3-Point Hold v. 4-Point Hold

BlackOrochi

Please do tell, because last I checked, each iteration of DoA had a different hold system.

DoA used a 2 point parry system.
DoA++ used a parry system and a 6 point hold
DoA2 arcade used 4 point system but it was double inputs.
DoA2 hardcore used both 3 and 4 point
DoA3 used a 3 point system
DoA2U used a 4 point system
DoA4 used a 4 point system
DoAD used a 3 point system
DoA5a used a 3 point system

(I feel as this has been mentioned before)

So please, do tell what you grew up with. Actually, no one here gives a damn what you grew up with. We want DoA to be taken seriously and 3 point holds is currently not a good thing.

I'm not gonna boast on how many DOA games I've played, nor how many hours. It's completely irrelevant as to how I enjoy the game. If you did play all of them, then good for you.

By coming to this forum I was looking for constructive opinions about the 4pt system, and I did find a few. Although I'm not totally convinced, at least I have a better understanding of why certain players put faith in 4pt Holds. And I thank those who put the time and effort to expose their point of view.

I'm not on a 3pt Crusade, cause like I said, I can live with the 4pts, although my preference is in 3. That's all.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
No one mentioned your name and no one is speaking for you...For the love of God if you have an opinion type it out like a fucking normal person.

By stating 'no one here', you include Awesmic (and any other people who disagree with you).

BlackOrochi

You should technically be using a 4-point in the Alpha anyway. You should be maximizing damage by using the Expert Holds instead of the normal mid-hold.

Translation: I R good at guessing.

Landing a long combo is neither impressive or the result of an offensive genius. All it means is that you got lucky.

There's a difference between luck Vs. Mind games + educated guesses

Isn't giving the defender a way out of almost every disadvantageous situation already "complexifying" defense? No other fighting game gives the defender as many options to reverse a mistake as DOA does..

"Complexifying" may be a strong word, how do you like "subsidizing"? lol

But I agree that no other fighting game gives the defender as many options to reverse a mistake as DOA because defensive options is one of DOA's point of difference.

Raansu

I'm not gonna boast on how many DOA games I've played, nor how many hours. It's completely irrelevant as to how I enjoy the game. If you did play all of them, then good for you.

By coming to this forum I was looking for constructive opinions about the 4pt system, and I did find a few. Although I'm not totally convinced, at least I have a better understanding of why certain players put faith in 4pt Holds. And I thank those who put the time and effort to expose their point of view.

I'm not on a 3pt Crusade, cause like I said, I can live with the 4pts, although my preference is in 3. That's all.

I really don't care how many you have played. My point was you mentioned what you grew up with and I pointed out that every version of the game used a different system, sorry.

I'm glad you like easy mode 3 point holds, but this conversation went on for 18 pages and the conversation was pretty much done. If you want to go back and read the last 18 pages, by all means go do so, if not, well I'm not going to repeat everything thats been said 100 times. The points have been made and there is no reason to have a 3 point system outside wanting to have an easier time on defense (i.e crutch).

By stating 'no one here', you include Awesmic (and any other people who disagree with you).

Bah, he would of done it even if I didn't use those words. He's insecure as hell and starts off every post the same way.

Raansu

You're an angry man.

I'm cranky...finals, crunch time, and I've been up for 30 hours...and here I am not studying lol. At this point I'm just trying to find ways to stay awake...arguing with people always works.

DrDogg

There's a difference between luck Vs. Mind games + educated guesses

Not really. I can remember playing DOA4 on countless occasions when I'd train my opponent to counter a certain way after a certain stun. Then I try to finish a match by using something else and they counter it. That's not a mind game. That's not an educated guess. They did a counter hoping it would work and it did. It was nothing more than luck.

Plus, why am I forced to play mind games AFTER my opponent is stunned? I already won the mind game when I connected with the stun.

But I agree that no other fighting game gives the defender as many options to reverse a mistake as DOA because defensive options is one of DOA's point of difference.

Which is also why DOA has had a lackluster competitive scene.

You're an angry man.

You and I are not complaining as much. Someone has to pick up the slack. Balance must be maintained.

BlackOrochi

Not really. I can remember playing DOA4 on countless occasions when I'd train my opponent to counter a certain way after a certain stun. Then I try to finish a match by using something else and they counter it. That's not a mind game. That's not an educated guess. They did a counter hoping it would work and it did. It was nothing more than luck.

My previous post may have suggested that I thought that there is no luck involved. But yes, there is a portion luck there (as in many other games), just as there are portions of mind games and educated guesses that shouldn't be neglected. The combination of those 3 elements makes it a fun game to play.

Question for you guys:

Do you think that implementing a general 4pts system in DOA5 restores balance? Or does it make the series, since DOA2, shift from a defensive oriented game (given the odds favoring Holds) to a more offensive oriented game?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It doesn't restore balance by itself, but it helps.

DOA 4 was a 100% defensive game and it used 4 point, so you can't use the hold as a means of determining such a thing.

BlackOrochi

If DOA4 is100% defensive, where do you put the % of offense?

I used the term "oriented" because according to a few posts out here, the odds apparently favored defenders with 3pt.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
You went on offense when your opponent was bad, otherwise it was 100% defense.

Watch CGS season 2 and you'll see plenty of matches where nobody does anything.... literally.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
BlackOrochi, please avoid double-posting. Use the Edit button if no one has replied after your previous post.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD