Competitive balance: DOA5U mechanics changes

Tulkas

Premium Donor
I don't know about that. If it's in stun, then it gives everyone non staggerable setups and if you know if someone's going to go for that, then you'd have a better idea of their general approach. Then again, in 5U almost everyone in the game has non stagger setups, so maybe we could have less stun on jabs in critical stun.

If it's about hi-counter jabs, then it makes sense because everything on hi counter causes heavy stun anyway.
Jabs are about 0.05% of DOA moves. There are plenty options for hi countering throws and extending stuns. I don't see the need of being that cheap.

Last edited:

Intelligent Alpha

How will this affect characters (players) that like to poke? I don't mean to an extreme, but poking to setup other things? Even I think the uber-reliance on stuns is stupid and Alpha (I) pokes to set-up shop whereas an Ein player can keep you motionless with stuns all day long. Holding from stun isn't the point, but since you brought it up: Get poked like crazy or hold out of them to get thrown?

The former is happening more because the game insists that you just strike - even if you're a grappler or playing a non-grappler like one! Poking/Stuns ought not be a problem since no one seems to fear holding or if excessive holding is happening, there's no throwing as a consequence.

IOW, there's no balance of the triangle among many players; however, I find this imbalance smart since/if you know the risks. You hold as the defender, the attacker has a plethora of options:

Throw punish, the best option because eventually you'll get caught throwing out raw strike (stun/stagger/etc.) If the attacker goes for throw: Techs/CTs/HCS to beat them out.

This game is strike heavy which induces hold spamming - that's the issue here! If it were grab/throw heavy, you'd get complaints, too; yet, the hold spamming, but no complaints thwew! If you come across a smart throw heavy player, what then? There are two ways to inflict damage; yet, no one fears the obvious method. What happens when you're getting beat by the other method or when both methods are used jointly? (ie: Tick-throwing, if the opponent is smart enough not to hold, which I don't see too much of either)

I appreciate the stun game; however, it is taken too far sometimes!

Last edited:

quash

My main issue with DOA5U was that while the triangle game is probably the best DOA has ever had, there is little else to the game, honestly. Yes there is poking, but it's usually used as a way to set up stun, which to me kind of defeats the purpose.

I would like it if pokes didn't force stun at least on normal hit, and gave slight frame advantage on block so you can force nitaku (be it with a long ranged mid, crouch dash mixup, whatever). As it is, I can 3K people with Jacky all day and get decent damage from the ensuing stun game, and in order to not get punished for it on block I have to cancel into jab.

That's another thing: what is up with these frame advantages lol. Pak sao is negative for Jacky, yet Beat Knuckle's P followup is neutral. What are they thinking, lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD