"What a pain!" The Rig strategy thread.

ScattereDreams

Team Ninja needs to rethink his moveset design in DOA6. His flow into FLA stance is unatural, slow, obvious, and easy to crush/beat out. When I think of TKD characters, I think of characters with strong mixup's, great speed, and scary fake-outs/feints. Rig doesn't seem to have to have this play style, yet I seem like I have to patiently wait and poke my opponent. Another thing, Rig has terrible pokes.

Supersonic

I wasent wanting to complain, but i was thinking the exact same thing. just about everything with him is a mix up that can go only 2 hits deep, and when the opponent has that many chances to guess, they are more likely to guess right. even with his launches, once they see them coming just counder mid kick and you are stopped, it is a shame that i find my self literally afraid to do most of his faster attacks simply because EVERYone knows to just counter high. man if only i picked a more broken character to fall in love with [play style wise] :(

Tokkosho

If you catch the opponent with BND 4F+K, follow with 4P, then free-cancel before you continue the combo on the BT opponent. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
its been awhile since you posted that comment so you probably already know, but since i don't see it anywhere,ill say it.
with BND 4H+K>4P>6P+KP>7K= guaranteed CB at very max stun threshold. so far its the most damaging and guaranteed setup ive found. tho i havent spent much time with him nor do i use him much so you guys gotta tell me how well you can get off the 4H+K

DrDogg

its been awhile since you posted that comment so you probably already know, but since i don't see it anywhere,ill say it.
with BND 4H+K>4P>6P+KP>7K= guaranteed CB at very max stun threshold. so far its the most damaging and guaranteed setup ive found. tho i havent spent much time with him nor do i use him much so you guys gotta tell me how well you can get off the 4H+K

The combo I use from BND 4H+K resets the combo damage just before the launch, but only works if the opponent is trying to slow escape (to get max damage at least). I don't recall the damage on that combo or my non-SE variant, but I'll check.

The damage reset is the only reason I don't go for the CB in this situation. Although I want to say the CB wasn't guaranteed when I was messing around with it. I don't remember. That was months ago though, so I'll go back and revisit it when I play later today.

Tokkosho

What would you guys recommend after cb? The best I found so far for lights is 33K>KK4KK>PP2KK, mids, launcher>KK4KK>PP42K, guaranteed FT and only does 6 damage less than the former IIRC. Don't know bout heavies yet

DrDogg

What would you guys recommend after cb? The best I found so far for lights is 33K>KK4KK>PP2KK, mids, launcher>KK4KK>PP42K, guaranteed FT and only does 6 damage less than the former IIRC. Don't know bout heavies yet

I keep it simple online since it's hard to time Rig's better juggles, but I believe ending his combos with K6KK is slightly more damage than PP2KK. The timing is more strict though. So much so that once I confirmed it "could" hit, I never went back to it again.

EDIT: Okay, I went back to the CB setup you posted. It's not hit-confirmable. You have to assume the BND 4H+K will hit and immediately go into 4P to make sure 6P+KP hits. If you hit-confirm, and the opponent slow escapes, they're too far away to continue the combo all the way to CB.

I want to say that's why I went with my setup instead, but I really don't recall.

how do you do the kick where you catch the opponent with your leg?

BND 6H+KK to an aerial opponent.

xFatalDMG

Wow this thread hasn't been updated in months... Quite disappointing. Now that Ultimate is out, and arcade release is in the works I thought things would be back in circulation...

TakedaZX

I don't think anyone really took an extreme liking to Rig and if they did, they definitely aren't posting here I guess. Dw about it though, just spend sometime in training and matches making up your own strats.

Einzelkind

Well, he didn't get a lot of new stuff anyway. I don't think I noticed any new moves other than :214::K:, which is pretty useless.

xFatalDMG

Based on my time with rig, I dont think he really needs much change. Although, on one hand it would be nice if he had some better mid ranged attacks to add more defense to his play. I feel that is his biggest drawback, in his inability to really sit back and play a good ranged game..

WetNightmare

What I personally struggle with is a general lack of defensive tools, period. Jab is i10, no mids under i13 (last I remember) and no decent crushes, last time I checked ... what methods have others devised as a means of circumventing this shortcoming?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Based on my time with rig, I dont think he really needs much change. Although, on one hand it would be nice if he had some better mid ranged attacks to add more defense to his play. I feel that is his biggest drawback, in his inability to really sit back and play a good ranged game..

I find :6::6::P: to do a fairly decent job at that. He does need some long ranged pokes to makes him better
though.

What I personally struggle with is a general lack of defensive tools, period. Jab is i10, no mids under i13 (last I remember) and no decent crushes, last time I checked ... what methods have others devised as a means of circumventing this shortcoming?

Actually, 10i jab and 13i elbow are pretty good. 1pp is a faily good crush and his 2p is above average as well. Not sure if it's still plus on normal hit or not, but it was a very good 2p.

milechaser

I think it would be good if Rig had some tracking mids from a regular stance. The only tracking mids that I know of for him are from either BND or TLC stance. By the time you execute the command, you're more than likely at a disadvantage already.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I think it would be good if Rig had some tracking mids from a regular stance. The only tracking mids that I know of for him are from either BND or TLC stance. By the time you execute the command, you're more than likely at a disadvantage already.

Clearly you haven't been paying enough attention because 4p tracks and even has a safe follow-up.

xFatalDMG

I have been using a lot of 2p to really keep people off me if they try to mash ppp on me. Great tool for a lot of situations.

Playing VF honestly helps with playing the low jab game and dodging, etc.

Going into flamingo stance pre battle is also really useful for me I find, since it gives me options to mix up from the get go. I can either go into a 1k, K, 4k, basically any K as long as my opponent isnt mashing out PPP.

But if you go up against those types, then the feint mix ups are deadly

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Yeah, his 2p is really good for a doa character and thanks for reaminding me about the pre-battle flamingo. That should be incorporated into everyone's game. I find it pretty helpful to use the 6p+k flaming transition because it moves you forward.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD