DOA5 E3 Version Q&A

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Tina is good for a few reasons, of course the general grappler buffs to throw breaks being one of them.

- Backdash is improved and can use 6f+k to easily punish whiffed wakeup kicks, resulting in a guaranteed ground throw followup.

- Safe as hell (but has always been)

- 8p 66k 33p is a completely safe, completely unholdable combo into a launcher. From there any number of things, including air throws, can happen. And this was just what I found within 5 minutes of playing her. She has better stuff I'm sure, because anyone with multiple sitdown stuns is gold.

- Access to very good throw punishment, both on block or from baiting counters.

- Access to very good offensive holds.

- Breasts are god tier.

- Still has a lot of probably unintended crush properties on many of her attacks.

TRI Mike

Good to know. I'm very interested in her, especially in case Team Ninja decides to leave Helena out. (I know they won't but I'll be paranoid about her and Lee till I see them).

Why would you play Bayman over Tina then¿ Is it for gameplay reasons¿

Blazeincarnated

Tina is good for a few reasons, of course the general grappler buffs to throw breaks being one of them.

- Backdash is improved and can use 6f+k to easily punish whiffed wakeup kicks, resulting in a guaranteed ground throw followup.

- Safe as hell (but has always been)

- 8p 66k 33p is a completely safe, completely unholdable combo into a launcher. From there any number of things, including air throws, can happen. And this was just what I found within 5 minutes of playing her. She has better stuff I'm sure, because anyone with multiple sitdown stuns is gold.

- Access to very good throw punishment, both on block or from baiting counters.

- Access to very good offensive holds.

- Breasts are god tier.

- Still has a lot of probably unintended crush properties on many of her attacks.
those breasts are very..... very... epic. lmao

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Good to know. I'm very interested in her, especially in case Team Ninja decides to leave Helena out. (I know they won't but I'll be paranoid about her and Lee till I see them).

Why would you play Bayman over Tina then¿ Is it for gameplay reasons¿

I'm not bound to Bayman permanently or anything. During the later portion of DOA 4's life I was using Leon quite a bit.

But the fact is, I can play Bayman better than anyone else so it is kind of expected from people that I do so. Everyone likes a good show so I'm happy to provide one when possible.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I've watched quite a few videos of the E3 build, but I haven't seen any forced teching. Is it still in the game?

It's there, but the ground properties are different now off of many attacks so people are going to have to re-learn their setups.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
^^ Two characters: Bass and Leon. I play Brad as my tertiary, but he's not a good character to begin with.

Allow me to give some insight into how things potentially work at this moment as far as combos go....

1p(sit down) 3k(sit down) 7p+k (cb) 33p (launch) 63214f+p (maximum height air throw).

I may be mistaken on if its 3k or not, but I do remember it was a relatively safe mid kick that caused it. Even so, you can see where im going with this. He's going to have that kind of pressure where you're actually worried about getting hit with a low as much as with a mid.

I think in time people will start using his strike juggle potential more as well, because like tina and bayman any strike he does that slams a person into the ground guarantees a ground throw followup which will let him maintain pressure.

His 8k was also the re-launcher kick from DOA 3.1 rather then big unsafe knee launcher from DOA 4. Also a sign of some good juggle potential coming from him.

As far as grabs go, he was altered a bit but didn't have as much as was shown in the rig trailer when I played him (his air toss from the fully charged OH was not available). I did notice his chargeup offensive hold received a rather beefy boost to its overall reach, and i was able to catch drdogg as he was trying to backdash away several times. And... lets see what can I say about his throws? He received the same boosts that all the grapplers did, so his multi-part throws are very viable now. It will be easier for him to connect them in their entirety, and even if its broken he is left at +5 and can continue fucking with people. Could even troll with a regular throw afterwards and, if you wanna be a dick, a great way to fuck with people who buffer throw escapes instead of doing them on reaction is to then mix it up with a high-counter launcher when you've got them conditioned.

I hope Matt won't mind me continuing on with this, because I'm curious. If need be, we can move this to PMs.

Do 1p and 3k cause this type of stun on normal or counter hit?

Is 7p+k a replacement for Mongolian chop (7p) or just a new addition? Is it chargeable and how fast is it without charge?

Also are you sure charged hcf grab launches or did they just put the animation in just for show? If that is the case then that is some really retarded juggle potential, even without the old 6pk.

By 8k do you mean the mid knee or the hop kick? Because that knee was there since 3, but I don't know how safe it was in 4.

I recall you and dogg mentioned something about guaranteed grab situations, though I don't know how many people other than me usually buffer grab escapes. How fast is a standard grab for grapplers again? 4f? 5f?

Overall, this makes me feel hopeful. Thanks, Rik.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I recall you and dogg mentioned something about guaranteed grab situations, though I don't know how many people other than me usually buffer grab escapes. How fast is a standard grab for grapplers again? 4f? 5f?

I can't help you with anything else, but I do know that grapplers have 4 frame throws.

DrDogg

It's a command grab that's guaranteed off of a guard break when close to a wall (as I recall). So it wouldn't matter if you buffered an escape or not.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
1p (as well as the third hit of pp2p) work on normal hit, but it is range dependent. If you are closer to point blank they will take a seat, if you are closer to max range they will sort of stumble back a bit. if it's a CH, they will take a seat either way.

3k (still not sure if its this move) seems to only do its magic either on CH, or when your opponent is already stunned.

I wasn't thinking about this at the time but if its using the same stun as DOA 4, a simple 2k would also trip an opponent on CH/inside of stun.

7p+k is his PB now.

Fully Charged OH launches, it just wasn't properly implemented in our build. Normally I would say that its suicidal to try and pull it off, but judging by the trailer it seems the max charge was sped up a bit from how it was before. Also of note is that the animation looks very similar to 7P+K which (should) cause a guard break/guard crush when fully charged... and of course, can potentially cause a power blow if they duck. so many people should be just as interested in attempting to "counter" your OH as they would be in trying to duck it. I think there will be some pretty fun games with that bullshit simply because of that visual deception.

8k is currently the hop kick from 3, as opposed to the knee from DOA 4. I don't believe the hop kick is even present in DOA 4 under any notation. Could be wrong.

Standard throw for grappler's is still 5f, but depending on the grappler they sometimes have as fast as a 6f unbreakable. There seems to be some guaranteed throw situations though... for example 236p gave enough frame advantage on block that bass could perform what i want to say would be anything up to 8 frames guaranteed. The catch is that despite the nice frame advantage, it also causes a bit of knockback which just exits his throw range normally... so in order to get that setup you'll need to back them up against a wall and scare them into blocking. I'd say its a good pressure tactic when you've got them on the ropes.

Quick note, I don't believe its actually classified as a guard break as a guard break wouldn't typically allow a throw afterwards... and the animation seemed much more awkward from what I'm remembering. It's difficult to describe exactly. Seemed like a unique guard stun if anything.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I can't help you with anything else, but I do know that grapplers have 4 frame throws.

Rikuto says it's 5f, but either way, it's fast enough.

It's a command grab that's guaranteed off of a guard break when close to a wall (as I recall). So it wouldn't matter if you buffered an escape or not.

Can the opponent low holds/slow escape to escape those kind of situations or is it completely guaranteed? If it's guaranteed, then that's pretty good.

1p (as well as the third hit of pp2p) work on normal hit, but it is range dependent. If you are closer to point blank they will take a seat, if you are closer to max range they will sort of stumble back a bit. if it's a CH, they will take a seat either way.

3k (still not sure if its this move) seems to only do its magic either on CH, or when your opponent is already stunned.

I wasn't thinking about this at the time but if its using the same stun as DOA 4, a simple 2k would also trip an opponent on CH/inside of stun.

7p+k is his PB now.

Fully Charged OH launches, it just wasn't properly implemented in our build. Normally I would say that its suicidal to try and pull it off, but judging by the trailer it seems the max charge was sped up a bit from how it was before. Also of note is that the animation looks very similar to 7P+K which (should) cause a guard break/guard crush when fully charged... and of course, can potentially cause a power blow if they duck. so many people should be just as interested in attempting to "counter" your OH as they would be in trying to duck it. I think there will be some pretty fun games with that bullshit simply because of that visual deception.

8k is currently the hop kick from 3, as opposed to the knee from DOA 4. I don't believe the hop kick is even present in DOA 4 under any notation. Could be wrong.

Standard throw for grappler's is still 5f, but depending on the grappler they sometimes have as fast as a 6f unbreakable. There seems to be some guaranteed throw situations though... for example 236p gave enough frame advantage on block that bass could perform what i want to say would be anything up to 8 frames guaranteed. The catch is that despite the nice frame advantage, it also causes a bit of knockback which just exits his throw range normally... so in order to get that setup you'll need to back them up against a wall and scare them into blocking. I'd say its a good pressure tactic when you've got them on the ropes.

Quick note, I don't believe its actually classified as a guard break as a guard break wouldn't typically allow a throw afterwards... and the animation seemed much more awkward from what I'm remembering. It's difficult to describe exactly. Seemed like a unique guard stun if anything.

Good to know 1p hasn't changed. Could mean that there's more chance of sit down in closed stance.

Same for 3K.

2K tripped since DOA2 vanilla (and probably ++). Glad it's not changed at least.

Actually, I was thinking the same the other day. The first time I saw the trailer I thought Bass was going straight for charged potemkin buster on a stunned opponent until I realized it's a CB from the hit effect. It could potentially be a good tool to mess with people when they start to panic.

9K was removed and replaced with a shitty high kick that caused knock down. This was also the case with 9_pk and 6pk and anything that had something to do with his meaty juggles in 3. He had the same 7/8k knee in 4 as in 3, so it seems like it was removed to prevent too much guessing between the mid knee and the mid buffalo horn.

I quite honestly think that the new 236P is a shit move that shouldn't be used under any circumstance, especially against fast characters, but if it does break guard, then it could only be slightly more useful than it used to be. If not, then I still think it's shit. If no big deal for me, because I can just play DOA2 Bass in a new engine.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Rikuto says it's 5f, but either way, it's fast enough.

I stand corrected. Did that change from the Alpha build? I seem to remember everyone saying that Hayabusa's throws came out one frame faster than everyone else's. Or do grapplers have 5 frame throws and regular characters have 6 frame throws?

Also, I'm sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, but do certain moves still have the ability to be charged like in DOA 4? For example, Tina's shoulder tackle (:4: :6: :P:). In older DOAs it just came out like a regular move, but in 4 it could be charged, which was annoying because it also slowed it down. With the introduction of power blows, did they just make everyone's "charge" move their PB?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
if drdogg is reading the frame data and it says 4f its 4f. i don't have a photographic memory, sadly.

And no, not everyones PB are existing charge moves. Just some.

DrDogg

Can the opponent low holds/slow escape to escape those kind of situations or is it completely guaranteed? If it's guaranteed, then that's pretty good.

You can't counter or slow escape out of a guard break. The throw was completely guaranteed so long as you were close enough to connect it.

I stand corrected. Did that change from the Alpha build? I seem to remember everyone saying that Hayabusa's throws came out one frame faster than everyone else's. Or do grapplers have 5 frame throws and regular characters have 6 frame throws?

Looking at the frame data I mined from the pre-E3 build, Tina's neutral throw is i4 and her fastest command throw is i6. I didn't look at frame data from the E3 build, so that could've changed, but I kind of doubt it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You can't counter or slow escape out of a guard break. The throw was completely guaranteed so long as you were close enough to connect it.

That's interesting, because in all previous DOAs you would not be able to throw someone who is in guard break animation. Even if you had a normal guarded attack that is +8 on guard you wouldn't be able to connect the throw; the throw would just go right through the opponent until the guard disadvantage was done.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD