A Discussion of sexualised design of male/female characters

UpSideDownGRUNT

Her persona is Carmen and she is of the Lovers Arcana so it makes sense that her Persona is all about hearts and stuff lol

Also, if you watch pretty much anything of Persona 5 she's not sexual in the slightest. Just because her thief attire is a red cat suit doesn't really mean anything lol they ARE thieves. (also like I said she's called Panther)

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Her persona is Carmen and she is of the Lovers Arcana so it makes sense that her Persona is all about hearts and stuff lol

Also, if you watch pretty much anything of Persona 5 she's not sexual in the slightest. Just because her thief attire is a red cat suit doesn't really mean anything lol they ARE thieves. (also like I said she's called Panther)

her persona is Carmen stepping on and leashing men with hearts in their eyes. Her costume is a latex costume with zippers going down the body and her holding a whip.

If they didn't want her associated with sexualization they sure did a shit job of it. I personaly think they did and it will be for a reason shown later. I'm pretty sure one issue she's even having right now is a stalker when VG can easily be attributed to a sexual nature, but never did I say she's acting promiscuous or anything like that.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I never played a Persona game. How open are the Persona game worlds and how much freedom do you have? The art style and the incredible stylishness really intrigues me.

KasumiLover

Nightseekers_
Premium Donor
I think her design is just supposed to be sexy, but not her actual character. Lots of girls in DOA and in various fighting games are dressed quite risqué but they're not at all sexy acting intentionally or personality wise, think Sophitia in SC4 who's a mother and holy and faithful to her husband. The designers gave her the revealing goddess outfit and that completely clashes with her actual character.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Haha, reminds me of this and is very relevant to this thread:

"Evolution" of Sophitia:

boob-evolution.jpg

KasumiLover

Nightseekers_
Premium Donor
Haha, reminds me of this and is very relevant to this thread:

boob-evolution.jpg
Sigh....poor Sophitia, they could have stopped at SC2. If it wasn't for the fact that her long braid is exclusive to C1 in every game, I wouldn't use her SC4 default at all.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Lol, I perfectly remember the day when screens of her for SC4 were released:

1457604004_2.jpg

sc4_pub_ss_sophitia005-copy.jpg

sc5.jpg

To me it was the most beautiful character model (and generally game) ever. *___* In-game she looks imo really beautiful and ethereal.

The game looks still amazing. Project Soul are wizards.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I never played a Persona game. How open are the Persona game worlds and how much freedom do you have? The art style and the incredible stylishness really intrigues me.

Persona 5 is the first to look anywhere close to this stylish. the map in 3 and 4 are split in sections and you can walk around in each section to go to various shops, rooms, etc.. for combat you go to randomized dungeons where you walk around. Persona 1 and 2 are COMPLETELY different beast that im not qualified to speak about. they play more like modern SMT titles than any modern Persona game.

to summarize its not really that stylish and not really open. Persona 5 might change that though.

I think her design is just supposed to be sexy, but not her actual character. Lots of girls in DOA and in various fighting games are dressed quite risqué but they're not at all sexy acting intentionally or personality wise, think Sophitia in SC4 who's a mother and holy and faithful to her husband. The designers gave her the revealing goddess outfit and that completely clashes with her actual character.

while yes that's true this isn't a series known for pointless fan service. generally the Personas have something that clues you in to their inner personality in fact thats the whole point of the game. a lot of times the Personas are so strangely designed its hard to tell just what it represents, but since P5 personas are a lot more human looking what they represent may be more clear.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Persona 5 is the first to look anywhere close to this stylish. the map in 3 and 4 are split in sections and you can walk around in each section to go to various shops, rooms, etc.. for combat you go to randomized dungeons where you walk around. Persona 1 and 2 are COMPLETELY different beast that im not qualified to speak about. they play more like modern SMT titles than any modern Persona game.

to summarize its not really that stylish and not really open. Persona 5 might change that though.

Yeah, Persona games before never really seemed to be my cup of tea. This one looks however really great and much more open. Let's see how it turns out. It might become my first Persona. :)

KasumiLover

Nightseekers_
Premium Donor
That's why she's my favorite, so beautiful and mature, and apologetic and a real mother bear.♡

while yes that's true this isn't a series known for pointless fan service. generally the Personas have something that clues you in to their inner personality in fact thats the whole point of the game. a lot of times the Personas are so strangely designed its hard to tell just what it represents, but since P5 personas are a lot more human looking what they represent may be more clear.
We'll have to wait for the full game and see in that case. I see it as symbolism type thing, like maybe freedom and thievery? Or even just domination or sadism, the thing about these is that most people are quick to come to the conclusion that there's more sexual imagery just because someone is dressed a certain way. Grunt even said that her actual character is pretty reserved and anti perverted, maybe her persona is more sexually liberated and confident, but not over the top. This influence when she confronts her shadow probably has an effect on her choice of costume afterwards, as I assume she doesn't wear that at the beginning.

Argentus

Past games were divided between free roaming town/school hub areas, and dungeon crawling segments through idendical hallways.

Its the symbolism that really drives it
Think JoJo's bizarre Adventure crossed with Silent Hill.

Argentus

I dislike both of these... :/
He's talking about how the Personas are kind of like Stands and how you go to a strange otherwordly area.

Thematically they're not alike at all.

Well personas are just Stands and the Shadow World is essentially a cartoony version of the Other world. And craptons of symbolism like silent hill.

Like I said its like a thematic cross between the two but it doesn't describe the gameplay at all. I dunno about 5 but 3 and 4 were standard dungeon crawler turn based RPGs with a dating sim hub world.

UpSideDownGRUNT

5 is a mix of 3and 4 and the old Persona/SMT games.

Themes of imprisonment and slavery, while still having slice of life gameplay with social events, school, classes, tests, clubs, co operations, mini games etc.

The dungeon play seems a little different this time, theres Mementos, where Morgana transforms into a bus and you complete procedurally randomised dungeons and fight a shadow person.

And of course story dungeons that take place in The Palace(I'm guessing this is similar to Tartarus), gameplay is streamlined too. Each action is now a button press and you can now switch personas on the fly.

Ofcourse staggering all enemies either lets you do an all out attack or if they're a demon from SMT you can "negotiate" to either join you or give you money.

EDIT:
is there a Persona or Shin Megami Tensei thread to talk about this more?

Last edited:

Argentus

I actually like it. Its like a tactical bikini lol.
13925829_1763537630563291_7198539805943064027_o.jpg

13679868_1763537750563279_3857043409993954091_o.jpg

13920264_1763537453896642_3069814034498550688_o.jpg

13923626_1763537220563332_5303573071089171413_o.jpg

If it was just a regular swimsuit I would have hated it.
It still looks godawful on the men though.

Also kudos for actually modeling the cheeks bulging out of the bikini bottoms. Most games don't bother and just paint bikinis/panties onto the basemodel (looking at you DOA)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Most games don't bother and just paint bikinis/panties onto the basemodel (looking at you DOA)

Not true at all. They are not just painted on bikinis. DOA bikinis are all individually modelled from the bodies and often even show skin indentation. And the butts have a much higher polygon count also than the blocky behind in your picture. But you genereally seem unable to recognize stuff like this... (I mean the quality of character models, not butts in general. XD)

Last edited:

Argentus

Not true at all. DOA bikinis are all individually modelled from the butts and often even show skin indentation. They are not just painted on bikinis. And they are much higher polygon also. But you genereally not seem to able to see this...
Depends on which one I suppose.

Most panties seem painted on and certain bikinis definitely are. Not as bad as the older games though. Lots of Japanese games do this though.

And as I've stated before, poly count means nothing to me. Texturing is what makes things look good. Generally speaking. In this specific instance the way it was modeled is the good part.

Either way my point stands that metal gear did a good job with these swimsuits.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD