DOA5 and Sexualization: Too Much?

Has Team Ninja gone too far with DOA5 in regards to sexualization?

• Yes, completely. They really need to back off.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • Well, borderline. They should be careful.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • I dunno. Whatever.

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • Not really, no. They're good at the rate they're going.

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Not far enough, I say! Full speed ahead!!!

Votes: 20 11.4%

• Total voters

Sotherius

No those comparisons are poorly reasoned tbh, as well as being cosmetic. Tekken has fixed the shoulder issue and it's only been prominent in one game. EVERYONE in SF has larger hands, and tbh if that's a problem that keeps you from playing the game you may have a problem since there's alot of people irl and in videogames who have larger hands and broad shoulders

And it's not gameplay aspect vs Visual aspect, it's what each game is primarily known for, what you said are just minor complaints that don't affect anything. But still if you're embarrassed to play DOA maybe you should delete it and move on, they're not gonna change just so outside players from other games will go less hard on it. They've tried that in early DOA5 when they tried to dial back sex appeal and tried more tasteful DLC but when it(thank God since that was a silly idea imo..) didn't work they went back to how it was in the beginning. And people have to remember you're not forced to buy DLC, it always makes me cringe when people who don't buy the DLC make a stink complaining we have too much or when they say they're not gonna buy anymore and they @ TN on twitter like they're losing sleep just because one person out of a million other players(especially in japan) isn't buying anything.

Let me explain something to you.

DOA - Badass fighting game mechanically, with diverse cast having really awesome ninjas as the main characters.

Take out the fanservice, and you'll still have everything that makes DOA, DOA.

Now, the fanservice doesn't make the game worse, but removing what is good to keep the fanservice is the problem i have, and of course you don't have this problem, you don't care about the other aspects of the game, at all.

You're mocking people that actually want good things for the game, that want the franchise to be seen as the kickass fighting game that it actually is, but you preffer it being famous just as a sexy mod machine for people that download only to masturbate to right?

And like i said, the comparison i made is much fair because, the big hands in SF are a stylistic choice (one that i'm not against mind you), to make the limbs more visible, and the large shoulders on Tekken females are out of place, is not about them being large, is that they're out of place. And they are like that on tekken 5, tekken 6, tekken tag 2 and while they did solve some of the shoulders on tekken 7, some characters stll have it.

I'm not embarassed by playing doa, i've become a fan of the series in a short ammount of time, and i can live with the fanservice just fine, but DOA needs to focus more on the real game, the competitive aspect of it, or you want the community to die over the years or stay the same? Believe me, no one that plays this game for the boobs alone will ever learn the game and be part of the competitive community or any scene of the game, and this is probably around 90% of the 10 million downloads doa5 core fighters had, and this is just sad.

Argentus

but DOA needs to focus more on the real game, the competitive aspect of it,
eh.......

last time they did that we got DOA5 Vanilla, which was AWFUL. Everything just an empty box stage, no real aesthetic, not even a real arcade mode or anything. They were trying too hard to turn DOA into Tekken.

DOA6 should bring back the "stages" that actually full, multitiered environments, not just empty brown boxes, for example, as well as real arcade endings, boss fights, new character themes, sleek menus, etc etc.

Sotherius

eh.......

last time they did that we got DOA5 Vanilla, which was AWFUL. Everything just an empty box stage, no real aesthetic, not even a real arcade mode or anything. They were trying too hard to turn DOA into Tekken.

DOA6 should bring back the "stages" that actually full, multitiered environments, not just empty brown boxes, for example, as well as real arcade endings, boss fights, new character themes, sleek menus, etc etc.

God damn it, i'm trying to explain something here and you come up with something that has really nothing to do with it.

No, i'm not saying they should remake the game to be more competitive, i'm saying they should market the game for its awesome gameplay.

Like: "Look at how multi-tiered stages we have, you have stage hazards, danger zones, transitions, and you know the best part? This all counts towards gameplay, and our game is actually balanced and finished"

"look at our awesome triangle system, how it works, look why we are the coolest 3d fighting game in the market"

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Let me explain something to you.

DOA - Badass fighting game mechanically, with diverse cast having really awesome ninjas as the main characters.

Take out the fanservice, and you'll still have everything that makes DOA, DOA.

Now, the fanservice doesn't make the game worse, but removing what is good to keep the fanservice is the problem i have, and of course you don't have this problem, you don't care about the other aspects of the game, at all.

You're mocking people that actually want good things for the game, that want the franchise to be seen as the kickass fighting game that it actually is, but you preffer it being famous just as a sexy mod machine for people that download only to masturbate to right?

And like i said, the comparison i made is much fair because, the big hands in SF are a stylistic choice (one that i'm not against mind you), to make the limbs more visible, and the large shoulders on Tekken females are out of place, is not about them being large, is that they're out of place. And they are like that on tekken 5, tekken 6, tekken tag 2 and while they did solve some of the shoulders on tekken 7, some characters stll have it.

I'm not embarassed by playing doa, i've become a fan of the series in a short ammount of time, and i can live with the fanservice just fine, but DOA needs to focus more on the real game, the competitive aspect of it, or you want the community to die over the years or stay the same? Believe me, no one that plays this game for the boobs alone will ever learn the game and be part of the competitive community or any scene of the game, and this is probably around 90% of the 10 million downloads doa5 core fighters had, and this is just sad.
First off shut up about me not caring about the other aspects of the game "at all", you're making bullshit assumptions about me that you don't know, just like how someone called me "dumber than they thought" when they were the ones starting an argument with me and I defended myself. If I didn't fucking like the game for the gameplay I wouldn't have made THREE detailed character guides for the characters I main, I wouldn't have contributed to gameplay discussion threads and i WOULDN'T have helped you that one time in the DM when you asked for Kasumi tips, have your facts straight you don't know a damned thing about what I think, unless I explicitly said I see DOA as a fap simulator then you're completely, utterly and pathetically wrong about that. I like DOA for both the fanservice and gameplay, I ogle and will openly comment that the characters are attractive but I've never once explicitly stated here that they're merely for my sexual desires, that's another bullshit assumption you need to get in check. I'm really getting tired of you making shit assumptions about me that I've never said, it's annoying

DOA Is a sexy game and has great gameplay as well, end of story. TN isn't gonna change that. As long as Japan buys DLC and wants this stuff from them that's how it's gonna be. They're not gonna suddenly tone everything down just to sate players who are embarrassed by the game, don't like it, delete it, sorry. A game can have sex appeal and good gameplay, stop worrying about what others say about the game and the people who play it and just do you, you shouldn't give a fuck anyway. I'm not mocking, I'm just saying you should've known what you were getting into when you got into DOA, the sex appeal is a big part of the game and it's identity.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I will not tolerate you making false assumptions of what I do, the fact you think i "don't care" about the gameplay of DOA when I openly discuss gameplay and tech with people makes me sick and irritates me. Stop it, for once. Your negativity and you belittling why people play X3 as if fapping is the only thing they play it for also annoys me too

Last edited:

Sotherius

So why don't you agree that DOA can have its fair share of marketing in the gameplay side? Why you mock people that want the game to be viewed as a competitive fighter? If you like about the game, you would be worried about that as well, aren't you worried about the game being distreated as a the kickass fighting game that it is every day, more and more?

And are you blind? What part of "I don't mind the fanservice" you didn't read? I just want TN to put the effort into marketing the game as the Awesome FG that it is, i just want the community to grow, i just want to have people to play with. I don't care how sexy or not something is, i just care that a fighting game series that i love is not getting the love it deserves because there is a bad marketing team that only focus on showing boobs.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Stepping in and not trying to cause any drama.

@Sotherius

@KasumiLover69 and I speak to each other about the competitive aspects of DOA very often and even theorize on the subject of possible new mechanics for the next installment. Coincidently, he (and myself) still enjoy the aesthetic aspects of the game and there is nothing inherently wrong with that. Plus, Dead or Alive is not the only game that gets away with utilizing the sex appeal of their characters to advertise specific products on ocassion. For example, SFV (as finicky as that company is about the issue, not even talking aboit it's game play) "Hot Ryu" and Chun-Li's battle costume. And, TN has been delibrate in showcasing the basic game mechanics earlier on. The sexual aspects are considered a bonus for those who like that sort of thing and if players do have a problem with it, there are a number of ways dealing with the subject. And, for those who woupd be considered ignorant, it is important to educate them on how DOA actually works. There are more than a few videos and tutorials (very few from players who are known more so for playing other fighting games) to help players understand the inner workings of DOA.

Sotherius

Sorry, i went beyond my thoughts.

I'm just annoyed at the level of marketing that the fanservice side of DOA gets, and the lack of you know, marketing towards the gameplay it has, or the mechanics, or the roster that it has. I'm annoyed, because i live in a country with 300 million people and there is not more than 10 people playing DOA here, and i can never find a single one to play. I'm annoyed because TN can make really cool characters in a game, and make them completely lame in the doa xtreme series for some reason.

Anyways, if you guys say you actually like the game mechanically, i'll believe that, not going to question anymore.

werewolfgold

the sexiest thing tn/koei could do right now to boost their market is finally make gen fu fall off that slide.
I would buy two but TN clearly hates money.

Then ERADICATE it by deleting it from your storage in your Ps4/Xbox one. It's not that hard XD
Oh, don't worry. Your copy will be deleted next for giving me lip. lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD