What's the difference between Counter and Hi-Counter?

Edmund

As above.

I'm doing the tutorial in DOA5U and I know how to Counter STRIKES.

But how do I Hi Counter STRIKES?

I press 4H to counter a strike.

So now I'm at the part where it asks me to Hi Counter a strike also by pressing 4H.
And it just registers as Counter. I tried about 20+ times before it registered as a Hi Counter. But I don't know how I managed to pull it off.

If Hi Counter is also pulled off as 4H, then...what's the difference between a normal Counter and a Hi Counter then? I'm confused.

RoboJoe

I haven't done the tutorial, but I think you mean counter holds (which counter strikes), counter strike is a separate term also called counter blow.

Anyway, what you need to do is do the 4H on the last frame I believe. Basically, do it just before the move hits you.

Edmund

I don't know what's going on either.

As I said, I know that pressing 4H counters a mid punch.

In the tutorial, the AI is doing a mid punch and I'm supposed to do a 4H to do a Hi Counter, but all I'm getting is a Counter. And in one of the many attempts, I managed to pull off the Hi Counter but I don't know how I managed to do that.

And that's the thing that's confusing me.

qoodname

Its based on your timing. I dont know the exact frame window for hi counter holds but basically just hold right before the oppontents move connects.

Edmund

Thanks so much guys! Managed to pull it off and understand the meaning of High Counter Holds already!

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
For the purposes of the Tutorial you can also do a Hi Counter strike. Similar timing window, you're just making sure the active frames of your move hit before their move goes into active frames (active=the part of the animation you can be hit or hit them in). Glad you got it though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD