off single strikes. The moves that send people flying usually do a good chunk of damage. That or a grab. Or alternately, do a series of attacks that just mindscrew the opponent. As in, not even a string. Just mixup.

As for incentive...well a, for the challange and satisfaction. For people like me....using safe moves is like turning on God Mode in games where you can. I just start thinking "Why am I even playing at this point? There's no challenge, or obstacles, or goals." It just becomes too mindless for me. If I win, it doesn't mean anything because I was essentially playing a handicapped match. With safe moves....there's no reward. I just feel bad for having to resort to something as gimped as that.

Its like....when someone tries to talk crap after winning with a 100% combo. Its just....why even play if thats what you are going to do? (I realize that's technically different from just safe moves, but I'm putting them all on the "crutch" end of the scale.)

And I'm not saying this to insult people who do it, just saying my viewpoint on the topic itself.

Also, I deleted the post as I realized how I worded it would probably attract trolls/start an argument.

Skilletor

Well...I haven't had any issue with damage off single strikes. The moves that send people flying usually do a good chunk of damage. That or a grab. Or alternately, do a series of attacks that just mindscrew the opponent. As in, not even a string. Just mixup.

As for incentive...well a, for the challange and satisfaction. For people like me....using safe moves is like turning on God Mode in games where you can. I just start thinking "Why am I even playing at this point? There's no challenge, or obstacles, or goals." It just becomes too mindless for me. If I win, it doesn't mean anything because I was essentially playing a handicapped match. With safe moves....there's no reward. I just feel bad for having to resort to something as gimped as that.

Its like....when someone tries to talk crap after winning with a 100% combo. Its just....why even play if thats what you are going to do? (I realize that's technically different from just safe moves, but I'm putting them all on the "crutch" end of the scale.)

Well, you really underestimate your opponent then, since a move is only safe if blocked. You doing a safe move doesn't guarantee you anything. I can still sidestep it, counter, etc. You're purposely neutering yourself for no reason other than some code of honor you seem to have. Which is fine, if that's the way you want to play, just pointing out the flaw in that logic. But I can tell from your posts that you are of a different mindset than I am, so I'll just leave it at that. :)

SilverKhaos

Well, you really underestimate your opponent then, since a move is only safe if blocked. You doing a safe move doesn't guarantee you anything. I can still sidestep it, counter, etc. You're purposely neutering yourself for no reason other than some code of honor you seem to have. Which is fine, if that's the way you want to play, just pointing out the flaw in that logic. But I can tell from your posts that you are of a different mindset than I am, so I'll just leave it at that. :)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding terminology, but as for the handicap, it has nothing to do with honor. Its just the fact that its not fun otherwise. I love uphill battles. And since the point of games is to have fun...

ScattereDreams

ScattereDreams isn't confused as I read it. Punishment in DoA is shit. You get a strike or a throw that doesn't do much damage. There's little incentive to avoid doing unsafe moves since the reward is usually greater than the risk.

Edit: Are posts being deleted in this thread? I responded to somebody (SilverKhaos, I think), but there's no post there anymore. ScattereDreams seems to be responding to people, but I don't see any other posts, lol.

I responded to web head; guess he deleted his comment lol. He was talking about how you do one unsafe move in Tekken = half your life which isn't true unless you're doing something really unsafe. Small punishments in Tekken are similar to small punishments in DOA. Tekken you punish -12 with i10 through i12 jabs and you get 25 - 40pts of damage and FRAME ADVANTAGE. DOA you punish something -9 with i6 or i7 throws you get maybe 30-40pts and a knockdown which is bad for the attacker, because now the person on the ground gets this wake up kick that shuts down my options.

The most normal combo's in Tekken do damage wise; low parries are usually 20-40 points, normal launch punishments without walls are generally 60-80pts from hop kicks and tag combo's that're well executed are 80-90 which isn't half life; sometimes more if it's a special move or on counterhit like EWGF. I've Jann Lee do CB combo's that do more than half life in DOA, and Lei Fang and Bayman take a good quarter just from advanced counters on HCH.

HiguraShiki

Maybe I'm misunderstanding terminology, but as for the handicap, it has nothing to do with honor. Its just the fact that its not fun otherwise. I love uphill battles. And since the point of games is to have fun...
If you love uphill battles, then you should love the fact that you can get punished by a move that is safe on block instead of complaining about it.

shunwong

From what I have gathered this last few months, DOA is not about advantage/disadvantage, it revolves around the stun game. When the game first came everybody was talking about unholdable stuns, guaranteed setups, etc. but the truth is everybody has to play the stun game at some point.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Yeah...no. Locked. Webhead, don't post a topic unless you intend to actually have a discussion. Your posts read like an angry five year old screaming and not understanding why his toys got taken away. You seem utterly incapable of posting anything without immediately attacking someone or something and in most cases it is blatantly obvious you really don't understand your own topics well enough to discuss them in the first place. It's fine to be an asshole; just look at me. But try to be an intelligent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD