What system should the DOA IPL League be played on?

Which system would you rather compete on in the DOA IPL league?

• Total voters

NukNuks

Not bad to you maybe, but to others its pretty significant. Top that with the potential of also having a laggy monitor and you have a bad experience waiting to happen. Why half ass and go for something "manageable" when there is a better version out there? And if you give me the controller excuse BS then I'm going to slap you upside the head. Anyone traveling for a tournament should be prepared and either have two controllers, a stick, or a converter. I personally bought a converter that works amazingly well. A pad is NOT a reason to pick one system over the other. I don't care if its only 1 frame or 10 frames, the delay exists on the ps3 and the xbox version runs way smoother. There is literally no legit reason to use the ps3 version over the xbox version.
Chuuurch

Chaos

And yet the PS3 version was supposed to be equal compared to the 360 version......smh....shame on TN :(. At least Namco can handle the PS3 better.

DrDogg

Hypothetical: How do we know the PS3 lags by 1 frame? Perhaps the 360 runs too fast by 1 frame?

I haven't looked at any of the research, just figured I'd ask. With Capcom games it's easy to determine because there's an arcade counterpart to compare it to. Do we know how Team Ninja intended the game to be played? PS3 was the lead console, the 360 was the port so... just tossing that out there.

Jefffcore

yeah people complaining about 1 frame need to get laid.
It's like playing online while you're offline. Who wants to go to a tournament where the game isn't running full speed?

Hypothetical: How do we know the PS3 lags by 1 frame? Perhaps the 360 runs too fast by 1 frame?

I haven't looked at any of the research, just figured I'd ask. With Capcom games it's easy to determine because there's an arcade counterpart to compare it to. Do we know how Team Ninja intended the game to be played? PS3 was the lead console, the 360 was the port so... just tossing that out there.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

It's not that it's a 1 frame delay for the PS3, it's that the PS3 has one more frame of delay than the 360. The 360 I believe is 7 frames, and the PS3 is 8 frames. That's based on the video linked above, but I also have no idea what equipment or methods they're using to record the exact delay.

DrDogg

It's like playing online while you're offline. Who wants to go to a tournament where the game isn't running full speed?

Online is variable lag. This is not. It's very different.

This compares it to DOA4. That still doesn't answer the question as to how Team Ninja intended the game to be played. Looking at this, it appears as though DOA5 360 has 1 frame of lag and PS3 has 2 frames of lag. Or... DOA5 runs 2 frames slower than DOA4 and 1 frame too fast on 360.

It's not that it's a 1 frame delay for the PS3, it's that the PS3 has one more frame of delay than the 360. The 360 I believe is 7 frames, and the PS3 is 8 frames. That's based on the video linked above, but I also have no idea what equipment or methods they're using to record the exact delay.

But that's comparing it to DOA4. Still doesn't tell us how DOA5 is meant to be played.

Not saying this analysis is incorrect, just wondering if we actually know the reality of the situation.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
But that's comparing it to DOA4. Still doesn't tell us how DOA5 is meant to be played.

It's not "comparing it to DOA4". It's providing its analysis of frame delay, and also providing the analysis of frame delay for DOA4.

Either way, I don't see how its logical to say that the 360 is responding "faster than designed" as being a bad thing. I know you're trying to see the glass half full in such a situation so I understand where you're coming from. However, I don't think it's a valid argument to make that the game wasn't *meant* to be played with either delay. There are many things that the community has had to decide on without the input of what the designer actually meant to do.

We're both sitting on the fence with this question so I'm not trying to argue or anything of the such, just providing the facts as best given: The Xbox 360 version of Dead or Alive 5 responds to input one frame faster than the PlayStation 3 version.

DR2K

Online is variable lag. This is not. It's very different.

This compares it to DOA4. That still doesn't answer the question as to how Team Ninja intended the game to be played. Looking at this, it appears as though DOA5 360 has 1 frame of lag and PS3 has 2 frames of lag. Or... DOA5 runs 2 frames slower than DOA4 and 1 frame too fast on 360.

Not saying this analysis is incorrect, just wondering if we actually know the reality of the situation.

I would imagine if the intended delay was to be 2 frames, then it would be emulated on the 360 version.

I don't see the purpose in any sort of delay in a fighting game.

NightAntilli

How the game is 'meant to be played' is irrelevant. 6 frames of input lag is the same as playing a game at 30fps instead of 60fps in terms of responsiveness. There is no reason whatsoever to make a game less responsive, other than giving the engine and hardware more time to calculate things. There is no option here other than 'lower is better'. Besides, even if 7 frame input lag really was the way the game was meant to be played, why didn't they just add the extra frame on the X360? Keeping input lag down is one of the most difficult things in game programming, so if the game was meant to be played that way, it would actually be easy to implement it on the X360. The only reason the PS3 has one more frame is because its hardware is inefficient, and that's all there is to it.

RoboJoe

Does it even matter? The ideal is zero frames of delay from button press to whatever is supposed to happen on screen. Even if TN intended the extra frame, that's still no reason to choose the console that's further from the desired zero frames of delay.

Edit: ninja'd by a guy who should be sleeping right now.

NightAntilli

Is it possible for TN to patch the 1 frame delay? I doubt it.
Probably not. I'm quite confident that it has to do with the split memory in the PS3, in which the data in it has to be synced with the CPU before being sent to the GPU, while having two memory pools running at different speeds, requiring an additional frame. If that's the case, patching it is pretty much impossible. I'm not sure what the additional frame (compared to DOA4) on the X360 is though. Ideally I'd love to have the DOA4 input lag. I immediately noticed a difference when I picked up DOA5.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Yeaaaa... I'm not going to entertain the idea that added lag is better for any fighting game.

Chaos

Im telling you, Im serious telling you....if the PSVita version ended up being superior than the PS3 ver. I would lmao. :eek:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD