DOA5: The Show: Lei Fang vs. Zack trailer

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Well, that's because you don't understand the grief they cause.

It's situational. Some dangerzones were too stupid for words like doatec germany having electrified ceilings, floors, and walls. Just one throw from Tengu/Genfu, or an Izuna could pretty much end you. Then there are ones such as the moving ones.... they didn't add anything strategic, just random bullshit that interfered with legitimate competition.

Static danger zones that don't completely favor one small set of characters in a drastic way are great though. Strategy can be formed around those, and they add to the game. The others don't.

i totally agree ..
but i just dont see that in the doa5 dangerzones ..
even the tigers seem to be triggered by a voice/light notice ... as what the guys are saying ...

and it seems they're reducing the emphasis of the ceiling dangerzones .. (like the crane in the demo ... it hardly does any damage) ...
but they exploding dangerzones / the fences / the cliffhangers / slopes / water and ice effects .. i think all characters can benefit from it

in the end we just have to wait and see ..

but i personally think dangerzones like that add flavor to the game ... rather than just a boring square stage ...
but i do like the option of both

Einzelkind

But judging from the trailer the tigers aren't completely random like the cheetah and the dino were. The line on the floor indicates their path a few seconds before they start running so you have enough time to position yourself or to try to set up your enemy for some tiger love (in my opinion this is a good way of making the environment a more important aspect of the game; positioning yourself correctly becomes more important and if successful, you get guaranteed damage off of it). The lines also prevent surprise crashes like in DOA4's Vegas stage from happening and the tigers seem to move a lot slower anyway (their hitboxes also seemed smaller). If they work like that, I think they're gonna be fine. If not you can still turn them off.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Which is why I have less issue with the tigers... but I still think they are stupid simply on the basis that the only purpose they serve is to slow down the fighting while folks re-align themselves.

DrDogg

A moving danger zone like the tiger is not good for a competitive fighting game, random or not. I'm okay with water and all of that because it's stationary.

I'm also still very much against the massive shaking in the demo stage. It's to the point now where I avoid it at all costs. And changing the camera doesn't stop the shaking.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I have to say I must agree. We do not need any elements in the game we the player cannot control.

PhoenixVFIRE

I made a tiny video showing the Power Blows thus far just for fun. I put it in the General DoA Media Videos....or you can watch it here :p lol Enjoy(Yes I know I have terrible video editing skills LOL)

Lexmark2

Pretty much this.

It's supposed to be a competitive fighting game, not some chips & dip mario party bullshit.

Flashy stuff and explosions are cool. Shaking cameras and retarded cheetahs/dinosaurs that rape you from offscreen are not.
Isn't this the same thing people say for smash bros and yet they are both competitive light fighters? Meaning that they were made for casuals first hardcore players second,but can be made competitive if players want to take it that way(also didn't both the smash and doa developers not like the competitive community all that much)I thinks that's why the smash community use no items and one stage which if people really wanted to be more competitive they would pick a tag stage for DOA which some people usually did online when I first played doa4.

Somehow I just get that the DOA players run into the same problem the smash community does forgetting the original game target and knowing the game was made for casuals. This isn't a knock to DOA or anything just that people seem to get mad when either series was never really meant to be a streetfighter. That said I hate dangerzones and dislike most smash stages that aren't stationary(except when playing with family) but what can you do when you know the causal players top the competitive players.

DrDogg

Team Ninja wants DOA5 to be competitive. That's why we're seeing the changes from DOA4 to the Alpha demo to the upcoming E3 build.

Also, to make Smash competitive you essentially have to turn everything off and limit it to 1v1 or 2v2. That completely changes the default rule set of the game and makes it into a totally different game. For DOA all you have to do is turn off danger zones. Big difference there.

And to be fair, Street Fighter was originally meant for the casual audience... just about all fighting games were originally. That's also where their main sales come from.

DyByHands

Cool vid PhoenixVFIRE!
I am not a fan of the moving dangerzones either, but I do like them when playing around with my friends. But, if it gets serious, we don't play those stages. The Show's Circus stage will be one of those stages.

I'm still curious to what is after the raft with Kasumi vs Akira. That trailer was a cliffhanger.

HokutoNoBen

Also, to make Smash competitive you essentially have to turn everything off and limit it to 1v1 or 2v2.

This is true, but there are a few extra caveats that are worth mentioning.

Even the Smash Bros. competitive scene, in efforts to streamline the game for the sake of competitive play, still utilizes some stages that have "random" elements.

Some examples:

Yoshi's Story - A stage that has a platform that appears on a timed interval, which can make all the difference for a player trying to make his/her way back to the field of play.

Dreamland 64 - A stage where a background object will blow "wind" at timed intervals, which can be a hazard for a player returning to the field, and even the one who might be trying to mount a defensive measure for the returning player.

And these are stages that are dubbed "Neutral" (stages that set within a Melee tournament's random select), no less, right alongside Final Destination and Battlefield.

For those who are so interested, you can find what I believe is the most up to date version of the rule-list here: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8981808&postcount=1

But all that to say? In the end, that game's competitive scene were the ones who determined what was "fair" and what wasn't, after many, MANY years' worth of testing, trial & error and etc. I'm perfectly sure the DOA scene can do likewise for its own game, assuming a) DOA5 is good, and b) there is a concentrated effort to arrive at a ruleset that works for everyone on the competitive level.

Lexmark2

Team Ninja wants DOA5 to be competitive. That's why we're seeing the changes from DOA4 to the Alpha demo to the upcoming E3 build.

Also, to make Smash competitive you essentially have to turn everything off and limit it to 1v1 or 2v2. That completely changes the default rule set of the game and makes it into a totally different game. For DOA all you have to do is turn off danger zones. Big difference there.

And to be fair, Street Fighter was originally meant for the casual audience... just about all fighting games were originally. That's also where their main sales come from.
True though I think that most all games back then at their start were meant to be casual. They want the game to be competitive but I guess they still want the levels to stand out from past DOA games all while being competitive. Well it is what it is I guess, we'll see how this turns out in the coming months.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Shiiiiit, I hope so. She is doa's mascot. She cant be beat up in her own game! I hope she teleport juggle his ass into a tree lol.

BlackOrochi

Couldn't read all the comments, there were so many...

But did anyone notice how the physics were so off when Zack bumps into that tiger?? He flies into the air as if bumped by a freakin car + the tiger doesn't even flinch!

I'm not against tigers nor the stage, I think their cool in their own way. But if art direction goes for cinematic realism, they still got time to do it right...

Doug Nguyen

But did anyone notice how the physics were so off when Zack bumps into that tiger?? He flies into the air as if bumped by a freakin car + the tiger doesn't even flinch!

I'm not against tigers nor the stage, I think their cool in their own way. But if art direction goes for cinematic realism, they still got time to do it right...

Yeah its weird but thats the way it was in DOA4 so i guess they might keep it that way. Same with getting hit into a fence you kinda go flying high over it in DOA4, but in the Bayman and christie trailer, when Christie hit Bayman over the wall, it seemed toned down.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yeah its weird but thats the way it was in DOA4 so i guess they might keep it that way. Same with getting hit into a fence you kinda go flying high over it in DOA4, but in the Bayman and christie trailer, when Christie hit Bayman over the wall, it seemed toned down.

I think it's also a throwback to DOA1's danger zones where you popped extremely high into the air if your character was finished off by or landed after death on the danger zone.

PhoenixVFIRE

I think it's also a throwback to DOA1's danger zones where you popped extremely high into the air if your character was finished off by or landed after death on the danger zone.
Before we saw the trailer I thought we might've gotten a trampoline part of the Show stage for a DOA1 dangerzone reference.

Doug Nguyen

Oh yeah i never played DOA1. But i have no problem with the exageratedness to it. Never bothered me in DOA4. But since there going for a more realistic feel maybe tweeking it a bit might help them.

Lexmark2

Like others have said I think that's just a part of DOA.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD