VERSUS BATTLECAST Ep 6: VIRTUA FIGHTER 3 vs DEAD OR ALIVE 2 vs TEKKEN 3

Baron West

He should have been comparing DOA to VF3 and Tekken 3. DOA2 should be compared with VF4 and TTT.

Regardless Tekken 3 is the better game. It outsold both VF3 and DOA2 combined.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Let's see... all three games made significant leaps with said iteration.

VF3 for its time was a remarkable leap in graphics from the Model 2, considering it was 1996. DOA2 was a remarkable leap not only in graphics, but for expanding on the environments as well as the graphics. And Tekken 3 was a remarkable leap in gameplay mechanics... as well as a remarkable leap in the story's timeline.

I liked all three for unique reasons... yes, even Tekken 3. Some of you know where I stand with VF and DOA (very strongly for those curious), so I won't address that as much... but I have to admit, I gotta give Tekken 3 respect for what it accomplished as a solid game in its own right. Hell, they almost had me sold with Gon's inclusion in the PS1 version until I managed to snag Vampire Savior on the import Saturn for a trade. Not to mention it was the first Tekken game I played for almost a month... until Tekken 6 and Zafina.

Still, I have no doubt in my mind if this was Tekken 4 and DOA3.1 in the battlecast instead of the former, Tekken 4 wouldn't stand a chance, lol.

Baron West

I think Baron's thought process is with the time frame of the games.

DOA1: ?? '96
VF3: Sept '96
TK3: Mar '97
DOA2: Oct '99

Exactly. DOA1 Nov '96. There's a huge difference in the games released in 99 compared to the mid 96-97. Going by the console release it's comparing PS1 and a Dreamcast game to a PS2 game. That's not really fair. It's also unnecessary. The first DOA is good enough to stand on it's own compared to the other two...even though it's not exactly better.

It becomes a whole different story when you compare DOA2, VF4 and TTT.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You would be comparing Doa3 to Vf4 and Tk4 since those games came out around the same time. Or Doa2 with Vf3tb and TTT, or Doa1 with vf3 and Tk3.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Savior? Ew. Hunter's where it's at haha.
Hunter had arguably better stages and music, not to mention the Saturn version strongly capitalized on the redundance of the original Darkstalkers on PS1 as far as home releases go at the time. But other than that, Savior 1 felt the most complete in gameplay. Personally I preferred the Dark Force mechanics of Savior 2.

Not to sway too far off topic though, I concur with what Baron's saying now, and VPai even moreso.

Tones

Premium Donor
Not a fair representation of game-play at the end. DOA was pretty scrubby.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD