Why Do You Main Christie?

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Noticed a trend here, so I thought I'd follow suit.

Title's self-explanatory.

ILYA✰

it's quite simple actually..
I like a challenge and Christie isn't the easiest character out there to be honest!
Winning with her gives me more satisfaction than winning with anyone else..

Christie's character design is cool and overall her story is kick-ass. Not the regular ninja BS.
Also, I dont count her as one of the fan-service bimbos in this game. Yes, she is sexy as hell but have you seen an assassin that looked like Mother Theresa? Didn't think so. :)

oh, and if someone is familiar with Guilty Gear, I main Millia in that series.
Says alot :D

MasterHavik

Well let me change the question.

"Why are you considering to you Christie?"

Well Awemic is a great guy. And I finally realize her and Tina were not anime rejects. She also plays a little like Zack. now I jsut need to learn more combos with her. >.<

Mmm I fell in like with Christie during DOA3. I've always been a fan of cool, calm, and badass females characters like hers weather it be The Major, The Boss, or Balalaika oh and Azula. I'm a sap for a cock sure grin and mean streak and Christie has both of those as well as having the later in spades. It wasn't until DOA4 where like turned into love. Taking on and beating Bayman and holding off both Ayane and Hayabusa at the same time, toying with Eliot(poor kid)after dropping a frickin chopper and then telling Helena that she had been the one behind her mothers death sealed the deal for me. I was like "YOU COLD HEARTED BITCH YOU ARE SO COOL!" Plus her gameplay in 4 was great. She has only gotten cooler with this game and although her play style is completely different I relish the challenge bros.

FakeSypha

But... but why? I don't even know. Sometimes I think my playstyle is too defensive to main a character who excels in rushdown and going full offensive. I'm slowly trying to adapt to that, but whatever. I'm used to her moveset, I like her moveset, I like her quickness, and evasiveness, I like her sweeps and low pokes.

Other than that I liked her aesthetics when I first saw her. Short, white haired sexy female with a strong voice.... so there you go. That would be the answer. :oops:

Scornwell

I have a thing for ruthless women. That's probably why I used Juri in SSF4.
Other than aesthetics, Christie's interpretation of She Quan is probably the most interesting and unique style in the game. Miles cooler than boring old karate variants and Bruce Lee copycats.

xOmniCloudx

Fun moveset, like the character's style and personality and in a lot of cases cases platinum haired British characters with mean streaks and their natural voice are appealing to me. Although learning how to play her effectively is hard to me. Getting back into the game and tackling her is a lot different than it is to tackle Tina who I play as much as Christie and have as much fun with. How would you guys rank Christie's learning curve anyway? I wish I had her frame data.

ILYA✰

Hmmm i think it was alot of try and error for me... At least it felt like that during my Dimensions time..
Then all of a sudden I was the Christie out there :D

Of course i have alot to learn, still, but winning isnt that much of a struggle anymore!

The data provided in training mode has helped me lots!
You should try it out big time!

xOmniCloudx

I
Hmmm i think it was alot of try and error for me... At least it felt like that during my Dimensions time..
Then all of a sudden I was the Christie out there :D

Of course i have alot to learn, still, but winning isnt that much of a struggle anymore!

The data provided in training mode has helped me lots!
You should try it out big time!
I heard that it was inaccurate as it got frame information wrong on various attacks for characters. Finding info about this iteration of the game that's concrete has been a nightmare for me. It feels like it's just scattered everywhere compared to other games to me. I think my safest bet would be to just watch high level Christies (Electric Mann's Christie is the best I've seen yet) and base my playstyle around that but add my own touch to it as I get better and familiar with what works for me and doesn't in matches.

ILYA✰

Yuh at least the game guide is lacking in christie's part since there is stuff missing...
Watching the pros is a good thing!
Though i like to watch my enemies, not really take influence from other christie players. (Not that there are too many out there haha)

xOmniCloudx

Yeah, sadly not too many Christies and even less good ones. Knowing other characters is equally important as knowing your own so I try to find a lot of character variety too. If not enough I'll watch high level matches of other characters and things to watch out for. My problem is just organizing it properly due to the way the DOA system works. I made my own document and thinking about specifically giving things their own sections. Stuff like safe moves, good whiff punishers, frame advantage tactics, highest damaging juggles, pros and cons of some things even outside frame data and such. Just trying to have it all conveniently in one place for reference instead of having to shuffle through and find it and then wonder if it's even up to date.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
WARNNG: Long-ass post ahead.

My earliest experience with DOA as a game dates back to the Saturn import of DOA, where at the time I was big on the Darkstalkers games and playing the hell out of Vampire Savior. I loved it. It had something I believed no other 3D fighter had: Accessibility, and women who were actually attractive. DOA2 came along a few years later, and I was floored by the immense graphical overhaul and the innovative use of environments. Helena became a temporary favorite of mine while this game remained the talk of the town.

Fast forward circa 2001, I hear the next DOA game makes the biggest gamble in console-shifting to a console I know little about. I grew with worry, believing the series won't make much profit outside of PS2, where a variety of fighters were prominent and more established. November came, and DOA3 was among the launch titles to represent the new console's premier fighting game. That console was the Xbox. I saw no advertisements prior to the game's release, and bought and played the game on blind faith, with doubts on the back of my mind that I would be playing a flawed final product. I was proven wrong. Not only was the game flawless in presentation and graphics, the gameplay was just as I remembered it. I tried out one of the newest characters, Christie, to begin. Not only was her looks and her measurements interesting, she seemed to play a bit like Lion Rafale from the Virtua Fighter series, and my curiosity about her only grew with each moment I played her. After five minutes, I was on the verge of defeating the final boss. Initially, I believed the game would still have those lackluster in-game graphics endings. Much to my surprise, the game instead used full CGI endings. To think the first character I played would have a sexy brief shower scene shocked and surprised me, especially given the previous content of the endings of the past games.

[media]

After seeing this, and hearing incredible news on how many units were sold, I was proud to be an Xbox owner, and never doubted Microsoft's potential ever since. In addition, Christie became my new favorite in the series. It also helped that her voice actress - Kotono Mitsuishi - is a legend in Japan (With some interesting roles such as Misato from Evangelion, Excel from Excel Saga, Boa Hancock from One Piece, and above all Sailor Moon, why wouldn't she be?) I liked the character so much that I went out of my way to buy the Platinum Hits version copy of the same game just because Christie was on the dad-gummed cover, which I honestly wasn't expecting.

As DOA hit its stride on the Xbox, it was later announced a volleyball game would be made. But I had an idea of how they would make it interesting by having the focus be on the women. The very thought of Christie parading around semi-nude was enough to get me hyped. Around 2003, I bought into the scandalous hype surrounding the game and bought DOAX. I initially expected it would serve as a means of wardrobe expansion for the next DOA fighter, but later found out that wouldn't be the case. Lucky for me, I was open-minded enough to enjoy this game after playing other "collecting" games like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing. It was enough for me to get the idea of playing DOAX as a whole. The nifty use of custom soundtracks wasn't a bad idea either. Nobuo Uematsu's music was my solution to getting through it all.

As DOAX grew popular (in controversy or otherwise), I would eventually stumble across the internet in the hopes of finding a DOA site that had good wallpaper. This would mark my earliest experience with the DOA community in general, dating way back to the days of Neotaku, where at the time I was more a fundamentalist when it came to appreciating DOA. I wasn't always the same person you guys may have seen here so far. I was a lot more laid back and less insecure back then. I did little posting at the Neotaku forums, and mostly went there to collect information on obtaining every swimsuit I can.

Ninja Gaiden trailer and talk aside, DOA Ultimate was announced. But this time, it was more than just a remake of the first two games with the DOAX graphics engine. It was landmarked as the first (good) fighting game with online play via video game console. Through this, a new community was born. DOAC. A DOA community where the site's then-prominent focus was on the fighting games themselves and making it competitive. But unfortunately for me, I couldn't take part in any of it, as I went nearly 2 years without personal internet access. So by the time I was at DOAC, I was very late in the competitive scene. It may have been good for me though, as Christie was not included as a bonus character in DOA2U as well as Hitomi. So I didn't sweat it.

DOA4 became the big talked about subject at the former DOAC in the fall of 2005, and on October of that year, I became a member there. I had gone through a roller-coaster of drama, self-confidence issues, and hardships, but like any other community where competition is paramount, there are always some cool people to hang around with, and that kept me going. Through my dedication to learning Christie in DOA4 - and the somewhat fanatical obsession with Christie that drove me to it - I'd become a unique individual there. Some said I was weird, others said I was funny. Some said I was too soft, others said I was reasonable. Some said I had an unhealthy obsession with Christie, others said I had to do what I had to do to stay motivated with learning Christie. Whatever the case, I never got too caught up on myself with the new things I learned over the years. I was always improving.

As if to test the strength of my dedication, the online patch for DOA4 arrived in February 2006. Christie from then on went from high tier to low-mid, if not low tier. Her overall damage on holds and throws were reduced, and her punch strings were reduced in stun property. However her Dokuja-Fujin stance moves gained some usefulness, and through trial and error (and help from an older player called OptimusPrime 169), I learned to apply this the best way I can, eventually creating a guide for DOA 4.1's Christie.

In closing, I want to make some clarifications to the points I'm making in this long passage:

- This isn't for promoting myself, and it isn't saying I'm the best Christie player, I would actually have to go out and compete often to prove that, which is in no way easy for me.

- I'm not saying you should have constant wet dreams about a character you like. For some of you, your reasons for liking the character CAN be different. The most important question you should ask yourself is if you're happy using that character? Is your fundamental mindset about that character equal to or greater than your will to master that character no matter how many times you fall? And if you fall, will you get back up again? These are the questions you should ask yourself when finding the balanced mentality of dedication.

- Always practice humility before pride. Sometimes people can get lost in their ego when they learn something new about their character and make up in their minds that they're invincible. And when the time comes when you're on the receiving end, you have a better chance of having your pride shattered and humiliated on all fronts. It's not to say that you should never appreciate the things you learned to help make you a better player, but it is saying that it's best put in moderation. It's nice to be self-confident, but others acknowledging you of their own free will is even better.

- If you do find that character, and you do have a strong will of dedication to that character, do not drop that character. In certain communities, people will say many things about you. Some good, some bad, some things NSFW. But as long as you are dedicated to a character you love to play, consume more knowledge than despair, apply that knowledge, and never give up, people will look at you differently. But do not get me wrong. Life is not all sunshine and rainbows when more people come to accept you. There's always gonna be someone (if not a few people) who simply doesn't like you. The solution is simple: Forget 'em, and look at what you do have and the positive things (not necessarily material things) you left behind through your dedication.

I believe that my story, in some way or another, will somehow relate to someone who, like myself, is a DOA fan in the fundamental sense, yet feels they cannot coexist among the other side of DOA fandom that is the love of the game. I also hope that this will help pave the way for two sides of DOA fandom to unite, even if it's one person at a time. Finally, I hope if you do decide to become a DOA player, you find those diamonds in the rough who will step your game up and make you a stronger person for enduring what I have endured.

There have been many inconsistencies about myself as a member in the DOA community and as a person, but through my dedication as both a Christie fan and a Christie player, I have an identity. I have purpose. Find your unique desire with DOA and expand upon it. Take it to the next level. The road may be difficult, but you will never be lost if you have the right people to push you forward. That aside, you now know why I never drop Christie. She and I are one. She is my equilibrium. My personal balance of the fundamental mindset and the competitive mindset... it works for me personally. Through happiness and despair, victories and losses, blood, sweat, and tears, I can play her and still enjoy playing her... and I shall never drop her.

For those who actually read this, thank you for reading, and I hope you find inspiration somehow.

Kritoth

Sorry in advance for necro-posting.

For me I like momentum characters first, evasive next, and rush down last. In all the experience I've had with fighting games my main's and secondary's have always followed this pattern.

E.G:Soul Calibur 2

Seoung-Mina
Talim
Cassandra

Since, Helena, my favorite DOA momentum character is, arguably, lower tier. I have yet to find an alternative.
So the next choice was an evasive character. Ayane would seem the logical choice, but I never really played her seriously in DOA2U, and found her hard to learn at the time.

next is rush-down. Christie has that too with her fast pokes. (Though more high and low strikes would be welcome)

My online W/L ratio leans largely on the loss side, so I practice as much as possible. (Though it's somewhat less effective, since I can only do so against the computer as my internet connection might as well be 1-bar.)

Also I'm a big fan of any animal kung-fu style as well. (Still wish we could get eagle style in her. Lei-Fei from VF is the closest 3d FGs have gotten to one.)

E-Mann

I main Christie because I've always had a thing for the bad girls of any game. As well as any character that was very unique among other characters. She's beautiful, strong, cold, lightning fast, smart, and complete badass. What more could you want? ;)

Derga

Just kinda happened. Was getting pretty tired of playing Bass/Helena all day along, and decided to give her a try, even though in past iterations I've sucked with her. Then noticed, that I was actually learning something. Great mixups, evasiveness, and the sense of overwhelming your opponent with a nonstop flurry of blows is great.
She's also pretty badass.... and has a 9 frame jab.

Mestizo

Standard Donor
- I'm not saying you should have constant wet dreams about a character you like. For some of you, your reasons for liking the character CAN be different. The most important question you should ask yourself is if you're happy using that character? Is your fundamental mindset about that character equal to or greater than your will to master that character no matter how many times you fall? And if you fall, will you get back up again? These are the questions you should ask yourself when finding the balanced mentality of dedication.

- Always practice humility before pride. Sometimes people can get lost in their ego when they learn something new about their character and make up in their minds that they're invincible. And when the time comes when you're on the receiving end, you have a better chance of having your pride shattered and humiliated on all fronts. It's not to say that you should never appreciate the things you learned to help make you a better player, but it is saying that it's best put in moderation. It's nice to be self-confident, but others acknowledging you of their own free will is even better.

- If you do find that character, and you do have a strong will of dedication to that character, do not drop that character. In certain communities, people will say many things about you. Some good, some bad, some things NSFW. But as long as you are dedicated to a character you love to play, consume more knowledge than despair, apply that knowledge, and never give up, people will look at you differently. But do not get me wrong. Life is not all sunshine and rainbows when more people come to accept you. There's always gonna be someone (if not a few people) who simply doesn't like you. The solution is simple: Forget 'em, and look at what you do have and the positive things (not necessarily material things) you left behind through your dedication.

damn seems just like myself haha. But yano, with Tina.

PLUG IN YOUR MIC!!!@)(*#&#*#

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD