Competitive balance: DOA5U mechanics changes

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Hahahahaha, they nerfed Kokoro's throw.

EDIT: Sabaki 44P is a guaranteed CB now apparently, though, so I'm okay with it.

just_me

Standard Donor
Hahahahaha, they nerfed Kokoro's throw.

EDIT: Sabaki 44P is a guaranteed CB now apparently, though, so I'm okay with it.

Don't think so... on a successful 44P Sabaki, the opponent could actually hold the Strike... and that was fixed I think, which is the least they could do imo xD

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Oh, you mean they want to fix the issue where they would no longer be in stun after a successful sabaki if they hold? That would make more sense.

DR2K

Poor eliot. Gets nerfs while Genfu and Sarah stay retarded.

I'm wondering what they adjusted with Helenas delayable frames. Probably nerfs, but she's safer so that's nice.

just_me

Standard Donor
Oh, you mean they want to fix the issue where they would no longer be in stun after a successful sabaki if they hold? That would make more sense.

It's currently like this:
If you perform a successful 44P Sabaki (you caught a mid P)the opponent might be able to hold the Punch of 44P (and that would be a 100% guaranteed hold since the Kokoro player can't cancel that move, it's kinda like turning around an holding Alpha's Parrys)
I think that happens, if the Kokoro player catches a mid P during the first few active Frames of the Sabaki and the time between the the parry/deflect and the impact of 44P becomes too large. Eating guaranteed Dmg after a successful Sabaki obviously sucks, so I think they fixed that "bug" :p
Example: do :6: :K: on block and :4: :4: :P: directly after, if you catch a non-delayed i12-i15ish mid, the P of your Sabaki can be held. If you catch a slower mid (dunno ~i19), it's guaranteed (as it should be).

If you meant that it's no longer possible to hold out of the crumple stun instantly... don't think they changed that.

Max536Drago

New idea for DOA! I think this is one of my best ones, yet! :D And please, tweet this to TN. This idea needs all the support it can get. If you're tired of random guessing in stun, then this is for you! https://mobile.twitter.com/Max536Drago/tweets It's about not being able to use the same type of stun (in a row), and not being able to do the same attack in the same stun combo. It may not seem like much, but it would really help decrease guessing, spam, and just open up newer, better possibilities for DOA.

Ok, try this link https://twitter.com/max536drago

@TeamNINJAStudio ‪#‎DOA5Ublance‬ I just got off a combo with Christie that did 91 damage. I just used Christie's 4P to stun, then launch on CS
On counter the combo was 4K, 4K (launch), 2PP, 6K, 6K46K. That's 91 damage for a juggle that was just stun level 1, TN.
Not to mention that the stagger escape level for the CPU was on fast, which is the average good players do.
How can a juggle from SL 1 give so much damage!? Please, change this! Stun level 3 and CB should only give good height.
Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Max536Drago

That's a really old post... My recent critique is getting good height from critical stun level 1. What is wrong with not being able to use the same stun in a row anyway? Oh, wait, I can answer that for you. It's because you want the game to be a cheap stun fest. Keeping the game the way it is now, people will continue to talk trash about it and not take it seriously, including me. In every video, when I see newbies play DOA, they always complain about the stun system and not being able to block. They don't even know how to play, but they're more right than they realize.

Brute

Standard Donor
That's a really old post... My recent critique is getting good height from critical stun level 1. What is wrong with not being able to use the same stun in a row anyway? Oh, wait, I can answer that for you. It's because you want the game to be a cheap stun fest. Keeping the game the way it is now, people will continue to talk trash about it and not take it seriously, including me. In every video, when I see newbies play DOA, they always complain about the stun system and not being able to block. They don't even know how to play, but they're more right than they realize.
Or maybe you're more wrong than you realize.

Brute

Standard Donor
Ok, tell me why you think I'm wrong.
Well, in case you hadn't noticed, almost everyone's P and PP creates the same stun effect when used inside stun. So if you can't use the same stun type twice in a row, you could no longer use PP unless from neutral, otherwise the opponent would simply fall to the ground.

That's just one of the many reasons why such a proposal is inane. Others deal with some characters having weak neutral but good stun-chaining rewards once they get in to compensate for that, others deal with certain characters having limited stun-type variation and relying on different hit-levels but inflicting the same stun type, others deal with mix-ups and having multiple ways to enter a good scenario.

Last edited:

DR2K

Character balance. No reason for Christie to be a midweight. Remove weird weight classes like Helena and Genfu, who I think should be in the light weight class as well. Balance weight class by advantages, not asthetics.

Intelligent Alpha

Character balance. No reason for Christie to be a midweight. Remove weird weight classes like Helena and Genfu, who I think should be in the light weight class as well. Balance weight class by advantages, not asthetics.

how would this look in your opinion because going by that would open more "wounds" than there already are! Everyone has positives and negatives.

Alpha for example: Wouldn't she already be balanced? Crazy ass offense, no defense! The lightest in the game! However, by your logic, what are you saying? She was never heavy, so I doubt they'll do that. Let go in the opposite direction with (Nyo)Tengu. He's heavy, so he's less advantageous I'm just curious!

Balance is something that is very hard to do! I think they took a step further when they reduced the weight categories. Eight was too much!

Max536Drago

how would this look in your opinion because going by that would open more "wounds" than there already are! Everyone has positives and negatives.

Alpha for example: Wouldn't she already be balanced? Crazy ass offense, no defense! The lightest in the game! However, by your logic, what are you saying? She was never heavy, so I doubt they'll do that. Let go in the opposite direction with (Nyo)Tengu. He's heavy, so he's less advantageous I'm just curious!

Balance is something that is very hard to do! I think they took a step further when they reduced the weight categories. Eight was too much!
I think there should be 5 weight categories: feather, light, mid, heavy,super heavy (Genra only).
Well, in case you hadn't noticed, almost everyone's P and PP creates the same stun effect when used inside stun. So if you can't use the same stun type twice in a row, you could no longer use PP unless from neutral, otherwise the opponent would simply fall to the ground.

That's just one of the many reasons why such a proposal is inane. Others deal with some characters having weak neutral but good stun-chaining rewards once they get in to compensate for that, others deal with certain characters having limited stun-type variation and relying on different hit-levels but inflicting the same stun type, others deal with mix-ups and having multiple ways to enter a good scenario.
I did notice that. Here's an easy fix: jabs are light attacks, so you can do that stun twice, instead of heavier attacks, like stunning with Hitomi's 3P, then doing 9P. But hold on, most jabs don't stun deep, unless it's HC. If it's hi-counter, you only need one jab anyway. The stun that jabs cause on counter hit is not a critical stun. You can block the rest of the strings after them, so they wouldn't fall after two jabs. You follow me? It just takes bit of thinking outside the box.

@Brute I don't think DOA5U will be getting anymore patches so there's no longer any use for this thread. Feel free to lock it.
These are ideas for DOA5LR and the future of DOA... At least mine are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brute

Standard Donor
I did notice that. Here's an easy fix: jabs are light attacks, so you can do that stun twice, instead of heavier attacks, like stunning with Hitomi's 3P, then doing 9P.
An easier fix would be to leave the stuns as they are for the multitude of other reasons I mentioned briefly.

But hold on, most jabs don't stun deep, unless it's HC. If it's hi-counter, you only need one jab anyway. The stun that jabs cause on counter hit is not a critical stun. You can block the rest of the strings after them, so they wouldn't fall after two jabs. You follow me? It just takes bit of thinking outside the box.
I am well aware of this, which is why I said they create "the same stun effect when used inside stun." So, say you land a 6P on CH and get access to a +12 or more stun. Then you hit P. It will create the same deep stun type as the following P will from here, just as they would from landing on HiC.

Now, if what you're proposing is "let's make it so you can't use PP from stun (limiting it's use to NH and CH only)," I would respond with saying that's a terrible idea, since many characters have attacks from their P strings they may like to do from stun. For example, say I get a light stun with Marie and want to follow it up with a rondo mix-up. I could freely enter rondo, but then I would lose the stun and my opponent could SE and block again, and my threshold is set back to zero for launch heights. However, I can extend the stun with PP and then go into PP6P4 or PP6K4, delaying the stun and entering the desired jab mixup without being forced into an unnecessary free-cancel such as P H 6K4

Side note: don't double or triple post.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD