Different characters have different Weight Classes. Because of this, a juggle combo might work on a lighter character, but not on a heavier one.
Here's a list of each Launcher Height from the heaviest to the lightest. The long number represents in meters how high each character got launched in the air with a specific attack, which helps dividing characters into different Weight Classes. The + number is the in-game move details' frame advantage part that shows how much time the characters took to land on the ground from that launcher.
DOA5LR WEIGHT CLASSES
CLASS 1 - 2.199795723m - +41 - (Heavy) Bass, Bayman, Leon, Rachel, Raidou
CLASS 2 - 2.321933746m - +44 - Gen Fu
CLASS 3 - 2.344943523m - +44 - Helena
CLASS 4 - 2.355563402m - +44 - Brad Wong, Christie, Ein, Lisa, Nyotengu
CLASS 5 - 2.357333422m - +44 - Akira, Hayabusa, Hayate, Jacky, Jann Lee, Naotora, Rig, Tina, Zack
CLASS 6 - 2.381569862m - +45 - Leifang, Pai
CLASS 7 - 2.404580116m - +45 - Ayane, Honoka, Kasumi, Marie Rose, Phase-4
CLASS 8 - 2.415199757m - +45 - Eliot, Hitomi, Kokoro, Mai, Mila, Momiji, Sarah
CLASS 9 - 2.656773329m - +49 - (Feather) Alpha-152
- Mode: Free Training.
- Launcher: Jann Lee 33P against a low throwing dummy. I wanted to achieve the highest possible launcher height and 33P is the highest non-PL mid launcher in the game that I know of. Striking a throwing opponent triggers Hi Counter which launches higher. Launching a Crouching opponent launches even higher.
- Cheat Engine was used to retrieve more accurate Launcher Height values (in-game they are rounded to just two decimals). CT file is downloadable here.
- Game client version: DOA5LR Steam Ver.1.10C.
OTHER HEIGHT FACTORS
There are at least 6 heights that can be achieved from the same launcher, depending on the stun level, being standing or crouching, being front or back turned, and the Normal/Counter/HiCounter modifier. Here is Hayabusa launching another Hayabusa with 3P+K in several scenarios:
Please note that exceptions exist, such as:Code:- Normal Standing = 1.569000959m - LV.1 critical Standing = 1.607422829m - Normal Crouching = 1.637314796m - LV.1 critical Crouching / LV.2 critical Standing / Normal Standing Back Turned / = 1.764707327m - LV.1 critical Standing Back Turned / LV.2 critical Crouching / LV.3 critical Standing BT/FT / Hi Counter Standing / Normal Back Turned Crouching / Critical Burst = 1.860717654m - LV.3 critical Crouching / Hi Counter Crouching / Hi Counter Crouching Back Turned = 1.892233968m
- Jann Lee 9K against Back Turned opponents launches significantly lower compared to Front facing ones (old issue, DOA2U had this).
- Nyotengu 7K always launches at the same height (implying the same weight).
- Competitive-wise, the heavier the better.
- Launcher Heights seem the same in Solo and Tag. The reason Tag juggles are longer is because you can combo using two characters, and less moves cause juggles to end because the properties of many moves change there.
- The official Weight Classes according to Tutorial Lesson 20 are 4: Heavy, Middle, Light, Feather... even though there are actually 9 as we have seen. Only the descriptions of Heavy and Feather are strictly true.
- While it's true that "bounce height is not influenced by weight" (mentioned in Lesson 20.7, e.g. Hitomi 8H+K), the moment you hit a bouncing opponent once, Weight Classes will start to matter again.
- Boss Hayabusa and boss Hayate are class 5. Boss Ayane and boss Kasumi are class 8.
- Power Launcher Heights ignore almost every mechanic in the game, such as the character, Weight Classes, Normal/Counter/HiCounter, Crouching, Back Turned, Critical Bursts etc. and will usually launch at the same height every time (4.339696884m). The only way to launch at different heights with a PL is to hit someone whose body is not touching the floor. For example hitting Jann Lee's idle animation should result in slightly different Launcher Heights every time. Launching jumping moves such as Kasumi's 9P+K with Hi Counter timing will give a significant height boost too (I was able to PL her as high as 5.12938118m). This oddity does not apply to PL's exclusively: