Community Discussion for Tournament Rules

Should The Ends of the Earth stage be banned? 2/3 or 3/5 matches?

• Total voters

SilverKhaos

You have no idea what you are talking about.

If I'm in a 50/50 situation with equal payout I can close my eyes and mash buttons on my controller to get the equal outcomes. That is DOA.

The situation is random. Human nature makes it un-random, and high level play makes it random again. Part of becoming a better player at this game is learning to re-randomize your mixups. If we are of equal skill, we will be fighting very, very randomly. And neither of us will be having any manner of fun in doing it.

You may not play randomly. Your opponents may not play randomly. At the highest levels of play, this game is random as balls. You have absolutely no idea.

So many things wrong with that....if you just mash on the controller, all the opponent has to do is notice you are attacking wildly, step back, and punch/kick you out of it. And if you aren't mashing, it's no longer random. And if you are deliberately trying to be random, that by definition, is not random, since its deliberate. Mixup isn't random, its deliberate

Not to mention...not very "high level", if its just "random as balls"...

Not that my opinion worth a damn, but I'd ban all slippery surfaces from this game if you ask me. Never been too fond of them on any of the previous games.
Also, 3/5.

P.S. Just ignore SilverKhaos. This guy is the same that wants the ability to holds while he's getting juggled in the air as a game mechanic. FFS.

Which has several reasons why it should be in, and not one person has ever said any reason why air counters would be bad beyond "I want my free damage." Would certainly up the skill level, for certain, since people would have to gauge whether to continue a juggle and risk being countered, or break off for mixup. Or just use different juggles rather than the same standard ones you see all the time. Either way, people would need to learn better mixup (which would make them better players/fighters), and the person being juggled gets to at least try to do something besides just wait, so it's win/win on both sides if they added that in.

If someone gave a valid argument and pointed out something I'm missing/overlooking, then sure, i'd stop suggesting it. But no, only responses I've gotten so far are "What would be the point of attacking if I don't get guaranteed damage" (that's a direct quote from one of the responses, just sad...), which is just people being lazy and not wanting to work for wins. It's not like it suddenly means "nothing works", all it means is that you make each hit count instead of relying on free hits.

Not trying to hijack the topic, just responding posts regarding myself. Would appreciate it if nobody responded to this specific post, as like I said, not trying to hijack the topic.

HiguraShiki

So many things wrong with that....if you just mash on the controller, all the opponent has to do is notice you are attacking wildly, step back, and punch/kick you out of it. And if you aren't mashing, it's no longer random. And if you are deliberately trying to be random, that by definition, is not random, since its deliberate. Mixup isn't random, its deliberate

Not to mention...not very "high level", if its just "random as balls"...

Which has several reasons why it should be in, and not one person has ever said any reason why air counters would be bad beyond "I want my free damage." Would certainly up the skill level, for certain, since people would have to gauge whether to continue a juggle and risk being countered, or break off for mixup. Or just use different juggles rather than the same standard ones you see all the time. Either way, people would need to learn better mixup (which would make them better players/fighters), and the person being juggled gets to at least try to do something besides just wait, so it's win/win on both sides if they added that in.

If someone gave a valid argument and pointed out something I'm missing/overlooking, then sure, i'd stop suggesting it. But no, only responses I've gotten so far are "What would be the point of attacking if I don't get guaranteed damage" (that's a direct quote from one of the responses, just sad...), which is just people being lazy and not wanting to work for wins. It's not like it suddenly means "nothing works", all it means is that you make each hit count instead of relying on free hits.
First of all, how can you even say that so many things are wrong with Rikuto's post... He is an ACTUAL HIGH LEVEL PLAYER! He knows more about the game than you probably ever would.
You know absolutely nothing about high level play... you probably haven't even been to an offline tournament.

Second, you want air holds (which not only is a terrible idea, but honestly just sounds absolutely stupid) to force people to use different juggles why? So you can have a better chance at winning when you should be losing? Geez if we left it up to you, everyone would be able to hold out of everything, even after getting CB'd.
And it will certaintly not UP the skill level. It will become even worse. Now you would have to guess out of EVERYTHING in the game with little reward. And wait? It doesn't even take that long to finish a juggle....
If anything, holds make the defender have to work much less in order to gain a win, since they know that if they ever get hit, they can always stop the next one. It stops people from blocking, which is the main thing that they should be doing, it actually makes people much more lazier if that is what you honestly want to bring up. Look at the majority of doa players, none of them want to block at all, doesn't this SHOW you something? Probably not since you apparently want the game to be the most godaweful worst fighting game in history.

DrDogg

I need a more detailed list of which Alpha colors result in issues on specific stages. Right now I have:

Blue > EotE
Green (?) > Lab

Raansu

green on eote is just as difficult to see as blue is, if not more because its a lighter color.

DR2K

green on eote is just as difficult to see as blue is, if not more because its a lighter color.

Ones blue green and the other is green blue. I love it when alpha players intentionally pick EoE or lab with them.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I need a more detailed list of which Alpha colors result in issues on specific stages. Right now I have:

Blue > EotE
Green (?) > Lab

Basically Blue/Green are equally as bad. EotE is the worst stage with her due to her translucency. Basically take any lightly-colored unsaturated stage. The darker the stage, the easier it is to see her.

DrDogg

Basically Blue/Green are equally as bad. EotE is the worst stage with her due to her translucency. Basically take any lightly-colored unsaturated stage. The darker the stage, the easier it is to see her.

Detailed list please.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Detailed list please.

eh...

I know Arrival is really, really bad for blue and green. When Alpha takes off for the skies, she literally goes predator.

EoTE is just god awful.

Biolab sucks for green, I hear.

The end of the waterfall on Flow can be pretty shitty too, depending on which direction the camera is swinging.

Basically anything where it's daylight and the sky has a clear shot is a recipe for disaster. Biolab is kind of an exception.

DrDogg

So Red Alpha is fine on any stage? Blue/Green are only good on:

Dead or Alive
Depth
Dojo (I'm guessing not?)
Fighting Entertainment
Fuel
Home
Hot Zone
Primal
Sanctuary
Scramble
Sweat
Temple of the Dragon
The Show

And no blue/green on:

Ends of the Earth
Street
Sakura
Lab
Flow
Arrival

IceMage95

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I've had some trouble with seeing blue/green Alpha in some parts of Home where the walls are white/beige.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD