Any early netcode impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTHCGamer

Need to blow up TN's twitter and let them know that this game need to play great online because this game deserves it. Not only that but theres no damn excuse for poor online play especially with bare bones online features like lack of lobbies.

Eric

Need to blow up TN's twitter and let them know that this game need to play great online because this game deserves it. Not only that but theres no damn excuse for poor online play especially with bare bones online features like lack of lobbies.

THC, I think you're misinformed, about the "bare bones online" aspect of DoA5 at least. It's been confirmed that there are 16-man lobbies for example.

Eric

"Online Mode:
Simple Match - Basically quick match, you can set amount of rounds and region
Rank Match - set amount of rounds, region, and opponent strength max/min
Lobby Match - round, region, opponent strength, fight rules and fight type, up to 16 players
Leader Boards - you can download replays here
Fighter List - Rival System like SCV. If you view them as a rival after your match, it gives you stats on your win/loss ratio against them. You can also send them throwdowns or invites to your game. Also able to remove them if you want."

Here's a quote from another user that has the game. Perhaps this will provide a better understanding in regards to what the online mode currently offers. This of course doesn't make up for the poor netcode but considering that the game isn't officially slated to release until the 25th, I'm sure it'll be patched and brought up to efficency. I think Team Ninja knows that a lot is riding on the proper sucess of DoA5

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
There are a decent amount of online features available. The problem is the netcode.

ikodomo

Those of you playing online what console are you playing on? If its the 360 im even more worried because a lot more people use a wired connection on LIVE. I play my fighting games on my PS3 so im not looking forward to play people with terrible wireless connections. Either way theres absolutely no excuse for poor online play since games like VF5FS and TTT2 play so great online.
Same as well

Doug Nguyen

Same as well
Hey so you know ranked mode, does it tell you how many points you gained? Ive played about 2 but for some reason i keep forgetting whether i saw my points at the end. Either it doesnt show or i get distracted every time it shows.

ikodomo

Hey so you know ranked mode, does it tell you how many points you gained? Ive played about 2 but for some reason i keep forgetting whether i saw my points at the end. Either it doesnt show or i get distracted every time it shows.
When you win, it shows up how many points you gained that will eventually boost up your grade in the top left corner of your screen. Not sure if it does the same thing if you lose since i haven't lost yet in a ranked match.

Eric

I've been eagerly anticipating DoA5 post the peak of DoA4's populace. I'm upset that they've taken a lackluster road in regards to the online's presentation but ultimately I hope that they just fix things up prior to the 25th. The sole reason I couldn't take my experience to Mortal Kombat's (my true last fighting game experience) online was because of both the terrible netcode and Netherrealm Studios doing absolutely nothing post the release of the new characters.

TRI Mike

This is really worrying me. My main plan with the game was to play it online because the scene for it down here is still very small. DOA4 was fairly decent for me but nothing like VF5FS or SC5. I really hope something happens to fix this because not being able to play online plus the avalanche of nerfs in the last two months of development plus sling bikinis are probably gonna lead to many serious players turning away from the game. I don't want Dead or Alive 5 to be a disappointment like Dimensions was.

Doug Nguyen

When you win, it shows up how many points you gained that will eventually boast up your grade in the top left corner of your screen. Not sure if it does the same thing if you lose since i haven't lost yet in a ranked match.
Oh ok i keep missing it then. And im trying to find matches but i cant :(

SilverForte

If it's true, and the netcode really is awful. I may end up waiting for this to go down in price by a lot. Because of my location, bad netcode is a no go for me. The only people I have to play locally are my brothers.

Raansu

I understand the 1v1 thing for ranked but at least let the players have a rematch. That was my biggest gripe with DoAD...You'd play a match then it kicks you back to the matchmaking screen to find your next opponent. Screw that system.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Worse than doa4 ? shit ...
And I thought DOA4 was pretty decent considering the age of its netcode ...
if its really bad then so long online play ...

Doug Nguyen

Well for me online has bee great, connection wise. I have played with people from japan and swedin. Only thing i dont like is the changes with the online modes.

7thfonon

While I can really care less about online matches, I really hope they fix it. I know some people won't even bother playing the game if the online's ass. Which means less people playing the game.

But I'm thinking there will be a patch for the online soon after the release. I can't imagine that team ninja would not realize the importance of the netcode, especially if they're going out of their way to make online password locks and such.

Echo01

DOA5 really, really does not need this to happen to it right now. VF5/SCV/TT2 have smooth as a baby's buttcheeks netcode and for DOA to come along with a reportedly bad netcode is quite worrying. Here's to hoping this is just a hiccough pre-release, or a day one patch is in order. KOFXIII suffers for its netcode quality; DOA5 most certainly will suffer as well.

Zeo

In the end you'll have to get the game in your own hands an see what it's like for you. But if the general consensus is that the online is bad, hopefully something is done regardless. I've struggled with some of the worst online imaginable.

I would really like if I didn't have to struggle here, especially if this is a game I plan to be in for the long haul.

SilverForte

I guess we should wait till release date and hear from everyone on how the netcode is to be certain. Peaceful jay will be streaming it on the 25th so that's a sure way to find out.

TRI Mike

The netcode is probably the most important part of a game for me. VF5FS has great online but it's now a barren wasteland and I'm not that interested in SCV. DOA5 is what's keeping me all this time and knowing that there's a realistic chance I won't be able to play smoothly is a huge disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD