What did DOA 4.1 do right?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
75378-TrollFace.png

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Not much But I do think they had some good ideas(that was mostly poorly implemented):
  • Gave SE an actual purpose, giving the player more defensive options.
  • Introduced sabakis,but implemented them in a way that was practically useless. If they were used against mid attacks, they would have been good.
  • Introduced the ability to use low hitting attacks to hit grounded opponents,However, at the expense of any other possibilities of having a good ground game. If they introduced this and left the other aspects of 3.1 ground game alone, this would have been a great addition.
  • In stun DH doing less damage(if they decresed it by 50% that would have did wonders).
  • Giving Parries damage modifiers depending on timing of use was kinda cool.
  • Stagger reverse. What most people do not know, if you just hold :F in 3.1, you turn around sooner than 5 frames,

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'm confused by the last statement. As holding :f while backturned in 3.1 took longer than 5 frames to turn around. This is easily proven by Bass' back-turned pickup granting him +11 and his :3:3:p (17th frame is the hit frame) being guaranteed to hit if you just hold :f as the defender.

In DOA4 it turns around in 2 frames, but it did give an animation when you SE while back turned, which was new.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I'm confused by the last statement. As holding :f while backturned in 3.1 took longer than 5 frames to turn around. This is easily proven by Bass' back-turned pickup granting him +11 and his :3:3:p (17th frame is the hit frame) being guaranteed to hit if you just hold :f as the defender.

In DOA4 it turns around in 2 frames, but it did give an animation when you SE while back turned, which was new.

I forgot the exact method(its been awhile).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD