Why the QQ?

Lulu

Alpha's tons of fun... whether you fight her or wield her.... the asymmetry in her mechanics gives DoA the breath of fresh air it needs sometimes.
I don't like her juggles though.... feels like theres only two strings worth juggling with.

synce

I tend to only do max damage juggles with any character so it doesn't bother me too much. In fact I'll never get tired of chasing people down after 6PPP. So many of them fall for the 8T afterwards, very satisfying :p

Lulu

You know... thats the best part about Alpha, shes more fun when you breakout the Throws and Parries.
Is it just me or was she much harder to fight in Story Mode ? The Damage in that fight just didn't seem to add up...... just like in the very last fight.... their health seemed higher than usual.

Intelligent Alpha

You know... thats the best part about Alpha, shes more fun when you breakout the Throws and Parries.
Is it just me or was she much harder to fight in Story Mode ? The Damage in that fight just didn't seem to add up...... just like in the very last fight.... their health seemed higher than usual.

The throws & parries aren't that great - long animations, lots of frames, can easily be beaten out (strikes/counter throws). You as the opponent have absolutely no business being caught by them!

The parry ain't shit unless she's on a wall since you have you run up to your opponent afterwards and it's risky as hell as are her FTs. (Oh and don't forget, she can only parries two spots, so guess where the opponents are going?

IDK as an in your face character, she's "mashy," if not, she runs away too much! She has access to everything the rest of the roster does (that includes defensively?) She may not be able to counter, but she can still BLOCK! (that's defense, too, isn't it?) High Risk/High Reward, but wouldn't that imply using a character intelligently? (ie: Phase 4. who is a boss in her own right?)

But yeah, she is fun to play with despite being frustrating, too, very often!

Lulu

The throws & parries aren't that great - long animations, lots of frames, can easily be beaten out (strikes/counter throws). You as the opponent have absolutely no business being caught by them!

The parry ain't shit unless she's on a wall since you have you run up to your opponent afterwards and it's risky as hell as are her FTs. (Oh and don't forget, she can only parries two spots, so guess where the opponents are going?

IDK as an in your face character, she's "mashy," if not, she runs away too much! She has access to everything the rest of the roster does (that includes defensively?) She may not be able to counter, but she can still BLOCK! (that's defense, too, isn't it?) High Risk/High Reward, but wouldn't that imply using a character intelligently? (ie: Phase 4. who is a boss in her own right?)

But yeah, she is fun to play with despite being frustrating, too, very often!

All my throws are "Psychic Throws" whether its 8 frames or twenty frames, the only character whom I can actually throw on reaction with is Rachel... so thats no big deal to me.... besides, one of Alpha's long throws is a catch grab.... speed is only an issue if you miss.

The parries are awesome where ever you are, don't know what you're talking about. ;)

Intelligent Alpha

All my throws are "Psychic Throws" whether its 8 frames or twenty frames, the only character whom I can actually throw on reaction with is Rachel... so thats no big deal to me.... besides, one of Alpha's long throws is a catch grab.... speed is only an issue if you miss.

The parries are awesome where ever you are, don't know what you're talking about. ;)

No, they aren't actually! I get the huge KB, but she has strings that cause KB anyway, Again, you have to run to your opponent after it happens to close the gap. This is risky since the opponent can herp & derp a wuk whereas Alpha can obviously not! And she only as one parry. If you are referring to her normal no damage crossup holds, it becomes a frame war. Often times (and it's DOA, so not the player's fault, tbh), opponents will continue a string turning on a dime (Alpha can, too, but her doing so is deemed stupid).

This is what I mean when I say she has to play by different rules though it's supposed to be the same for everybody. She can't throw because too much damage is dealt. She can't pressure since "she's mashy," and has combos for days. She can't space because "she'll win!"

Right now, you're in the "having fun," mode and just noticing the good, but the bad and ugly will come into play. By then, I hope you'll have put things in perspective! That's all I'm saying!

Intelligent Alpha

Wait is the parry still blockable? I've never had anyone block it. Doesn't seem blockable in training either

Yep! Maybe they patched it out, but I definitely remember seeing it blocked! It may be better ot test against a human. But if the attack part is faster than 5 frames (since this is what it takes to RTN from BTS to block).

Even if the opponent doesn't block it - I've already stated how many will react once they tech up or HAB to do a wakeup attack! Again, you miss a shit ton of damage if it is done away from a wall. (There's a reason for Kasumi's placement for that particular combo in CC)

Lulu

I don't think its Blockable..... it might be duckable, thats what I do when I'm bt and at disadvantage.

No, they aren't actually! I get the huge KB, but she has strings that cause KB anyway, Again, you have to run to your opponent after it happens to close the gap. This is risky since the opponent can herp & derp a wuk whereas Alpha can obviously not! And she only as one parry. If you are referring to her normal no damage crossup holds, it becomes a frame war. Often times (and it's DOA, so not the player's fault, tbh), opponents will continue a string turning on a dime (Alpha can, too, but her doing so is deemed stupid).

This is what I mean when I say she has to play by different rules though it's supposed to be the same for everybody. She can't throw because too much damage is dealt. She can't pressure since "she's mashy," and has combos for days. She can't space because "she'll win!"

Right now, you're in the "having fun," mode and just noticing the good, but the bad and ugly will come into play. By then, I hope you'll have put things in perspective! That's all I'm saying!

No you don't, you can just wait for your opponent to come to you, I mean thats what The AI does, and it works....... sometimes. It will definitely work against someone whos continuing their strings, they obviously aren't confifming their hits, you can punish them for it, thats not unique to Alpha thats how you play everycharacter in this game.... as I just learned when using Sarah last night, I had mix ups for days but sometimes its better to go for The High Counter Throw, even if you don't use a grappler.....
The lack of a wake up kick.... well this one is tricky, you can force every other character in the game to play like Aplha just by stomping on them every time they try to wake up kick. Thats why I started using Alpha in the first place, I didn't have the discipline to stop wake up kicking by myself.

I wouldn't say she plays by different rules entirely, she just play differently, infact the only thing thats really different is the Wake Up kicks, the throws and weight aren't a difference in kind but a difference in scale, and all the characters have differences in Scale..... isn't that what you want from different characters ? Asymmetry is awesome, embrace it !

Intelligent Alpha

Then, explain to me, how everybody says straight pressure to beat her, but respect everyone else? I don't get it

I've embraced the balanced nature of the character (it just seems asymmetrical). I'm saying people rather take the easy way out, but it's risky if she does the same. Criticized if she plays it safe, meanwhile, it's okay for the other characters!

Every time I go Helena or Rachael, the dynamic changes, but opponents can do the same two those two.

Lulu

Then, explain to me, how everybody says straight pressure to beat her, but respect everyone else? I don't get it

I've embraced the balanced nature of the character (it just seems asymmetrical). I'm saying people rather take the easy way out, but it's risky if she does the same. Criticized if she plays it safe, meanwhile, it's okay for the other characters!

Every time I go Helena or Rachael, the dynamic changes, but opponents can do the same two those two.

You're not trying to beat Alpha.... shes just a character..... you're trying to beat the person wielding her...... if you pressure the wrong Alpha player then it can backfire.... every character in the game can be played in different ways..... some more so than others.

I play my Alpha like a Zoning Grappler.

Intelligent Alpha

You're not trying to beat Alpha.... shes just a character..... you're trying to beat the person wielding her...... if you pressure the wrong Alpha player then it can backfire.... every character in the game can be played in different ways..... some more so than others.

I play my Alpha like a Zoning Grappler.

Nope. It's the character. If not everyone wouldn't use or say to use the same method! I can't believe you deny this! I told someone that very thing! Whether it's me or a top tourney player, the strat to beat whomever is using her - doesn't change!

Intelligent Alpha

It does if shes the one applying the pressure.... ;)

Ah, but you see, as that seems to be ger biggest strength, it is also her biggest weakness! The pressuring makes no difference if she's having trouble applying it whether it be the easy method in not letting her get started or stopping it once it does get started. Most prefer the former than the latter. Wonder why.

I see this shit too often: Pressure her all day, then throw out a "random" counter! (Her opponent needn't be at 2% life either)

Lulu

Ah, but you see, as that seems to be ger biggest strength, it is also her biggest weakness! The pressuring makes no difference if she's having trouble applying it whether it be the easy method in not letting her get started or stopping it once it does get started. Most prefer the former than the latter. Wonder why.

I see this shit too often: Pressure her all day, then throw out a "random" counter! (Her opponent needn't be at 2% life either)

Doesn't that apply to every character ? Its pretty much the same thing with Rig and Sarah.... and Pai..... and Kokoro.

Intelligent Alpha

Wait people really thought Alpha was fine in vanilla?

Maybe not fine, but they did do alot of unnecessary crap since then! But yeah, clearly she's fine now!

I never actually got around to getting 300 Titles to unlocking Alpha so I don't know what shes like. :(

I used her in Vanilla (didn't have online though). To me, she wasn't that bad. Her AI was doing stuff we couldn't, but that's neither here nor there! Other than the multiple changes ("fixes" my ass!) up to now, the biggest was giving her a WUK. However, issue is not with the kick itself or the special circumstance! It's the fact, that it is completely negated and has been! If she was grounded in vanilla, she had no way to get up accept by teching and everyone screamed and still do about the invincibility frames. Now, she certainly has no way to get up due to FTs because folks assume she will wuk when in position. (ie: you can't/shouldn't "herp-n-derp" it)

Not to mention, a certain setup having to be tweaked (KKKKK getting KB properties, when that was one of the worst, yet easiest CB setups. Not only that, nerfing and buffing the wrong moves! @synce had that list somewhere.

Dedicated mains will tell you, she was better in Vanilla even with what she lacked.

Lulu

LoL.... that must have been good times... but shes still cool now.... well other than the fact that it is possible to get Kill Combos on her.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD