[DOA2++] Moveset Editing Project

Gultigargar

Hello again, thread. usagiZ was kind enough to teach me how to change the active frames of attacks, so I've been working on lowering the active frames of holds.

Right now I've lowered holds to have 16 active frames, which made me realize that you can apparently only get a high-counter throw if you throw them during their active frames, not the recovery frames. This made me consider increasing the active frames up to DOA5's 18 frames, just to make it slightly easier to throw punish, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

I was also kind of unsure what to do with parries. Should they be lowered to the same amount of active frames as the hold? Or maybe stay at 22 active frames?

Gultigargar

Time for some double-postin'.

I've been working on 4 characters - Ayane, Bass, Ein and Zack - trying to make them as similar to their DOA3 incarnations as DOA2U will allow me. You can get their modified files here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ecx7qt5qyon91qt/DOA3 Mod Test.rar

Here's a list of their changes:
Code:
AYANE
- 9P stuns on normal hit
- BT 7P lift-stuns on normal hit instead of causing a very low launch
- Landing P lift-stuns instead of knocking away
- 6K damage lowered to 23
- PP6PP damage lowered to 24
- 66P/PPP/BT PPP/ lift-stuns (She has a different move in DOA3, so I also considered
giving her the stomach-stun her 66P does there, but for now it's lift-stun because it's
the same attack as Landing P)

BASS
- 6P limbo-stuns on counter-hit

EIN
- BT 8K is hold-resistant
- BT 2P is +4 on block
- 9PK is -5 on block

ZACK
- 7P stuns on normal hit
- 66P/236PP lift-stuns
- 4KK/BT 4K is +1 on block
- PPP/236P/33PP is -6 on block
- PPPK/236PK is -2 on block
- 44KK is -8 on block
- PP6K is -8 on block
- 66K is -5 on block
- PP4.K is 0 on block
- F+K is -7 on block
If I missed anything (that doesn't involve the new DOA3 animations, such as ground-bounce, air-flip, guard-break and so on) just let me know and I'll fix it.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

I've been finding more addresses for Jann Lee, Gen Fu, Kasumi and Hayabusa, but haven't had time to make any changes. If any of you feel like doing it, you can get .txt files with the addresses here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/yyew5wriuhcx01x/DOA2U_AttackProperties.rar
Contains the text files for all the characters whose addresses I've identified so far (Ayane, Ein, Bass, Zack, Kasumi, Gen Fu, Jann Lee, Hayabusa and Tengu) and .bin files for Jann Lee, Gen Fu, Kasumi and Hayabusa. They're really easy to edit, just get a memory editor like HxD.

Gill Hustle

Well this looks interesting sorry I'm late.

Say would any assets from DOA4 be incorporated like mid air punch and kick holds?

I remember some characters in DOA3.1 had one or the other but not both animations till 4 came out.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
mid air punch and kick holds had been for everyone starting in DOA2. DOA1 they were just unholdable attacks.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I think he's referring to the fact that everyone had a unique hold animation for both air punches and air kicks. That would likely be almost impossible to incorporate if the animations aren't already in DOA2U, which is unlikely.

Gultigargar

usagiZ is still the only one who knows how to import animations from the other games. It should be possible, but I just don't know how to do it.

Making jump-attacks holdable should be pretty easy, though, if you don't mind just using the character's regular standing hold-animations. It didn't sound like that was what you wanted, though.

Gultigargar

I finally worked my way through all the characters (except Hitomi, but she's already more or less identical to her DOA3 self). You can get the new version of the "mod" here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gjz99or27ii5tcg/DOA2to3 Mod.rar
I've also included text files with addresses for characters's attacks so you can make your own modifications if you want. Be warned that a lot of my notes a pretty messy, though.

Here's a list of the changes so far:
Code:
EVERYONE
- Holds frames changed to 0(18)12
- Low holds no longer recovers 3 frames faster than high and mid-holds. Consequently they are also 0(18)12, rather than 0(18)9
- Hold damage changed to DOA3 levels (with the exception of Bayman and Leifang, who were given their advanced hold damage)

AYANE
- 9P stuns on normal hit
- BT 7P lift-stuns on normal hit
- 6K damage lowered to 23
- PP6PP damage lowered to 24
- 66P/Land P lift-stun on normal hit
- PPP/BT PPP lift stun on normal and counter-hit
- 1P/BT 1P/BT PP2P are -5/-2 on block/hit.
- P+K is -1 on hit
- 33P is -8/-5 on block/hit
- BT PP4P is +2 on hit

BASS
- 6P limbo-stuns on counter-hit
- 6K damage lowered to 24
- 66K is -3 on block
- 46P is +2 on block
- 8K damage lowered to 30 and is -6 on block
- 9P damage lowered to 24 and stuns on normal hit
- 7P stuns on normal hit
- P+K damage lowered to 26
- 6F+P and 3F+P have swapped inputs

BAYMAN
- 46P is +6 on block
- 236K is +1 on block
- 6PPP is -2 on block
- 6PP2K damage lowered to 22
- 214P is -6 on block
- 1PP/PP2PP are -6 on block
- 4P2K/P+KP2K damage increased to 25
- 1KK/P6PK knocks the target away
- KP causes a knockdown on normal hit and a mini-launch (stand-in for a ground-bounce)
on counter-hit
- KPP is -5 on block

EIN
- BT 8K is hold-resistant
- BT 2P is +4 on block
- 9PK is -5 on block
- F+KK is -1 on block
- 236K is -3 on block
- 6F+K is -4 on block
- 46K is -6 on block
- 9KK/3KKK are -7 on block

GEN FU
- 9P stuns on normal and counter-hit
- 9K stuns on normal and counter-hit
- P+K is +9 on block, stuns on normal hit and knocks the target away on counter-hit
- 3KP46P is +1 on block
- 64P is 0 on block
- 3P+K/6PPP+K are 0 on block
- 6P+K is -1 on block
- 4PP is -3 on block
- 4P6PP+K is -3 on block
- 4P+K is -3 on block
- 236PP is -4 on block

HAYABUSA
- 2F+K/PP2K/1_KK has a new stun and stuns on counter-hit
- 4PK knocks the target away on normal and counter-hit
- 64K has a new stun and stuns on normal and counter-hit
- K damage lowered to 28
- 8K damage lowered to 24
- 8KK damage lowered to 26
- Rising K damage lowered to 27
- Rising 4K lift-stuns on normal hit and is -1 on block
- 236K damage lowered to 29
- 4P+K damage increased to 45
- KK is +6 on block
- 66P is +2 on block and knocks the target away on counter-hit
- 4P6P/P4P6P knock the target away on counter-hit
- 3F+K/PP4PK are -4 on block
- Handstand F.K stuns on normal and counter-hit
- KP damage lowered to 22 and crumble-stuns* on normal and counter-hit
(*KP doesn't seem to have "stance detection," which means that the attack will either
always give a limbo-stun or the stomach-crumble you get from attempting limbo-stun
with an incorrect stance. Ryu's KP is currently set to always stomach-crumble, but I
can change it to always limbo-stun instead if you think that's how it should be.)

HELENA
- 1KP/66KPP are +2 on block and knock the target away on normal hit
- PPK/9PK are +1 on block
- 6P+K is -6 on block
- 8P damage increased to 25
- 7P/6KP/BT 6KP/Bokuho 4PKP lift-stun on normal hit
- 2F+K stuns on normal hit
- 4P+K stuns on normal hit

JANN LEE
- 46K/6K46K/2KK are +3 on block
- 3KK is +3 on block
- F+KK is +2 on block
- 4P is -2 on block
- 3P is -2 on hit
- 8P is -4 on hit
- 7P stuns on normal hit
- 6F+P damage lowered to 28

KASUMI
- 9PK is +9 on block
- 4KK is +3 on block
- 4F+K is -1 on block
- 9K/6P6K are -8 on block
- 3_PK is -9 on block
- 33P is -9 on block
- 8P stuns on normal hit
- K3K/PK3K/PPK3K knock the target away on normal and counter-hit
- F+K damage increased to 34
- 6F+P damage increased to 48

LEIFANG
- 9P lift-stuns on normal hit
- 8P stuns on normal hit
- 4PP/PP4PP lift-stun on normal hit
- 2P+K/P3PP+K/3KP+K/33PP+K damage lowered to 32
- 7P lift-stuns on normal and counter-hit
- BT P+K is +9 on block
- 1P+K is +3 on block
- F+K is +3 on block
- PPP/236P are +1 on block
- KK/PPKK are -5 on block
- P3PP is -6 on block
- K2K is -7 on block
- 6K is -7 on block
- 1PP is -8 on block
- 8K is -8 on block

LEON
- PP1P damage lowered to 28
- 46P is +5 on block
- P+K is +5 on block, stuns on normal hit and knocks the target away on counter-hit
- 6P+K is +4 on block
- 6PPP/236P are -2 on block
- 214P is -10 on block
- 4P+K/KP causes a mini-launch (stand-in for a ground-bounce) on counter-hit
- KPP is -5 on block
- 4P+KP is -5 on block and launches on normal hit

TINA
- 46P is +6 on block
- 66K is +4 on block
- KK is -4 on block
- 8P is -5 on block
- 9P/PPP damage increased to 25
- 7P damage increased to 28
- 66P damage lowered to 22
- 66PP damage lowered to 18 and lift-stuns on normal hit
- 66PPK damage increased to 38
- 6PPP/236P/2P+KP are -8 on block
- P+K is -9 on block

ZACK
- 7P stuns on normal hit
- 8K damage lowered to 24
- 66P/236PP lift-stun on normal and counter-hit
- 46P/236FP/PP4.P are +4 on block
- 4KK/BT 4K are +1 on block
- PPP/236P/33PP are -6 on block
- PPPK/236PK/PP4.K are -2 on block
- 44KK is -8 on block
- PP6K is -8 on block
- 66K is -5 on block
- F+K is -7 on block
- 33K damage lowered to 24
- 33KK damage increased to 34
- 3_PP causes a mini-launch (stand-in for a ground-bounce) on counter-hit

As always, just replace the files in DOA Online/data/ingame/bin with the downloaded files, and don't forget to back up the originals. You can also use these files to mod DOA2U if you know how to replace the .bin files inside DOA2U's .asf files. (Use ASFExplorer or something similar)

I kind of rushed this because I really wanted this thing over with, so there are probably some mistakes I've made. If any of you spot anything wrong just let me know and I'll fix it.

EDIT: Fixed some errors I made, download link is updated.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

So far the only thing I've worked on with throws is the damage, which is easy enough. (I was considering lowering Tengu's crazy throw damage, but for now they're unchanged).

It should also be possible to, for example, give characters catch throws by just copy/pasting data from another character's catch throw. The main obstacle would be the animation. Normal throws are super-fast, so I'd personally want to do something like using the DOA1 offensive hold animations that are still lying around. Changing animatons isn't something that can really be done quickly, though. There doesn't seem to be much of a pattern to how they're listed, so you more or less have to go through them one by one to see which is which. Once the right animation has been found however, I'm pretty sure it should be possible to turn a throw into a catch throw .

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So far the only thing I've worked on with throws is the damage, which is easy enough. (I was considering lowering Tengu's crazy throw damage, but for now they're unchanged).

It should also be possible to, for example, give characters catch throws by just copy/pasting data from another character's catch throw. The main obstacle would be the animation. Normal throws are super-fast, so I'd personally want to do something like using the DOA1 offensive hold animations that are still lying around. Changing animatons isn't something that can really be done quickly, though. There doesn't seem to be much of a pattern to how they're listed, so you more or less have to go through them one by one to see which is which. Once the right animation has been found however, I'm pretty sure it should be possible to turn a throw into a catch throw .

When I was looking into the DOA3 data, I couldn't get it to change the frame data of a throw (Like say if I wanted a specific throw to be 4 frame startup or 17 frame startup). But I was able to locate the bit that told it which animation to play (The 4 frame startup throw animation or the 5 frame startup throw animation). So I wasn't able to change the data for a move, but I was able to tell it to change which throw animation to play.

I was also able to utilize it for moves such as changing Hayate's 8P+K to do his 88K instead.

synce

This sounds like a cool project but I was disappointed to see the word nerf so many times in the video. Sometimes I feel like I'm crazy among all the nerf-happy folks here but I enjoy playing AND watching fighting games a lot more when characters are broken. If I'm playing the shit character (DOA4 Tengu) the satisfaction from beating a broken character is immense. And if I'm playing a broken character (DOA5 1.01 Alpha) well that's just plain fun.

IMO the ONLY time anything should ever be nerfed is if it completely breaks the game (ie, infinites).

Gultigargar

This sounds like a cool project but I was disappointed to see the word nerf so many times in the video. Sometimes I feel like I'm crazy among all the nerf-happy folks here but I enjoy playing AND watching fighting games a lot more when characters are broken. If I'm playing the shit character (DOA4 Tengu) the satisfaction from beating a broken character is immense. And if I'm playing a broken character (DOA5 1.01 Alpha) well that's just plain fun.

IMO the ONLY time anything should ever be nerfed is if it completely breaks the game (ie, infinites).
The current release doesn't really have anything to do with the video on the front page. It is instead trying to make the characters as close to their DOA3 incarnations as possible. Most of the characters were pretty good in DOA3, so this actually means there are mostly buffs, though not without the occasional damage nerf. So far there are no changes to juggle heights.

Nice job working on the attacks. Any work with throws?
I compared the throw damage between the two games, and I was only really able to find differences with Kasumi, Jann Lee and Bass, which I've implemented. Is that what you meant, or were you just asking about throw-changes in general?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Like Throw speeds, throw animations on hit, throw advantage is what i was getting at.

Gultigargar

Like Throw speeds, throw animations on hit, throw advantage is what i was getting at.
So far I haven't changed any of those things. Throw speed and animations are possible and I'm able to change them, though there are limits to what I can do with them. My guess would be that their advantage is adjustable too, but I don't know how yet.

usagiZ

Hello again. Well it looks like @Gultigargar took over the DOA3-clone mod. Good job :eek:
To be completely honest, a DOA3 clone was never what I set out to do with this knowledge.

It is a pretty exhausting thing to work on, if it's a one man project, and I found myself struggling to make time for this. That's pretty much why there hasn't been much progress on my end (publicly) other than the video in the first post - which is extremely outdated, and I've since done a complete overhaul on the patch.

In my spare time I'm still trying out new things, like porting offensive hold's from DOA4 as catch throws for 2U, but as I've said before, there's a character specific move limit, and an overall filesize limit - so until someone finds a way to completely rebuild the character.bins, replacing existing unused moves is the route this is going in.

@Gill Hustle, For the gameplay patch described in the first post, animations from DOA4 are being ported, but it's mostly some of the new attacks.

@Mr. Wah, It should be easy to change the startup frames for throws, if it works like the holds, but I haven't looked into it thoroughly enough to be sure.

@synce, My "DOA2.4" patch, and Gultigargar's DOA3 mod are different. I "nerfed" some things here and there, because I "buffed" everyone. For example, Ayane got her BT :4::K: from 4. If I kept her re-launch abilities from 2, she'd be able to do three or four BT :P::P::6::P: after the launch, on a middle weight character -- which is just...no. :eek:

-----------------

tl;dr: As soon as I can, I'll update the OP with a new video and showcase some of the changes in the current build of "2.4" (yes, that's an arbitrary build number.)
Characters that are in beta are Kasumi, Leifang, Bass, Tina, Ayane, Helena, Hitomi. I'm more familiar with their movesets, so I started with them.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

Good to see you're still working on your project usagiZ. Looking forward to seeing your progress on it.

Anyway, there's something I've been working on that I'd like to share with you guys. From what I remember, DOA2U Tengu was banned in tournaments because of how strong he was, so I've tried toning him down and getting him closer to how he was in DOA2, but I've also borrowed a few properties from DOA4 and Dimensions.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/a2a8oawo448qupl/tengu_gultigargar.bin
Code:
STRIKE CHANGES
- P animation speed is 110% (making it i15)
- 3P animation speed is 110% (making it i18), juggle height changed to account for its
new speed, launches on counter-hit
- 6P animation speed is 120% (making it i24)
- P+K is now -10 on guard (from -11), damage lowered to 35 (from 53)
- 66P/4P/PP4P/BT PP4P damage lowered to 35 (from 40)
- 66P sends a juggled opponent flying just like PPP (I'm assuming it was a developer
oversight that it didn't before, since it has the same wall-splat range as PPP), -6 on
block (from -12)
- 4P/PP4P/BT PP4P are -2 on block (from -12)
- PPP/BT PPP changed to P+K attack animation, 35/35 damage, -5 on block (from -13)
- 236K/PPK/BT PPK launch on NH and CH and juggles airborne targets (I still haven't
found out how to change wall-splat distance, so targets will still fly to the wall
if they are close enough)
- 236K damage lowered to 35 (from 45)
- BT PP given hitbox properties of PP
- PK/4K damage lowered to 25 (from 35), 0 on block (from -1), launch on counter-hit
- 1P causes a mini-launch on counter-hit and crouching counter-hit so it can combo
into 1PP, +5 on hit (from +4), damage increased to 15 (from 12)
- 1PP causes a mini-launch on counter-hit and crouching counter-hit so it can combo
into 1PPP, +5 on hit (from +4), damage increased to 15 (from 12)
- 1PPP is +5 on hit (from +4), damage reduced to 15 (from 18)
- K stuns on NH, counter-hit launches so it can combo into KK
- 6K/KK damage reduced to 35 (from 45), +7 on block (from -3)
- 3KK damage lowered to 30 (from 40), -11 on block (from -14)
- 3KKK/BT 8K are hold-resistant, damage lowered to 30 (from 45)
- 7K juggle heigh slightly increased (to make up for lowered 3P juggle height)
- 7KP/7PP/Jumping P+K damage reduced to 35 (from 50)
- F+K damage lowered to 32 (from 40)
- 2F+KK damage increased to 32 (from 30)
- 2_F+KK damage lowered to 25 (from 40)
- 2_F+KKK damage lowered to 25 (from 45)

THROW/HOLD CHANGES
- F+P damage lowered to 25+30 (from 30+30)
- Wall 6F+P.P damage lowered to 30+30+18 (from 30+30+25)
- 6F+P vs backturned damage lowered to 63 (from 70)
- 2F+P vs crouching damage lowered to 65 (from 70)
- 41236F+P damage lowered to 80 (from 90)
- 33F+P damage lowered to 90 (from 100)
- 33F+P below ceiling damage lowered to 100 (from 110)
- Hold damage lowered to 48 (DOA3 Grappler Hold Damage)
- Active frames of holds lowered to 18

MISC. CHANGES
- 2K down attack damage lowered to 12 (from 30)
- 8P+K down attack damage lowered to 22 (from 40)
- 8F+P+K down attack damage lowered to 30 (from 50)
- 646F+P+K/464F+P+K taunt changed to Miyama Season Change taunt (Did this one mostly
because I could. I'll change it back if people prefer the old taunt)
- New attack: 8P, uses PP animation with modified BT PP hitbox properties, 20 damage,
-8 on block, face-stun on NH and CH

I know the changelog makes it look like I nerfed him a lot, but rest assured that Tengu is still a good character. I've left his 7K and 8K unchanged, so he is still very hard to approach and still plays the same. I've really just made it so he doesn't get as crazy-high damage as he used to.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD