DOA5 E3 Version Q&A

Arnell Long

Bayman. Best character so far.

So it's safe to say Bayman's got a lot of love thus far and Kasumi is the unsafest Ninja and is still one of the unsafest characters thus making her easily punishable. Hayate is shit compared to his former DOA3 and DOA4.0 counterpart. Ayane looks to not being much better leaving...

Hayabusa on the other hand...well...he's never going to be anything other than Top...

Although I do understand some people's gripes about the Ninjas, but look at the bright side, Team Ninja is giving the lesser characters meaningful options to deal with Ninja's shenanigans.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I'm interested to see how they implemented the Holds for the VF guys.

Also, I'm wondering if they gave them CROUCH THROWS since they don't have any in VF. Crouch throws are very important in DOA especially to punish low holds..

has anyone tested low throws for AKIRA?

FakeSypha

Awesomic, here's the Christie Exhibition. It shows the new guard break and her Power Blow so you can see both. It also shows her 9K launch on normal hit.

Now I notice her critical burst @ 0:44. It's her old :214::P: from DOA4. Not sure if that would be the actual input in DOA5, tho. Also, her throw from dukuja stance is now made from her rolling move too. Well, I don't know how to feel knowing her stance is pretty much gone as a stance per se. I was actually starting to understand how to buffer moves and spacing from dokuja (thanks Awesmic!).

Wow, It's like I missed all the stuff the first time I saw that vid :S

avi

Hayabusa's considered a grappler now so any universal buffs that would apply to grapplers he benefits from as well. No one other character has as many options as he does. I'm kind of sick of Hayabusa and the ninjas getting all the love. TN has 20 other characters that need the love.
:6::P:,:6::P::P: unsafe..:8::P: unsafe :K::K: unsafe the list goes on.. he has no striking ability.. his crushes don't go under mids and there all super unsafe..... all he has now is his ninpo stance witch before the E3 buffs was gimicky at best.. he has no 2 in 1's and no sit down stuns other then :214::P: witch is 20+ frames so slow and no tracking ... hitomi can walk at this man and straight up out strike him, do string unholdables, 2 in 1's and crush the shit out of his move list.. and bayman is supposed to be the best character? so theres 2 characters better then busa and some how there's no love?

FakeSypha

Also, I'm wondering if they gave them CROUCH THROWS since they don't have any in VF. Crouch throws are very important in DOA especially to punish low holds..

Oh that's true, most characters in VF5 don't have the ability to throw crouching opponents. Well, at least from the 3 guests going to be in DOA5, Pai is the only who has low throws in her native game.
I believe they'll just give them low throws in the transition to DOA5. It would be really odd if they don't...

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Bayman was so bad that the few buffs he got made him look viable. I think it's just people forget how good he could be. I honestly believe he's mid or high-mid, it's just his buffs make him look better than he is because now he's solid where he wasn't before.

Meanwhile, busa was so good that the few nerfs he recieved people cried foul because they're used to him having everything. As long as he has six ways to go into an izuna drop im going to complain. That or until Bass receives the TFBB from three normal holds and an air throw. Then you can start complaining to me about nerfs and overbuffing.

DrDogg

He's still gonna be like High Mid. Bayman's arguably better, so you can assume the other grapplers are going to be up there; Hitomi is better, so you can assume that Jann Lee will be up there, too.

Bayman being better than Hayabusa has nothing to do with his grappling abilities. >_>

Hayabusa definitely DOES NOT need a buff. If anything, he could get nerfed a bit and still beat out most of the cast.

I'm interested to see how they implemented the Holds for the VF guys.

VF characters have holds and low throws just like DOA characters.

:6::P:,:6::P::P: unsafe..:8::P: unsafe :K::K: unsafe the list goes on..

90% of the attacks in the game are unsafe. Kasumi and Zack are definitely way more unsafe than Busa, but most characters have an extremely small list of safe attacks. Busa's lack of safety does not make him worse than the other characters.

bayman is supposed to be the best character? so theres 2 characters better then busa and some how there's no love?

So Busa being number 3 out of 12 means everything is okay? I personally don't think Hitomi is better than Busa. I'd say they're about equal, and both top tier alongside Bayman. If Sarah doesn't get nerfed she'll join that top tier list. Either way, Busa does not need to be buffed. He's fine the way he is, and could easily get nerfed while still remaining better than half the cast.

Jefffcore

Assuming that's true, it still doesn't justify his complaint about no one getting any love.

Hitomi is absolutely better.

Bayman is better because of his damage and stuns, right? Other grapplers would have similar damage and stuns.

DrDogg

Assuming that's true, it still doesn't justify his complaint about no one getting any love.

Hitomi is absolutely better.

Bayman is better because of his damage and stuns, right? Other grapplers would have similar damage and stuns.

You haven't played anything other than the Alpha demo right? So there's no need to "assume" anything I say is true. It is, unless I say otherwise (and of course is subject to change in later builds).

Where Hitomi is lacking, Busa excels. Where Busa is lacking, Hitomi excels. I think they're about the same.

Bayman is better because he ignores the DOA4 stun system better than any other character. Hitomi can do the same thing to a lesser extent, but you wouldn't know about that because it was rarely seen on stream. Vanessa and Mamba didn't have enough time to really use her DOA5 abilities and instead stuck with her Alpha build and DOA4 strats.

Thats fucking awesome.

Hell that means we might acctually be getting a bit more tools than what they have in VF.
This is music to my ears! :D

His frame data still needs some adjusting. Right now he's far too unsafe. However, when I spoke to Shimbori about this, he seemed very willing to adjust Akira's frame data accordingly.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Tina could very well be at Bayman's level tbh. With 8p and 66k that girl can chain multiple sitdown stuns into a launch. Of course her opponent can opt to slow escape which starts a defensive post-SE metagame where the defender's logical options are incredibly limited due to input buffering being all over the place after mashing like a madman.

just_me

Standard Donor
I guess I'll try again:
Are Sabakis still vulnerable to Throws during their "deflect frames"?
Are there Sabakis that deflect other attacks than Highs?
Did they introduce Attack Classes like in VF?

The Slow/Stagger Escape implementation has not changed at all, has it? (it really, really should imo)

If you Hold :h: and press e.g. :P:, do you still attack?

Any changes to damagescaling?

TRI Mike

Some VF characters have low throws. I use them all the time with Aoi and Blaze.

EDIT: When are we getting more character reveals¿

avi

Bayman being better than Hayabusa has nothing to do with his grappling abilities. >_>

Hayabusa definitely DOES NOT need a buff. If anything, he could get nerfed a bit and still beat out most of the cast.

90% of the attacks in the game are unsafe. Kasumi and Zack are definitely way more unsafe than Busa, but most characters have an extremely small list of safe attacks. Busa's lack of safety does not make him worse than the other characters.

So Busa being number 3 out of 12 means everything is okay? I personally don't think Hitomi is better than Busa. I'd say they're about equal, and both top tier alongside Bayman. If Sarah doesn't get nerfed she'll join that top tier list. Either way, Busa does not need to be buffed. He's fine the way he is, and could easily get nerfed while still remaining better than half the cast.

i was simply tryna show that not only have his best pokes been nurfed by speed and recovery, his overall striking pails in comparison to hitomi's.... yes zack and kasumi are more unsafe.. they also have a plethora of moves faster then 11 and 13 frames (busas fastest moves) giving them the edge in striking.. busa excels with his holds and throws he got love there. rather then complaining and screaming for nurfs, wouldn't you rather just buff all the other characters to match his capability's?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I guess I'll try again:
Did they introduce Attack Classes like in VF?

The Slow/Stagger Escape implementation has not changed at all, has it? (it really, really should imo)

If you Hold :h: and press e.g. :P:, do you still attack?

Any changes to damagescaling?

1. Didn't really test anti-sabaki applications, sorry. As far as Sabaki's go, all I can say is that Leifang has a ton of them now. Sabaki and Parry applications seem to be really wonky too, with mid parries also working against certain highs.... and not against certain mids. It's pretty strange right now, and the movelist descriptions are not at all accurate to what some things actually do. Almost as if they have been changing their minds and not updating the descriptions, one could say.

It's something worth testing more extensively next time around, but I'm sure you can understand how our primary focus was on figuring out the new system mechanics rather than individual character mechanics as that was what was going to make or break the game for most people. Since only a couple characters really have sabaki's, that sorta fell through the cracks.

2. If there is any attack classes flagged in the system, nothing is making it obvious to me. But there are definitely moves that track and moves that don't, and each are listed under move detail. I already know you can get behind people easier depending on which direction their back is turned, so whether it is intentional or not, attacks do have their own specific hitbox properties as far as tracking is concerned.

Then again, we have the issue of certain things deciding to be parried, and certain things not.... so maybe there is. I have no way of knowing without a boatload of testing.

3. SE still works the same way it always has, although its somewhere inbetween DOA2U difficulty and DOA 4 difficulty.

4. Hard to tell how damage scaling has changed without sparring mode.... but big damage is possible either way. Was whipping out the 50% combos with no noticeable loss.

What are the in-puts for Sarah's PB and CB?

Hell if I remember lol. We had like 10-15 minutes to figure stuff out, and we were primarily interested in determining what was possible with her. We determined what was possible... and that she has terrifying options even when she completely ignores PB/CB.

DrDogg

What are the in-puts for Sarah's PB and CB?

We had a grand total of about 10 minutes with Sarah, so I can't answer either of those questions. Her CB was fast though. It seemed to be a mid-hitting kick, but that's about all I can tell you.

rather then complaining and screaming for nurfs, wouldn't you rather just buff all the other characters to match his capability's?

Please quote me "complaining and screaming for nerfs" then we can talk.

Yes and yes.

Arnell Long

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/06/dead-or-alive-5-brings-back-tag-matches-cuts-doa-4s-online-lob/

Friendships have been ruined over Dead or Alive – we'll never forgive you, Frank – but now you and Billy don't even need to consider fighting each other in Dead or Alive 5. Tag matches return, allowing two folks to go up against two other folks in a contest of might, both locally and online.

And speaking of online stuff, Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi confirmed with Joystiq that the interactive lobbies seen in Dead or Alive 4 would not return in Dead or Alive 5. The reasoning behind omitting the interactive lobbies in Dead or Alive 5 is so that Team Ninja can provide the best, most stable online experience possible. Sure, that's all well and good, but ice-skating crabs.

This is good news considering people just sat in Lobbies doing absolutely nothing. So I have a question about the current list of characters: "Since DOA5's gravity is different from previous installments, "with various stun states in mind" how are the weight classes affected, is their juggle state more strict or less strict than DOA4."

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Juggle weight is also a matter of hitboxes being decreased. Tough to gauge without deep testing I'm sure the demo didn't provide.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD