DOA5 single player/casual thread

Gill Hustle

Okay we've got competitive play up the wazoo going on around here ;). So I'm wondering gang, what can we do to help Team Ninja pimp out DOA5 for the single player/casual experience?

I've got my ideas but am busy atm, so lets get some ideas down and I'll add to it in a bit.

:ayane:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Before I share anything... will you guys promise to lay off the DOAW/TKP jokes?

DrDogg

Before I share anything... will you guys promise to lay off the DOAW/TKP jokes?

The fact that you classified DOAW and TKP together is a joke in itself.

That said, why would you even bring this up? It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread and makes no reference to any of the posts in this thread. It's almost like you're going out of your way to derail the thread and draw negative attention to yourself.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I would like the following for the online experience:
- Tournament mode
- Team battle mode
- Online survival mode
- local tag vs online players!!

I would like the following for single player:
- Time attack (single and tag)
- Survival ( single and tag ) with all the vegetables and trinkets that come out. Would be awesome to have a directory for them like in DOA2 U

COSTUMES COSTUMES COSTUMES ... I want them to whore out this game with them ... even if we have to pay for future expansions .. I wouldnt want just the one or 2 DLC in the first few months ... Maybe even free ones if they were kind enough.

A replay channel (sf4 style ). Great for chillaxing and watching while eating something and great for discussing matches and taking tips.

Making the tutorual factor in story mode not interfere with the acctual fun factor of the game. (basicly having the option to disable tutorials) .

Making sure Every character is used in story mode equally ... (no bullshit like SCV where you get nothing but the siblings)

DLC STAGES !!!! would love to see some future expansion like that ...

EIN, TENGU, RAIDOU ! (alpha and genra can buzz off)

MORE VF LOVE!! ... Honestly the more I play VF the more I want its characters to cross over to DOA .. even if its DLC ..

OLD SOUNDTRACKS !!!

a Quick character select interface like the one in VF5FS, where you simply press start and select by name and costume.

A FUCKING KICK BUTTON to get rid of all the trolls, laggers and people that talk too much on mic.
A MUTE OPTION similar to the one in sf4 ... that option is like a blessing from God.

having these options would be awesome.
most of them are not hard to do IMO ... they can pull it off!

LondonLust

The one thing I want is an online training mode with something that counts frame data. That would be REALLY helpful.

Oh, but I also want a crapload of costumes, traditional fighting game lobbies, a better netcode and a story that focuses on everyone instead of the ninjas.

Gill Hustle

Damn this is getting good LOL.

- Hmm, for me I wouldn't mind the old character specific costume/soundtrack unlocks.

- Oooh maybe a way to use DOA1-DOA4 player models!

- Character specific intros/win quotes

- Replays on and offline should be a given but just in case.

- Maybe a 1st person mode like waaaay back in Tekken 2 on PSOne.

Lobo

COSTUMES COSTUMES COSTUMES ... I want them to whore out this game with them ... even if we have to pay for future expansions .. I wouldnt want just the one or 2 DLC in the first few months ... Maybe even free ones if they were kind enough.
This. But have to do a lot to unlock them all. I really liked DOAU costumes and the survival mode you had to go through to get them all. So something like that I think would motivate casual players to play modes besides just story and vs. modes.

Also, kick option would be nice, but then you would have to think about who to give the kick option. The original host or the champion. Either way they could abuse it, with the original host kicking anyone who beats him, and the champion just being a dick and ruining a room. Guess thats the case with any game with lobbies though. Just makes a bigger case to stay in rooms with friends.

I think an unranked option would be amazing. I knew there were a lot of times I wanted to play with friends lower ranked then me, but then would get annoyed whenever I dropped rank because I would lose either legit, or just trying to teach him.

PhoenixVFIRE

ONLINE...TRAINING/SPARRING...MODE

oh and more costumes and stages out the WAZOO.

and a MK9 style of storymode would be nice.

annnnnd I'm done.... :D

Echo01

A story mode that looks as though actual effort was put into it. MK9 puts everything on the market to shame right now, and Netherealm's Injustice is being promised to have an even bigger, richer story mode. As much as "who cares for story in FGs herpie derpie" there's no reason to be sinfully lazy and shove an utterly mind-boggling mish-mash into the game and label it 'Story mode'. I just hope TN realises casual players are the ones making the bulk of sales, and caters to them accordingly as and where they can.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
A proper tutorial. The game needs to look to Skullgirls (for teaching fundamentals) and VF (for teaching characters).

If its anything like the older DOAs then hopefully it should have a command tutorial like VF.

As for a fundimentals tutorial. I agree, theres alot to learn in this game despite it being considerd relatively simple.
I would still love to make something bigger and better for the final build (already have a few Ideas off the top of my head where I could improve upon my alpha tutorial ) :D

Kronin

Finally a thread where I can be 100% competent on the argument XD

Jokes aside, I can say that the two main aspects more requested by casual players are surely:

- A Good Story with the full roster of characters involved: I loved the Chronicle Mode in Doa Dimensions, according to me the story work and can be told better that in the old way choosing separate characters. I loved also the effort of TN to make the story more coherent and comprensible, also if I think that there is also an ample room for improvements. The scene of the speech between Ayane and her mother was the highest point of the chronicle mode imo, I hope that also in Doa5 there will be space for moments in the story more serious and 'emotional' like that. And off course I hope that the story will continue to focus on the cliffhangers of DoaD (the identity of Victor Donovan, and the possibile return to home of Kasumi)

But leaving apart the question about the story itself, the thing that TN must absolutely change from the chronicle mode of DOAD if don't want discontent the majority of the 'casual players' is the number of characters playable in story mode. Surely the main characters will be always the main focus of the story, but It's necessary that also the secondary characters are not left out by the story mode (in Doa Dimensions all their little stories, was almost completely forgotten) and overall that they have such importance to have a little mini arc for them (dont' give them always the same stories, fans want an evolution also for them, something more that see always Lei-Fang fight just to beat JannLee, or Tina with a new fixation) and that are all playable in the story.

The story mode of Mortal Kombat 9 is perfect to understand like a story mode for a fighting game can be entertaining and don't forget any character of the roster.

- Ton of Costumes: this is surely the thing that every casual player requires since the time of the abundance of the DOA2U vestiary for the characters. In Doa4 and DoaD the expectations for a similar number of outfits have not been satisfied, and also for Doa5 the wish of the fans is always the same. More, also if there are old outfits really loved by the fanbase that they would like to use (and I must say that TN brought back some those old glories in DOAD and also in the E3 build of Doa5), many fans ask for new costumes. Also through DLC, I realy hope that TN satisfies this request.

Other things that would be much appreciated (some also by who love just the fighting aspect of the game) are:

-Sonia/Irene and all the cast of Dimensions -included Shiden- returning on DOA5! (also through DLC)!!
Well this is overall a BIG desire of mine, I admit, but it's true that many people desire can play again with Ein, Tengu, Raidou, and a different character but with the same moveset of Doa4's Spartan. Team Ninja please!!

-Old stages retunring (also through DLC)

-Old tracks returning (also through DLC)

-The possibility to play Online in a friendly mode without ranking involved (so without gain or loss of points)

-Also without a lobby, the possibility to chat or to play against the same opponent (thing impossibile in Doa Dimensions if I'm not wrong)

Like EMPEROR_COW said:

I would like the following for the online experience:
- Tournament mode
- Team battle mode
- Online survival mode
- local tag vs online players!!

Like Gill Hustle said:

- Character specific intros/win quotes: I really loved that aspect of the game, it gave a nice extra touch to the personality of the characters.

- Would be really nice a way to use DOA1-DOA4 player models (anime style)! anyway I know that it's something of almost impossible.

Gill Hustle

I said the old models ala vf4 which let people who earned enough points use them. Now that I think about it another option could be the doa4 models for people who want the anime look back. Could be a sweet bonus for people who have tn game saves or a special unlock.

KwonJigglypuff

YEAH ! Like you, I agree : Ton of costumes, epic story mode, gallery with the old themes, a showcase like in DOAD, etc.

I would like to see a real Watch Mode, with many options (slow mo, colors/b&w filters, music, etc.)

WAZAAAAA

lol @ Wah

A story mode that actually makes sense (which is rare in fighting games), not too centered on ninjas
A good replay function for every possible match with toggleable inputs and framedata huds
An online PC version of the game HAH

Arnell Long

Single player:

- Command Training- A complete run through each move, one-by-one.

- Free Training- Basic standard of training where you're free to do as please.

- Trial Mode- A st of beginner/intermediate/expert situations for the player to overcome.

- Comprehensive Story mode akin to Mortal Kombat where each character gets their fair share of limelight.

- The traditional "Survival, Battle, Arcade, etc" type modes.

- DLC "inevitable"

- Since no customizable options aren't making the cut, allow us different hairstyles for "all" the woman sorta like in DOA4. Also have it to where we can add/remove a particular item on an outfit such as a Hats, Glasses, Bows, and stuff of that nature.

- Since we won't be getting many new outfits "6 for most" according to Team Ninja, a costume swap option "swapping amongst genders" would be ideal but this is more so wishful thinking.

-Greg: "Character specific quotes."

Multiplayer:

- Netcode dominant or on par with SCV like DrDogg stated.

- Player match for casual play.

- Ranked for competitive play.

- Saved replays akin to SFIV where it shows the players inputs also with added frame data.

- Online Sparring "with a friend" Singles & Tag.

- Traditional Lobbies

- Ability to kick players "although it will be abused by lesser players losing to better ones."

- Updated Singles Tournament ala DOA4 but with Tag also added to the mix.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
The fact that you classified DOAW and TKP together is a joke in itself.

That said, why would you even bring this up?
Well, DrDogg, it's simple. I wasn't sure how people would take an idea of implementing a volleyball mini-game (and strictly volleyball) with an actual purpose in the game, such as an alternative method of unlocking even more specific extra content.

Before anyone goes off on me though, hear me out. Going by history, we know the DOAX games didn't sell well as a standalone game. Hell, the latter two related games did much worse than the original. Some people had this idea that the DOAX games would serve as some kind of booster disc for the fighting game installments during the Xbox era, but that never came to fruition.

So I thought, instead of giving in to the particular demands for a DOAX3 and seeing another flop waiting to happen, why not just mesh in the core volleyball portion of that game with DOA5 and give it a purpose for the casual gamer if we're getting sexy costumes as DLC in the process? That way, the DOAX fans won't be left entirely in the cold, and in turn, have an incentive to get to know and play what should matter - the fighting game - if they hadn't already. I mean, it's a start. Not to mention, it could sell better.

Whether people wanna accept that or not, sex appeal has always been one of DOA's strengths, and there are still particular fans of DOAX out there. Knowing casuals, they like unlocking stuff. After all, Tekken 3 got away with a sports mini-game on home consoles just fine, and look how well that did! MK9 had its share of trivial mini-games as well (Test Your Might, Test Your Sight, etc.) to change things up for the casual gamer, and it was a huge success. If anything, the idea of a volleyball mini-game would appease the casual crowd (and those looking for the DOAX itch) even easier. I would only consider it though, if it doesn't interfere with better priority content on the disc. Otherwise, that'll have to be DLC... even sweeter a deal if it's free DLC.

So now you know why I was hesitant to share my idea. Laughable and stupid to you guys, I know, but the fact of the matter is this is a casual thread, it was posted here, and I didn't know how awkward my idea would sound. I'm just being open-minded to those who know about DOAX, but not the fighting games too well. Of course, the fighting game itself will remain its own playground for competitive gamers.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD