Are you happy with Last Round?

Do you like the direction Last Round is taking?

• Right now I'm worried about the lasting appeal of Last Round.

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • So, far everything looks good, and I'm content with what I'm seeing from Last Round.

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters

lotr9690

I just got a ps4 today - I'm walking out of gamestop. Guess what I'm preordering? Haha it looks like I won't néed that free upgrade after all! But even with that in mind, I feel TN needs to even the playing field with ps3 owners. If you're not gonna give them new hairstyles at least give them the stages.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
To those who suggest for Crimson and Danger Zone to not be banned, I think you should consider the platform specific issues here, especially with the fact that there may be stage specific combos and object placements throughout each level, so essentially you might end up handicapping a good portion of your player base in tourneys.

Not everyone is unable to get a new gen platform and there are people who choose not to and instead wait for a good year or two before there is a decent catalog for that system, so you might end up with people just ignoring tourneys due to this reason. I think banning these stages for the first year would be at least more fair to the majority of the tourney-going player base.

Just my two cents. Personally, there's not much incentive for me right now to even consider playing this version until I see a list of changes to the roster.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I agree with Uncle Kitechener... unfortunately Team NINJA has kind of put a handicap on their own tournament scene they have spent two years trying to build.

There is a part of me that wants so strongly to disagree with you. Danger Zone and Crimson are needed for Dead or Alive... great environmental potential for these two stages, and if anything I'd like to see all the square stages banned, but then again with stages not being on 360 OR the PS3 this puts people at a huge disadvantage who are unable to practice on these stages.

I don't normally support a ban on anything, but this makes sense. Maybe if Team NINJA was addressed of the ban they would see and pick up on what's wrong with their current layout.

Intelligent Alpha

I agree with Uncle Kitechener... unfortunately Team NINJA has kind of put a handicap on their own tournament scene they have spent two years trying to build.

There is a part of me that wants so strongly to disagree with you. Danger Zone and Crimson are needed for Dead or Alive... great environmental potential for these two stages, and if anything I'd like to see all the square stages banned, but then again with stages not being on 360 OR the PS3 this puts people at a huge disadvantage who are unable to practice on these stages.

I don't normally support a ban on anything, but this makes sense. Maybe if Team NINJA was addressed of the ban they would see and pick up on what's wrong with their current layout.

Here's what I find hilarious: How the fuck is DOJO banned? Rhetorical question, but a legit one! If Home wasn't banned, if Lab was not banned. I don't want those two stages in LR banned either, but Xblades would've been without a backup if Alpha had been!

And that's the other thing. Are organizers gonna switch to XBO (I know KI, but that's exclusive) since I assume like you said PS3/360 users will get those stages later. And well, didn't you interview the top players from TFC? Was there anyone else who voiced their displeasure (besides Master)?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Not everyone can get a current generation system for Shadow of Mordor, so they wait and get a gimped version of the nemesis system. Not everyone can get a current generation system for Assassin's Creed, so they get a less ambitious title than Unity. Titanfall had delays on the release and content updates on old systems, Destiny has compromises, Call of Duty...

See where I'm going with this? We're a year into the new console cycle. Developers can't be expected to have parity just to cater to people hanging back. They will still release content for existing users but it's ridiculous that a lot of people seem to be expecting TN to expend effort ensuring all SKUs are the same when nearly every other developer is doing what they are. Hell, Techland just completely canceled the previous gen versions of Dying Light altogether. I understand hopes and dreams but come on.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The WiiU is an example of a "next-gen" console... the ONE and the PS4 don't even feel like new systems and aren't impressive jumps (other than netcode which is irrelevant to an offline tournament). It's not about people holding back, it's about people looking at the PS4 and XBOX ONE and saying... wow the exclusives SUCK.

Intelligent Alpha

The WiiU is an example of a "next-gen" console... the ONE and the PS4 don't even feel like new systems and aren't impressive jumps. It's not about people holding back, it's about people looking at the PS4 and XBOX ONE and saying... wow the exclusives SUCK.

Didn't the PS3 have this problem? 360 had all the exclusives (and son't get me started on RotTR and DOA4 was 360 exclusive, too, no?). Now, the PS4 ... but you're right. Is the issue cross-gen though? You know how bad TR9 was.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm only concerned about the banning of Crimson and Danger zone. Right now, there is probably a good number of people, myself included, who don't have a new gen system yet and can't make a budget for the game and have to wait for a while. I also hold casuals regularly in my local scene using my own system, so essentially I might end up two stages or even two characters short. That's fair. I'd rather pay my mortgage and bills and as long as someone else gets the new system with all the content so that people can play and particle on.

But, if the two stages are not banned, then I'd have a bit of a hard time deciding whether I'd enter a tourney or not since I'm not confident and familiar with the new changes.

Darkton93

The WiiU is an example of a "next-gen" console... the ONE and the PS4 don't even feel like new systems and aren't impressive jumps (other than netcode which is irrelevant to an offline tournament). It's not about people holding back, it's about people looking at the PS4 and XBOX ONE and saying... wow the exclusives SUCK.
Well, currently it's mostly launch titles that're exclusives. Launch titles are kinda lacking most of the time. I'm surprised Killer Instinct turned out so well as it did. Give it a while, and then we'll see. Besides, maybe by next year more people will have access and reason to buy a PS4 or XB1.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
But the Wii U is about as powerful as the current PS3 and 360 systems. The only reason why it's considered "next gen" is because of the Game Pad.

You keep playing Ryse and Infamous... I'll go play Bayonetta 2... way better looking than any PS3/360 game I've seen. It's not just about the Game Pad, it's got free online and a powerful netcode. I own one so speak for yourself. Nintendo has incredibly exclusives. Every friend I have with a ONE or PS4 never talks about it like I talk about my Wii.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
You keep playing Ryse and Infamous... I'll go play Bayonetta 2... way better looking than any PS3/360 game I've seen. It's not just about the Game Pad, it's got free online and a powerful netcode. I own one so speak for yourself. Nintendo has incredibly exclusives. Every friend I have with a ONE or PS4 never talks about it like I talk about my Wii.
The Wii U isn't even close in power to the current gen systems from Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo does have great franchises but they are also great at alienating third parties the go around. As for netcode, you do realize that is entirely on the game developers side, right? It's code unique to each game and Nintendo isn't exactly known for great online experiences. I hear good things about Mario Kart 8 but the entire system having "powerful netcode" is nonsense. They could have a better online infrastructure than they have in the past but given that the e-shop crashes or routinely slows to a crawl around major releases I'm inclined to think that's not the case.

Also, I love my Xbox One and talk about it constantly. Can't wait to play Last Round on it. Wonder why it's not coming out on Wii U? Sad...

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The Wii U isn't even close in power to the current gen systems from Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo does have great franchises but they are also great at alienating third parties the go around. As for netcode, you do realize that is entirely on the game developers side, right? It's code unique to each game and Nintendo isn't exactly known for great online experiences. I hear good things about Mario Kart 8 but the entire system having "powerful netcode" is nonsense. They could have a better online infrastructure than they have in the past but given that the e-shop crashes or routinely slows to a crawl around major releases I'm inclined to think that's not the case.

Also, I love my Xbox One and talk about it constantly. Can't wait to play Last Round on it. Wonder why it's not coming out on Wii U? Sad...

I will buy one for Last Round, don't get it twisted, but of course you like it you paid all that money for a media center my PC can do 20x over. At least the 360 had games when it came out, and then some big... big hits a year later. The one has ziltch. The Wii U has games I can't play anywhere else, and the third party support isn't great, but it doesn't need to be... and it's getting better. Nobody will be talking about the one or PS4 when Smash comes out.

And if Last Round or Gears 4 came to PC (and likely NG4 will) I wouldn't have one reason... to buy Xbox One, but for Halo.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I will buy one for Last Round, don't get it twisted, but of course you like it you paid all that money for a media center my PC can do 20x over. At least the 360 had games when it came out, and then some big... big hits a year later. The one has ziltch. The Wii U has games I can't play anywhere else, and the third party support isn't great, but it doesn't need to be... and it's getting better. Nobody will be talking about the one or PS4 when Smash comes out.

And if Last Round or Gears 4 came to PC (and likely NG4 will) I wouldn't have one reason... to buy Xbox One, but for Halo.
I bought the Xbox One for Killer Instinct. I have a PC connected to my TV and rarely do anything on my Xbox One except for game. The console has plenty of exclusives and third party support is significantly stronger than it is on the Wii U. You're welcome to like what you want but your comment about Smash making people forget about the other consoles? They'll be talking about Halo MCC, Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Dragon Age Inquisition, GTA V...the other consoles are getting plenty of high quality titles that are skipping the Wii U completely. That list, Halo excepted for being first party for MS, is exactly why third party support does need to be great.

You're kidding yourself if you think the Wii U doesn't need all of those games. Dead or Alive 5 Last Round is just another example of developers completely abandoning the system. I hope Bayonetta 2 sells well and proves games can succeed that don't star Nintendo mascots but the early reports are just as dismal as the Japanese numbers.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Assassin's Creed... Call of Duty....? Those games have worn out their welcome... If it wasn't for Nintendo, Bayonetta 2 wouldn't have existed. I love how the first game you mention is a ten year old game... it looks cool but seriously... lol that's their killer app for the year?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Halo MCC contains more than just Halo: CE. The decade old thing is untrue. The games, the Halo 5 beta, and the Halo Nightfall series that looks amazing are all part of the package. And it will probably sell enough to be considered a killer app, yes. Nintendo's franchises aren't exactly young, either, so that's an odd thing to try picking on. Every game I listed will do very well this holiday. If people stopped buying millions of copies, the publishers might stop making them. Alas...

Argentus

Meh. Only reasons id ever get an Xbox one were for dead rising 3 and whatever new fable comes out. But the first is for PC as well, and the latter...well quality if fables goes down with each sequel. So the Xbox one has VERY little to offer me.

Ps4 however, I wanna pick up for metal gear 5 (I have the first four and mgr on PS and I like to keep my series on one console) and kingdom hearts 3. Last round and the other ports like DC online will just be a little bonus

I want a Wii u for smash and hyrule warriors.

So I can't decide whether to get a Wii u or ps4 first, and I have little to no interest in the Xbone.

Also let it be known that I am utterly disgusted with Microsoft for phasing out the sleek and practical dashboard of the original 360 into constant popup ad blocks covering the entire screen so you can't even see backgrounds anymore.

Intelligent Alpha

Console war? Console vs. PC war again? This hardware is better than that one? This software, etc. However, I do wonder why the PS3 is the "preferred" console at many tourneys? Will this flip with the XBO or will they stay with the PS4? But I guess I see how cross-gen games enhances the fury. (ie: Graphics being the first thing everybody looks at! Two of the same objects, but you pick the shinier one only to see you get the same if not less out of it than the not so shiny one!)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD