Variation of stagger escape system

dawnbringer

I want to propose a variation to stagger escape system of DoA5 and listen to your thoughts about it. I'm not implying that anything should be changed in the actual game regarding stagger escapes.

I don't like current implementation of stagger escapes as I dislike button mashing. Unfortunately, stagger escapes are very important, and there's no downside to doing them on every opportunity.

What do you think if stagger escape could be performed by a single timed button press. Once stagger escape becomes available (i.e. after non-stagger-escapable stun portion) if the button is pressed character escapes immediately. However, right after escape character is forced into normal block stun (blocking animation) for fixed duration. Forced block stun may be standing or crouching, depending on initial stun.

For example, let's use :H+P+K: as stagger escape button, and let forced block stun be 8 frames. Character is hit with a move that inflicts 34 frames of critical stun, with stagger escape being available after 24th frame. If player pushes :H+P+K: on 24th frame he escapes immediately and is forced to block for 8 frames, fully recovering on 32 frame after hit. If :H+P+K: is pressed on 28th frame, character will fully recover on 36th frame.

This makes stagger escape more risky and probably less useful overall, since it can now be punished with a throw or give a free reset. Stagger escape would become more of a weighed decision instead of always beneficial thing to do. It does not affect existing guaranteed combos you know, but does make it easier to escape non-guaranteed ones.

d3v

Copy the input system for Tech Hit/Push Block from Vampire savior where you have to hit at least 3 different buttons in succession for at 25% change, with each button press beyond the initial 3 gives increases your chances.

Kronin

Don't seems me a bad idea. Anyway I have to say that the current system seems to me rewards the skill in the stagger escape process, in some way compensating their effectiveness system.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD