XBOX Now Offers You the Most Complete DOA Experience

If you own one of the many versions of XBOX ONE you now have complete access to Dead or Alive 1-6 in one official place. This information was leaked sometime last week and was made official yesterday at the 20th Anniversary celebration of XBOX. The hype is all over the Internet, and this is not new information, but allow us to throw in a few more details that could pique your interest further and possibly garner your attention to join the "XBOX family."

For your convenience the prices will be listed for all of the "new" backwards compatible games, but if you still have all of your Dead or Alive games from the past you don't need to pay a dime as you can simply put in the original discs and boom, you are in the club, and you are ready to go. You will be prompted to install the game off the disc and it's yours forever and playable with the click of a button.

To think that people are raving over this and wanted it for years, but yet Sony turned their back on this idea and said "we want to make new games" which is hardly what we have seen with PS5. If you wanted to do this on Playstation you would need to have three or four consoles hooked up to your television (and you still wouldn't have Ultimate, 3 or 4 at all). In other words: this is a big deal for the DOA community.

Dead or Alive 1: Ultimate is priced on the marketplace at a reasonable 10 USD and the game is now at a 4K resolution for the very first time in its official form. This not only preserves this underrated game, but in the absolute best way possible. Sadly the game is no longer available online, because the original XBOX Live servers no longer work. Raidou will dominate you in 4K, you can play with your friends locally or maybe even have a little money match at your next offline tournament to see who the best old-school player really is. My personal recommendation: if you don't own it - buy it. DOA1 is a fantastic game that was tragically buried and over-shadowed by Tekken 3 back in the day.

Dead or Alive 2: Ultimate is priced slightly higher at 15 USD and has been a fan-favorite for years and probably will be for years to come thanks to the 4K update. There is not a lot that needs to be said here as your eyeballs will identify quickly that other fighting games have never looked this good. The seamless environments, the gorgeous lighting and character models will make you say "wow." Once again there is no online with this game, but when there is a will there is a way. If you hated the groggy XBOX 360 experience back in the day, do not worry, your cut scenes will look beautiful and the game runs like a dream.

Recently Matt Ponton dominated a Dead or Alive 2 tournament via PC emulation. A great amount of people have shown interest with DOA tournaments for the older entries, and with XBOX it might be more convenient than it ever has been before to get something like this started for offline events. If you are playing a DOA game offline or online in a competitive format it will be covered in someway at Free Step Dodge.

Dead or Alive 3 was a day one game on the original XBOX also priced at 15 USD from the XBOX Live Marketplace. The WONDERFUL news here is that you can put your original 3.1 or 3.2 disc into your XBOX Series X AND PLAY IT. Some of you collectors out there might be playing your awesome game for THE VERY FIRST TIME! So please do enjoy. This is widely considered by Dead or Alive veterans as one of the best fighters of all time as there were tweaks and updates done later on that the American release NEVER received since the American version came out first. We're being told by a few people that you can also set your console region to get the better version, but more verification is needed on that as everyone on the FSD team owns a 3.1 disc. The costume booster pack appears installed by default regardless of the version you install.

Dead or Alive 4 is priced at 20 USD and in my opinion it should probably be priced at 15, but if you don't own it and you want it now I guess 20 isn't the worst. This is the only game that has not been upscaled, but it is naturally a better looking game on Series X. As Emery Reigns pointed out the game has a TON of lobbies going right now so this release has made it available to more people, and if you didn't know Dead or Alive 4 is the longest running online console fighting game of ALL TIME at nearly 16 years. DOA is just breaking records isn't it?

In a time of no news it's great to see Dead or Alive making some headlines again. We hope you enjoy these titles and if you have any exciting discoveries or some great pictures please post them in the comments or share them elsewhere at Free Step Dodge! Waaaaattttaaaaaaaa! I'm about to go play me some 3.1.

Last edited:
I don't see how they're gonna make crossplay for a game that's exclusive to Xbox and that's never had other console versions xD DOA2U and 4 have Xbox centered content like the Xbox costumes and the Xbox launch board in the gamblers paradise stage and the Halo Spartan collab and Aerosmith music, how could they logically cross play that, especially a game that's been console exclusive since day one? XD

Hm. I'm getting an error message too. There is also a reddit thread about people having the same issue. It's probably a temporary problem (I want to believe not even KT would shut down the matchmaking service without notice).
Ok Very strange... Still not working
I don't tbh, I hope it's still mainly PS4 if not PC since not everyone likes using the Xbox controller, at least with PC you can always use either controller

I think the Xbox Controller is good but maybe have a point there.
We almost live in 2022, on what console someone is shouldn’t even matter at this point. They should’ve just gave DOA crossplay so everyone could enjoy DOA instead of buying a specific gaming console to play on it. Not everyone has $500 for a console to play DOA. Especially not the people that have been suffering the past 2 years.
Crossplay would indeed be a nice solution, but until then I would prefer one console system only... Like in the old days and Xbox is most suitable system for DOA imo

Ok Very strange... Still not working

I think the Xbox Controller is good but maybe have a point there.

Crossplay would indeed be a nice solution, but until then I would prefer one console system only... Like in the old days and Xbox is most suitable system for DOA imo
Crossplay wouldn't be possible anyway, idk how it would be even a thing since DOA2U and 3 and 4 are all Xbox only and have features and content that's tailored only for it, it wouldn't logically make sense unless TN goes back and ports to PS4 but they're not gonna do that. They would have to get rid of the Xbox costumes in 2U and booster packs in 3 would be useless unless they port the content in PS4, and DOA4 has Spartan, her stage, Aerosmith music and the Xbox references that would have to be removed and they're not gonna do that. And there's also survival mode items that are xboxs, I don't see crossplay being brought for those games

Crossplay wouldn't be possible anyway, idk how it would be even a thing since DOA2U and 3 and 4 are all Xbox only and have features and content that's tailored only for it, it wouldn't logically make sense unless TN goes back and ports to PS4 but they're not gonna do that. They would have to get rid of the Xbox costumes in 2U and booster packs in 3 would be useless unless they port the content in PS4, and DOA4 has Spartan, her stage, Aerosmith music and the Xbox references that would have to be removed and they're not gonna do that. And there's also survival mode items that are xboxs, I don't see crossplay being brought for those games
Yeah true that seems impossible, but what I meant was that FUTURE DOA games should be crossplay or one plattform only again so that the community does not get torn apart again

Yeah true that seems impossible, but what I meant was that FUTURE DOA games should be crossplay or one plattform only again so that the community does not get torn apart again
Yeah I know what you mean, I was just addressing the general illogical answer of making the earlier games like 2U to 4 able to crossplay when it's impossible to do now since Itagaki era DOA wasn't on PS besides DOA and DOA2HC. Future games definitely can have it but I don't think TN will focus on that since the same people wanting it aren't even playing the game or contributing since they think it's "dead".

If DOA2U and DOA4 came to steam tho that would be a dream. I also think online for DOA4 is down and oMaster said TN is apparently waiting for a fix or reply from Microsoft but I wouldn't hold out much hope since they only really made the game BC on current gen for their own gain, TN just rolled with it.

While I don't doubt the possibility that TN would consider crossplay for future DOA games, that can only happen if the platforms the games release on allow it. I'm sure Micro$oft are fine with that, but Sony has been very unwilling to let it happen.

Anyone know the differences of DOA3?
Ik that if you have digital DOA3, you can download any version by changing account/console region.

American version (3.0) didn't have the final character movesets and balance.
Japanese version (3.1) added the additional moves, a cinematic intro video on boot, character balancing, guard break animations, and adjusted the Free Step re-alignment causing free stepping to have a "looser" feeling to it than before. Some moves you can now free step dodge to avoid being hit.
European/Korean version (3.2) adjusted Free Step re-alignment to be a little bit stricter but still overall looser than 3.0.

I'm gonna be the devil's advocate and say 5 vanilla should have been backwards compatible, but that might not change your response, so I feel conflicted.
Tbh 5 vanilla I think could have been since I liked how that was essentially gonna be our DOA5 definitive, if the fans didn't want more that could have been very well our fate

I liked vanilla since back then there were characters who were originally low tier or considered bad that are now in LR and onwards high tier, iirc Helena and Kasumi had shaky placements and the properties of alot of the moves were even different. There were also some infinites too but as of LR everything is way more balanced

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD