DOA5U Your top tricks/attacks.

Nate

In a hopefully-not-vain attempt to start some Hayate chatter on here, I'm going to post a bunch of words as if I know what I'm talking about:

Hayate tricks/preferred attacks in my playbook follow. What are yours?

1) 236T, 6P~mixups/wall-hit (as per thread)
I know nobody is a fan of giving up guaranteed damage in DOA, but sometimes it's worth it. I'll punish a -8 move with Raijin (12F) just to train my opponent to duck to ensure I use the proper punish. After they do that, you can usually get a mid to land or some other mix-up. Same concept here, but safer/more intelligent.

2) Wind Dash K, 44
If Wind Dash K is blocked, and you press 44, you space very quickly because of the turn-around animation. This isn't unique to Hayate, as any Ayane player will tell you this. You can often go straight into a quick mid or 8P+K, P for a counter-hit.

3) (optional side-step) P+K
This move is real good. Sure it's unsafe, but you should be poking with it intelligently or using it as your mid "launcher" after a single hit stun.

4) All guard breaks, such as PP 6(P)
Under-rated IMHO. Esp now that you can teleport out of being held. Don't forget your post-attack mix-up includes just blocking if they poke back using unsafe attacks... look for that... then 236T mini-blender them...

5) 3H+K all day long
Hey, you know what, I don't care it's unsafe. I'm pretty sure the low and mid follow-ups are still a 2-in-1 (confirm?) so the following wall-hit makes it's all worth it. Pure guessing game here. The real win with Hayate is to read which type of opponent you have: tries to punish, or tries to counter-hit. You like the latter kind... as you can just guard and always be safe! Should it be the former, play them walls. Hayate is all about them walls! So many knockbacks.

... I'm done for now. Posting from work and feeling guilty!

So share some of the less obvious stuff you've been having success with. Or don't. Jerks.

Tenryuga

236T

Nakiryu juggles - enviornmental damage is no joke.

6P - scores all the counterhits.

3K - safe strong mid.

66P mixups coming in on somebody. Sometimes I 66P and if it whiffs I go into the flip to scare them away from trying to punish.

4P - I use this mid threshold to force a 50 / 50 between wind dash P or K

All guard break variants.

2H+K - opens people up well.

2p - neutral on hit. Use it to annoy people.

Shaded

On the 4P, if it connects then something I'll do is delay a wind dash so when they are just out of hit stun you can grab. It works great on those online people that are hold machines. Not sure how unique that really is, but I like it enough to mention it.

Omega SYSP

Standard Donor
Hey guys i found some interesting stuff tonight ! You can add :hayate: :6::6::K: to some of his combos (Just for variation I might add, not always the best damage) From any of his advanced high kick holds or his Naraku throw (If you can get max high or really close to it through use of the stun threshold it works as well). Try some of these out guys and let me know what you think ! for mids and light weights

1. Naraku,:6::6::K:,:8::P:,:P::P::6::P::K:
2. Naraku,:6::K:,:6::6::K:,:3::3::K::K:
3. Naraku,:6::6::K:,:6::6::K::K::K:
4. Naraku,:6::6::K:,:236::K:
5. Naraku,:6::6::K:,:7::P:(Charge :P:)

From Advanced mid kicks

1. Subaru,:6::6::K:,:P::P::6::P::K: (:P::P::2::K::P:.:P::P::K::K:,:P::P::6::P::P:)
2. Subaru,:9::P:,:6::6::K:,:7::K:

Tulkas

Premium Donor
I've recently have started to use SS k from some distance, specially when foe is about to wake up. It had worked really well. If it hits, Yate usually gets a 99% guaranteed CB follow up 3k 3pp 7p. Else, SS k is save on block. Just great. :cool:

EDIT: Be aware distance is about half of 3h+k or 214p, or even less...

Last edited:

Jaguar360

I've recently have started to use SS k from some distance, specially when foe is about to wake up. It had worked really well. If it hits, Yate usually gets a 99% guaranteed CB follow up 3k 3pp 7p. Else, SS k is save on block. Just great. :cool:
Ooh that sounds awesome. I need to try that. I tend to use 214P, 3H+K and 236K in a similar manner.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Ooh that sounds awesome. I need to try that. I tend to use 214P, 3H+K and 236K in a similar manner.
It has been working very well! :D I have found other situacions for setting up it. After Hayate's obvious safe moves, SS :K: has given good results to me. Also canceling de PB into SS :K: should be work, I'll been trying it asap.

Another new tactic I'll be trying is using :4::P::6::P+K: in the middle of the stun game. The good thing is windash follow ups can be delayed and even hit in the stun caused by the :4::P:! So likely it will be good for freaking opponent's mind. Those are common cases I have though at the moment:
  • Many people feel lucky or scared and try critical holds, these can be read and punished with the follow ups: :H+P: for high and mids holds, and :P+K: or :K: for low ones. Succesful throw means at least 103 points of damage! Great reward for a read! :D
  • Even if the opponent try slow escaping, there's still good time for delaying. The other mid attacks follow ups lead to good combos even in level 1 threshold, and deliver near same damage than the throw when stun starts in counter or count+ status, for example:
    • close to wall: ...:K:, :P::P::6::P::K:
    • close to wall: ...:P+K:, :P::P::6::P::K:
    • open space: ...:P+K:, :8::P:, :7::K:
  • More over, doing nothing and cancelling de wind dash, Hayate gets good advantage if enemy doesn't SE, and if enemy use to SE :P: give +7
As everything in DOA, it can't be abused, so I think using it from time to time will be succesful. I'll be practicing it in my next casuals. :cool:

TakedaZX

On the note of the wind dash mix-up for the launch, that was my major gripe with the move being changed between Vanilla 1.02 and 1.03. If you remember in DOA5, Hayate's wind dash kick used to be a launcher. It was 2 in 1 and more damage than it is now for both hits. Now it's a weak knockdown which barely gives much chip. I think it should revert back so instead of only being able to run that 4P mix-up on mid threshold, you can run it right off the bat.

Of course, this topic isn't about changes but I really came here to add onto wind dash K. If you happen to land this raw or in early threshold, it'll knockdown. If the opponent does not tech, dash in 2H+K is free, allowing you a forced tech. Because of the timing it takes. If they haven't teched, you STILL can hit them before they can get up regularly... but if they DO tech, the sweep will cut them off from attacking. In other words, whether they get up or not, they have to deal with it. Once they see this, they'll make adjustments and it'll allow you to run 3H+K or other moves in the mix.

Also, PP2K is confirmed to do the same, but if they tech and hit a button, the 2K will catch them and the punch follow up (PP2KP) is... almost guaranteed. It's unblockable but holdable for some reason. This is also nice because you can run the wind dash kick mix-up over and over if they like to tech and hit buttons... but I'm lazy. I simply turn around and wind dash kick again myself rather than go through all of that nonsense.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Has anybody test 4p string after WD k?

I'm lazy. I simply turn around and wind dash kick again myself rather than go through all of that nonsense.
LOL!

BTW, that 'nonsense' could be usefull for mentally stressing the opponent, I meant: pressure ;)

Also the especial ground hit 8p+k is guaranteed if foe doesn't tech WD k, which is stylish :cool: :)

TakedaZX

Has anybody test 4p string after WD k?

LOL!

BTW, that 'nonsense' could be usefull for mentally stressing the opponent, I meant: pressure ;)

Also the especial ground hit 8p+k is guaranteed if foe doesn't tech WD k, which is stylish :cool: :)
Oh right! That's something else. Check it: if they do tech and you press 8P+K, P comes out so you could essentially do P+KP2K to get PP2K (copyright of Silent Legend). That way you can get PP2K to come out if they tech and 8P+K's guaranteed damage if they don't. It's an amazing set up... I just don't like it. But that's me.

Another technique I use is... something I haven't seen anyone try yet. Not that it hasn't been done, but it's not a staple to anyone's style. Full screen raw teleport to neutral throw is my shit. I've won multiple matches off of it and it's generally amazing to work with. The nice part is if they hold guard, their backs will stay turned to you and you'll get the back throw. Even if they press a direction to turn around though... the neutral throw LOOKS cool. Don't steal this move from me...

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Oh right! That's something else. Check it: if they do tech and you press 8P+K, P comes out so you could essentially do P+KP2K to get PP2K (copyright of Silent Legend). That way you can get PP2K to come out if they tech and 8P+K's guaranteed damage if they don't. It's an amazing set up... I just don't like it. But that's me.
Wow! I just have been wondering what to do if foe tech after WD k! Good trick! I will try it asap! :D Thank you for sharing it! :D

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD