Community Voting: Match of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius Rage

Crazysteady vs SonicFoxx
This match is a hallmark example of how, through means outside of the competitor’s hands, an ok scrap can be turned into a good fight and how a good fight can be transformed into a great battle. Make no mistake, this was a great battle in and of itself and as frenetic as the action on screen came so too did Tom Brady and Rabies call. Of particular note was the constant attention they paid to the importance of throw punishment – the post-match back and forth on the subject should be something that every new and existing player should go out of their way to listen to.

Oh, and the crowd participation for this match was something I’ve never seen in a DOA match – ever. It took a few rounds but, once the crowd caught on, every Jacky Bryant mid punch hold successfully landed by Steady elicited an in unison, perfectly timed; “YEAH!” from the crowd that would make WWE management take notice. So catchy was the chant that commentator Tom Brady, in a moment of pure elation for what was witnessed, joined in on the final successful hold for a speaker popping “YEAH!” of his own.

Master vs Sweet Revenge
There was this vignette on the Cartoon Network’s old Toonami block about anger versus rage – the message being that anger drives and rage consumes. This series was an example how of anger can be used as a motivational tool, a way to channel your abilities in a positive direction. Watching as the situation became more desperate for Master you could see the expression on his face begin to become dark and as it became so too did the scales even. Ultimately, the surge of emotion was not enough to augment Master’s Busa play, however it did turn a rather pedestrian drubbing into a spirited back and forth.

This match also illustrated the profound stylistic differences between individual characters. At his best, Master was able to nullify any semblance of a spacing game by Sweet Revenge with Hayabusa’s superior mobility – utilizing lots of teleportation techniques - and fast, powerful attacks to quickly close the distance. On the other side of the screen, Sweet Revenge was content to allow Master to play Houdini, capitalizing on his mistakes and punishing openings in the torrent when they became visible. Dead or Alive as a series is fundamentally different because reaction is the more desired attribute versus execution but what makes 5 and 5U different are that, like almost every other competitive fighter, a characters strengths and weaknesses are visible to the naked eye – and this match proves that.

Julius Rage vs Sweet Revenge
This one was a beat down, plain and simple. (I) Julius Rage, took one of the most through ass whippings ever witnessed this side of the Mason Dixon line. There was never – and I do mean never – a point where anyone could have viewed this match and saw it going anywhere but where Sweet Revenge wanted it to go. However, it was a fun/painful ride that produced a flipped over chair, a bunch of taunts, some funny faces and two button presses that helped to eliminate future disqualifications of the same type.

This is because both players lost rounds due to start button presses – Sweet Revenge in the middle of a match, Julius Rage to eliminate himself from the tournament. It was, in no small part, because of this set that Team Ninja implemented a delay to activate the pause menu, which made the prospect of dropping a round in that fashion a near impossibility. Also, Julius Rage landed four Zack beams, retired and cried in the parking lot.

Lopedo vs Mr Wah
Heres a fun fact: There is only one tournament level Bass practitioner in the United States – his name is Mr. Wah. Being that TFC was an event dominated by two characters, Rachel and Alpha, both top tier characters; both who would go on to be featured in the finals - you’d imagine that their only foils would be the two themselves. In this match Mr. Wah proved, if only for a few rounds, that knowing your character, no matter where they sit on the tier list, is often times more important than how powerful the avatar on the opposite side of the screen may be.

Oh and the commentary, the commentary! As pointed out in Steady v. Fox match, a good call can make a match special and Chosen1 certainly helped to lay down something special.

In lieu of another few sentences of me waxing philosophic about the subject, I’ll just fire off a few of C1’s better quotables from the fight.

- “Matt Ponton has come to play ladies and gentlemen!”
- “Bass is HERE!”…..” DOA IS HERE!”
- “ IT’S THE SHOWDOWN! IT’S THE SHOWDOWN!” (Ok, he didn’t say that but you know he wanted to)

Want more? Go watch the fight.

EMP Mamba vs Master
Holy shit, this was a long fucking set. If we’re talking about guys representing what DOA is all about; if we’re talking about high level play from consistently high level players then we’re talking about this match right here. Master and Mamba just went to war here.

Morris summed up Master’s predicament in this match with one simple quote “[Fighting Helena] It’s like boxing with a hurricane.” And yet, once again, Master proved that he has a second gear and once he hits the throttle, no matter how far ahead you may be, he can catch you – and if he can catch you, you better be completely locked in or he will lap you.

This fight also showed off a lot of what makes DOA “DOA”. There was a ton of strategic use of the environments. See: Mamba’s presence of mind to keep his back to the wall on the Sakura stage – in almost every instance, having your back to the wall is the last thing you want but mamba knew that Masters best chance of winning the set on this particular stage was to keep it in doors, so the risk/reward of eating a large chunk of the life bar became an acceptable means to drag Master’s Hayabusa outside where Helena is most effective at “blending” people up.

There are so many more instances of this kind and I could keep typing till the tips of my fingers fall of.

But that’s no fun for either of us – watching this match certainly is though. So why not do that instead?

Last edited:

Requiem

Mamba vs. Master, I think, opened my eyes up to how intense the game could get in a way no other match quite did, when I was starting. So it gets my vote.

(Note; this isn't my vote itself. I'm just saying here how important the match was to me, and I feel like saying it publicly)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
One of my two gripes with Mamba/Master match is the length. It's exhausting to watch and I'm sure it was exhausting to play. Grand Finals first to 4... with a possible reset. Rough.

The second is the commentary, mainly because Rikuto didn't want to do it anyways and it sort of shows.

Requiem

One of my two gripes with Mamba/Master match is the length. It's exhausting to watch and I'm sure it was exhausting to play. Grand Finals first to 4... with a possible reset. Rough.

The second is the commentary, mainly because Rikuto didn't want to do it anyways and it sort of shows.
I have great masochistic tendencies, so the length isn't an issue. But, yeah, I had wished the commentary had been more... upbeat about the proceedings.

Still, when the fight itself was that engaging, I can easily ignore these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD