Community Save Yourself

Renarism

There are some people from DOA2U days. Hell, I've been around since DOA2U.
I was more under-the-radar however. Anyway, DOA5 is definitely the most fun and by far my favorite DOA game to-date.
Yes, there can be changes here and there made that I think would make it EVEN better, but just because I think there still needs some changes doesn't mean it makes it a horrible game.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Yes, there can be changes here and there made that I think would make it EVEN better, but just because I think there still needs some changes doesn't mean it makes it a horrible game.

Agreed. It's like I've said in other posts. You can enjoy something and still have legitimate complaints about it. I really hate the mentality that some on this site have where they think that in order to truly be a fan of something you have to blindly like everything about it and never say anything negative ever.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Agreed. It's like I've said in other posts. You can enjoy something and still have legitimate complaints about it. I really hate the mentality that some on this site have where they think that in order to truly be a fan of something you have to blindly like everything about it and never say anything negative ever.
But if I did say anything negative about Christie, she'd pry a needle through my throat.

I swear, one day I was sleeping with my Christie doll neatly in place, and it knocked me upside the head. I swear, it was friggin' possessed, dude. And all I said in my sleep was that I dislike Christie not having a fast sitdown stun that tracks. Since then, I was sleeping with one eye open... D=

But seriously, I get what you're saying. On the flip side of the coin, however, people can get a tad overzealous in their complaints, and that in turn irritates some of us who even wish to be cautiously optimistic... more specifically, myself.

Take UnderX and his crusade to make us look bad just because we didn't go with the whole character customization idea, for example...

Raansu

Which ones came back and left?

I remember Ryujin and Silent Legend coming back, even telling Shimbori and Peter at the launch party that this is the best they have done a really good job on the game and it's some of their best work.

Something Unique even came back after disappearing even half-way through DOA2U, and he currently is in flux over his character changes but even when he says he's done with the game he still comes online to play it.

Let's be serious here for a second. Dead or Alive 5 is a good entry in the series. Team NINJA made a game that they wanted to make, listened to a LOT of feedback when previously they would listen to 0% of it. Specifically, they returned natural combos, wall hits no longer allowing holds after being hit into them, you can't hold or stagger escape out of guard breaks, active frames of holds have been decreased and recovery increased even more so in stun, you still have guaranteed combos and juggles, normal hit launch height has been increased - not to the levels of DOA2/3 but enough to get at least a small juggle in, if you want to be greedy and get an even higher juggle then you can risk playing the stun game, a sidestep system has been officially added instead of just the free step system and even has moves that are free step-able that aren't side step-able, damage on holds has been on the average decreased while providing more options to hold with advanced holds, some abusive holds such as the izuna drop have been made advanced holds due to the reward they receive, and that's just the system changes off the top of my head. We're not even talking about the casual things such as separating the ranked and non-ranked options.

In my opinion, DOA5 is up there for me with DOA3.1. I can't say it's better or worse because the game hasn't even been out for a year yet. DOA3.1's game changed after a few years.

Your problem right now is that you haven't been able to adapt to your character in the game. She's been changed to a single strike or throw mix-up character instead of a string-based DOA4 stun game character. Yes, you lost your 6H+P 46P guaranteed combo, but she's the queen of whiff punishing and knocking into the walls. Yes, Bass doesn't play like his DOA3 counterpart, but I've been able to delve in and find some other way to fuck people's shit up. It required me to not look at the face value of the game and say "This isn't DOA3! ARGH! THIS GAME SUCKS! *throws controller at the wall*" but actually learn the system that was present and how my character fit in it.

So please, stop. Just. Stop. Your local community is especially not going to grow if you're constantly screaming at people that "THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS!". Up here in the Maryland local scene I've only had maybe 4 people join up, but that's 4 people more than there were 4 years ago. It takes time, dedication, and patience. Bitching and moaning will not help you here. Meanwhile, the tournament numbers of the North East Coast have increased each major tournament, and Massachusetts has grown a nice scene that has shown some serious promise. The entire scene also traveled down together to NEC and got to show its muscle.

Again, get serious people and don't expect Team NINJA to baby feed you your own damn scene. They don't require the scene to be there because they're making more money off the non-competitive scene, and they've made it this far without it. Dead or Alive 5 is a far far far better game than Dead or Alive 4, and you should sit down, shut up, play it, and see what it has to offer as it ages.

Band-aids on a flawed system are still band-aids. It's better than DoA4 yes, but that's not really saying much considering it still incorporates much of DoA4's flawed mechanics while giving special treatment to a small number of the cast then 1.03 comes out and just skews that balance even more. By all means though, keep living in denial about it.

And I don't say anything negative when I go to CEO (ask kurosaki-jono, he come's with me every time). The other players though? They play it, they bad mouth it, and when I explain things to them, they laugh even more because of how obnoxious the system sounds compared to other fighters, and the few that were interested in it and played in the tournaments get steamrolled, don't say anything and just leave the ball room after they lose their match and less of them showed up for each event. Hell, I begged swoozie to show and he LIVES in Orlando and he wouldn't come to any of them.

I never say anything negative on the CEO facebook page, the doa florida page or at the event. The game speaks for itself.

I don't get why you're still playing it.
I literally cannot think of any rational reason why you would continue to play a game you don't feel is very good.

I honestly don't anymore. 1.03 came out and I played it for a few days mostly just BSing with Bass, but overall I mostly want nothing to do with the game anymore.

Brute

Standard Donor
I honestly don't anymore. 1.03 came out and I played it for a few days mostly just BSing with Bass, but overall I mostly want nothing to do with the game anymore.
Well have fun on a DOA forum when you don't play DOA then.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Band-aids on a flawed system are still band-aids. It's better than DoA4 yes, but that's not really saying much considering it still incorporates much of DoA4's flawed mechanics while giving special treatment to a small number of the cast then 1.03 comes out and just skews that balance even more. By all means though, keep living in denial about it.

Okay, I'm trying to be very civil here. What exactly are the things that you find make the DOA5 system flawed? Just list them out for me. Most of the 'flaws' I have with DOA5 are still present in DOA2 and DOA3. So I'm just curious about what flaws you personally see.

Chris Harris

Matt : Basically the only thing people want gone from the DoA series which will NEVER happen is the holding system. Which is why I think the now struggling is a good look from the game. That is about as CLOSE as you will ever get to the game being without holds.

The only thing I would like them to not do is make hasty choices on balance changes based on the online community. With the next game (assuming there will be one) there needs to be a strong update to their online mode. SC5, TTT2, SFIV, etc. Those games are all the standard now and if you are under that your game just won't have a good life. It won't even have the initial boom that most new games get.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Matt : Basically the only thing people want gone from the DoA series which will NEVER happen is the holding system. Which is why I think the now struggling is a good look from the game. That is about as CLOSE as you will ever get to the game being without holds.

Right, and again that 'flaw' is in all of the previous DOAs in one form or another. So, that's why I was asking what particularly is Raansu's list of flaws he sees in this game.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Only thing people can do that wants to play is to focus on them & people who wants to play or make the scene happen. People are gonna hate & comment for whatever reason regardless if it was a good move or bad move. It's just how it is.

hounddog75

People always going to hate. It was the same for soul calibur b.c. everyone's old characters were not there. cry me a river. Those like the game will play. those that hate gonna hate. I suck and and i'm having fun playing ranked.

Gruff757

Standard Donor
They should put the counters on a meter that recharges every 2 to 5 seconds depending on the individual character.

Roll back some of those 1.03 buffs and put the counters on a meter = problems solved.

that sounds kinda similar to the Ninja Storm Generations Substitution meter limit

d3v

They should put the counters on a meter that recharges every 2 to 5 seconds depending on the individual character.
I like this.

Reminds me of the burst meter in ArcSys games which makes sense since holds do just about the same thing, except they do more damage in general.

vINv

Absurd they have ruined enough games with meter based systems scv prime example alot the vets h8 that game because of meter bah no more sf gamess

Blackburry

Standard Donor
The flaw with DOA is that you are constantly guessing and mind ****ing yourself. The difference between DOA and other games is that there are only a couple of situations where you put your opponent in a certain situation, see how they react, and then make the appropriate reads. In DOA you are doing that every time you put them in stun. Will they low hold? Will they try to hold my launcher? Are they going to just mash out to avoid being thrown? Are they going to hold at neutral? Are they going to smarten up and realize what I'm doing so that I have to mix it up? Same thing happens when you are stunned.
For some reason ducking is still slow against throws and are unbreakable, so you get destroyed for trying to play too much defense which encourages you to just press buttons to avoid getting put in bad situations. Oh and lets not forget wake up kicks...yes they got nerfed, but they still do the same thing and work the same way they did before on counter hit. The game definitely has flaws on a fundamental level. Do I hate the game? No I love DOA...I just wish I could use the fundamentals I picked up from venturing off into other games to outplay my opponent instead of just pressing buttons..

A good start to fixing some of the problems would be to make it so that only certain moves stun, wake up kicks are negative on block and hit, ducking is fast across the board, and make throws outside of 10-12 frames breakable.

When was the last MK9 and P4A 100+ major?

And then you have VF5FS, that DID get over 100, AT EVO last year, and wasn't selected.

MK9 always gets good numbers on the East Coast and at EVO. Putting P4A over DOA was kinda stupid though I admit. If anything that game is in the same boat as DOA with numbers if not worse.

bingsoo

Putting P4A over DOA was kinda stupid though I admit. If anything that game is in the same boat as DOA with numbers if not worse.
I am a fan of both P4A and DOA, but I don't see how the two compare in terms of numbers. Are you talking about tournament numbers? If so, you are mistaken. P4A had 96 players at FR, 126 at Winter Brawl. I don't remember the numbers for SCR, but it was more than twice the number of DOA players.

Anime fg players are keeping P4A alive, at least until EVO or BB:CP comes along. The only thing comparable between P4A and DOA numbers are the local and online scenes. P4A online is dead mostly because of the region-lock, and I don't know why there are so few locals compared to major showings.

I'd love for DOA to be comparable to P4A numbers, and hope to contribute to that starting in the summer, but as of now, the two games are not in the same boat.

Julius Rage

There should probably only be 3 majors for DOA at this point.

DID
Final Round
NEC

Final round at the beginning of the year, DID in the summer and NEC to close out the year. It's also important that you guys start reaching out to smaller scenes to help bolster the DOA ranks. Host a VF or SC tourney but package an entry into DOA with the admission. Even if the pot for DOA ends up being split up based on the number of entrants who registered for DOA as their main game you'll end up introducing the game to a larger audience in a setting where DOAs competitive merits can properly be displayed and appreciated.

Regular streaming would help and it would help much more if you guys showed love on the streams to the other communities you're trying to court by streaming those games on your channel.

Online tournaments with prizes. A pack of 3 800 point cards is 30 bucks. That's three monthly online tournaments.

Kill Maxdrago.

Start back up the Plus cast and interview players on it.

Post strategy or move of the week Column on the front page - actually you guys should do both.

There are a lot of things you guys are not doing and if a third of you are half as passionate about getting DOAs scene to a respectable level then I think you have the personnel to pull off everything I just listed and then some.

Julius Rage

And publicly address the things that bother you about DOA but also talk about what makes it solid.

Draw parallels between DOA and other fighters. (Not just systems but characters as well)

Overviews, breakdowns, opinion pieces. Lots is written in forum threads. Find the good shit , clean it up and show it off.

Look in the mirror, not at the game, if you need some help mother fuckers

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD