DOA5 and Sexualization: Too Much?

Has Team Ninja gone too far with DOA5 in regards to sexualization?

• Yes, completely. They really need to back off.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • Well, borderline. They should be careful.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • I dunno. Whatever.

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • Not really, no. They're good at the rate they're going.

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Not far enough, I say! Full speed ahead!!!

Votes: 20 11.4%

• Total voters

Demoth

You pretty much still taking offense, I don't even know why you jumped in to begin with.

The rest of what you wrote really doesn't amount to much of anything, so I'll just respond to this point.

I'm still responding because I'm still willing to discuss this with others, as is the purpose of a forum. I'm not taking offense to anything, yet I'm also not letting you dictate to me when I can, or should, talk to people on the forums. I mean, you're free to tell me I shouldn't, but clearly I'm not going to listen, so I would not waste any more time responding to me if that's going to be all you have to offer.

Argentus

Clothing destruction better be optional. If I can't use the SK outfits without them exploding off anyway, then I'm not gonna bother paying for them.

Paige

upload_2015-2-12_20-13-20-png.8877

"oh this looks like a cool fighting game with some badass looking ninja"

upload_2015-2-12_20-13-28-png.8878

"is that a halo character? wow this game looks really interesting, i think i might buy it"

upload_2015-2-12_20-13-35-png.8879

"i swear this is a really good fighting game trust me don't mind the bikini just look past that pls i promise you wont be disappointed it's still a fighting game i swear no this isn't dead or alive xtreme it's the latest sequel pleaSE"

This seems more accurate, interestingly. Now Marie Rose and Honoka appear like the new face of DOA somehow (DOAX3, Musou Stars).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I can DOA 6 go two ways:

A) They've realized that shameless, slutty DOA brings them the most success and cash, so they will fully embrace that from the start. The announcement trailer will sure be something, lol. Marie Rose and Honoka will be front and center.

B) Like DOA5, they will be toning the sexualization of DOA6 down at first, marketing it as serious competition to Tekken 7, just that the girls of DOA will still be a lot prettier. On release there will of course be the obligatory bikini DLC ready, but just after a couple of months they go full on crazy with the fan service. They might even save up Honoka for DLC.

Now bring it on, Tokyo Game Show!

excited1.gif

Sotherius

They can just market the game as a kickass fighting game, keep true to their original main characters while at the same time marketing the fanservice and sexyness of the game, and marketing marie and honoka as their please.

A game can do both, and do well.

Jadeinchains

Oh hey I remember this thread. A lot of old threads being revived lately.

For doa6 I expect that they'll continue with fan service etc since It's worked very well for them with doa5, I'm fine with the fan service anyway so I don't mind. I just am super excited to see Doa6 whenever it is finally revealed, Hopefully at this TGS! X) And once it's revealed I'll be awaiting the reveal of Lisa in it! :D

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
They're not toning down anything XD people wanted fanservice in DOA5 and that's what we're getting, plus if Japan has anything to say about it revealing DLC will continue to be a thing as long as people keep buying it. And I doubt they'll make one of the most popular girls DLC, that would be foolish on their part

I'll be fine with DOA6 with graphics being a mix of Dissidia FF and Nioh and there actually being changes that make a difference. I'm also not opposed to showing the Halloween DLC too. Either way I say TN don't tone anything down, sex appeal is it's thing, DOA toning down the sexuality is like making a grilled cheese sandwich without the fucking cheese, it doesn't turn out right

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They can just market the game as a kickass fighting game, keep true to their original main characters while at the same time marketing the fanservice and sexyness of the game, and marketing marie and honoka as their please.

A game can do both, and do well.

Serious kickass fighting game + over the top sexualization ≠ the biggest possible audience.
There will be people that will be turned off by over the top sexualization and there will be people turned off by a too serious approach at a 3D fighting game, if you think we could have all at once in the game.
There will be many people immediately dismissing the game if Marie Rose and Honkas jump in micro bikinis over the trailer announcement screen, you can be very sure of that.

Option B would be the most sensible marketing wise...and it did work for DOA5, didn't it?

Last edited:

Sotherius

DOA 6 needs to bring the huge ammount of people wanting fighting games that this generation has made, and gather them into competitive doa players, DOA doesn't need more players that only buy the game to jerk off to the female cast.

Again, they don't need to tone down the sexuality, they just need to market the competitive side of DOA way more than it is being marketed right now, search for news about DOA on the internet (not here i might add), and all you'll find is the fanservice stuff, and not the competitive side of DOA.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I feel like they'll make it a repeat to DOA5 regarding sexuality. Tone it down only slightly for the Vanilla game(trust me, 5 Vanilla is less sexualised than 4), then rise the fanservice in their Ultimate game.
How was it toned down again? Only thing they did in my eyes was give the characters boring outfits in the vanilla version and released tame DLC and swimsuits but they went industry fetish DLC in Ultimate. I genuinely don't see any other ways they toned it down otherwise, they even had hidden swimwear for the two Christmas cakes and the dead latina and that OMG breast physic option >.> They made the game more realistic but I can't say it was genuinely tame, the girls were still bodacious and busty, they just covered up a bit more but the sweat and water and dirt and all the heavy breathing and facial expressions made the game way more sexualized than DOA4 in my eyes

5 Ultimate imo was when they just stopped being shady about the sex appeal and LR they went all out but relied on more copy paste and collabs and destructible outfits, as if some perverted 16 year old boy was in charge of the DLC and happened to be an anime fan and was running out of ideas

Tyaren

Standard Donor
DOA 6 needs to bring the huge ammount of people wanting fighting games that this generation has made, and gather them into competitive doa players, DOA doesn't need more players that only buy the game to jerk off to the female cast.

Again, they don't need to tone down the sexuality, they just need to market the competitive side of DOA way more than it is being marketed right now, search for news about DOA on the internet (not here i might add), and all you'll find is the fanservice stuff, and not the competitive side of DOA.

You realize you are contradicting yourself? Players, especially new ones, that want a serious fighting game and that want to give DOA6 a chance will be deterred by 13 year old girls prancing over their screen in micro bikinis.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
See nothing needs to get toned down, it just needs to get marketed better.

EDIT: Okay I lied. A LOT needs toning down if we want DOA to be taken seriously.

Jadeinchains

I don't know personally what would be the best approach to advertising the game but I feel like if they focus on marketing it's seriousness as a competitive fighting game. They could still have it be as out there and sexual as doa5lr is they could just focus the marketing mostly on the fighting like doa5's marketing did, Right? And It wouldn't need to tone down. And then when dlc came out that would be whatever dlc we might get. :D

they even had hidden swimwear for the two Christmas cakes

Maybe I'm naive but I have NEVER heard someone refer to someone as a "christmas cake" before?! XD.....................

and the dead latina

giphy.gif

Sotherius

You realize you are contradicting yourself? Players, especially new ones, that want a serious fighting game and that want to give DOA6 a chance will be deterred by 13 year old girls prancing over their screen in micro bikinis.

Huh? I don't get it.

Let me try to explain what i mean in a more clear way.

In the last 3 years, a new Blazblue, a new Guilty Gear, SFV, Tekken 7, KOF XIV, a new Mortal Kombat, a new Injustice were all released, and we are about to get a new Dragon Ball Z, a new Marvel vs Capcom, and whatnot.

Now, i'm not going into the merit of each game here being good or bad, but all those games have gained a lot of attention, the thing is, attention towards fighting games is big nowadays, way bigger than 2012, when vanilla version of DOA 5 was released. And the other thing is, besides the usual NRS focusing on marketing their graphics and violence, all those games, all of them try as hard to market themselves as really competitive fighting games, that players will want to get, learn it, and be good at it, do all those games have fanservice? For sure they do, but the marketing is not focused solely on that.

Now take Dead or Alive, the marketing on DOA as a fighting game is so bad, so bad, that every time i found something about it, it was not about gameplay, and i've been on and off fighting games since 2011, from websites, to trailers, there was always too few focusing on the gameplay aspects, but oh, let's talk about the new soft engine, or about the sexy characters.

The thing is, Dead or Alive delivers on the gameplay aspect, delivers it too well, DOA5LR is pretty well balanced, it has a varied roster, while it does have a FTP version that makes you buy characters, buying the retail game only will stop you from enjoying 2 characters as it is right now, all stages are free, the game has a complete training mode, the game has all singleplayer features a game needs, and the dlc is almost 100% cosmethics only.

So, in the end, i'm pretty sure, there are tons of people out there, that would LOVE playing DOA, serious competitive fighters, that would love to play DOA. and just don't ever get to try the game because all the marketing, all the news, all the popular videos about the series are focused on the sexyness, fanservice, and soft engine, and costume dlcs.

Do i think they should reduce the ammount of fanservice content? I'm not sure honestly, not for the man fighting games, the xtreme series could cease to exist for all i care.

Do i think they should have more effort marketing the actual gameplay? That is what i want.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I don't know personally what would be the best approach to advertising the game but I feel like if they focus on marketing it's seriousness as a competitive fighting game. They could still have it be as out there and sexual as doa5lr is they could just focus the marketing mostly on the fighting like doa5's marketing did, Right? And It wouldn't need to tone down. And then when dlc came out that would be whatever dlc we might get. :D

Maybe I'm naive but I have NEVER heard someone refer to someone as a "christmas cake" before?! XD.....................

giphy.gif
latest

But seriously tho those swimsuits were quite risque for a game claiming to tone down the fan service XD I can also bet you that their new outfits added to be unlocked in Ultimate were gonna be legacy DLC or DLC for those characters in Vanilla, that or they were gonna be bad game vanilla outfits but they scrapped them since they felt they were too revealing

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD