doa5u impressions thread

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
That's not why she takes half an hour to learn. She just has such an easy game plan. You don't even need matchup data (most of that 30 minutes) if you somehow get in every round. There's maybe 10 sequences of moves that she needs, not including the neutral game (matchup specific ways of getting in).

d3v

I'm going to borrow from what (EVO2011 MvC3 Champ) Jay "Viscant" Snyder has said. If a game is important enough to you that winning in it matters, pick the best character.

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm going to borrow from what (EVO2011 MvC3 Champ) Jay "Viscant" Snyder has said. If a game is important enough to you that winning in it matters, pick the best character.
You prefer the rules of the game to be as fair and balanced as possible. The more lopsided they are, the less important the victory becomes. It's not as reputable.

Unless the only thing that matters is the prize money itself in which case there are (shockingly) easier ways to make money than winning fighting game tournaments.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Don't bother arguing with d3v. It's not worth it. He'll probably throw out a quote about 3S being super imbalanced and still having tourneys.

d3v

But if you enjoy the underlying game system enough, then character choice becomes secondary.

And it's not just about the money (though a good number of us are actually working so that playing fighting games will eventually be worth the money), it's about competition and being competitive. Pushing the meta-game by using powerful tech and forcing people to level up and develop their own powerful tech.

Brute

Standard Donor
But if you enjoy the underlying game system enough, then character choice becomes secondary
I must disagree. I actually physically do not like this game when I am playing as Zack. If I had the choice to play this game using only Zack or not to play at all, there would be no question I would choose the latter. The character you are being drastically affects how you play the game. What your approach is, how technical and precise you are and yes, even how much fun you have. I do not enjoy the game as certain characters because the way the "underlying game system" manifests in their approach is unappealing. It essentially feels like a different game.

And it's not just about the money (though a good number of us are actually working so that playing fighting games will eventually be worth the money), it's about competition and being competitive. Pushing the meta-game by using powerful tech and forcing people to level up and develop their own powerful tech.
Lopsidedness hardly feels competitive. Like I said earlier: "You prefer the rules of the game to be as fair and balanced as possible. The more lopsided they are, the less important the victory becomes. It's not as reputable."

d3v

Because, unless your game is as shallow as a puddle, then the players should still matter over character selection.

Brute

Standard Donor
Because, unless your game is as shallow as a puddle, then the players should still matter over character selection.
Hence why players will still pick their favorite characters despite a lopsided/imbalanced roster.

Doesn't make it a good thing.

d3v

Hence why players will still pick their favorite characters despite a lopsided/imbalanced roster.

Doesn't make it a good thing.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't play smart and increase your chances of winning.

Also, the fact that "favorite characters" exists may actually be incompatible with balance since it implies character variety. Character variety naturally fosters imbalance. The only way to have a truly balanced cast is to have everyone have the same moves and properties (i.e. be Karate Champ but with palette swaps). As long as characters have different moves and properties, some will always be better than the others. If you enjoy the game enough, you might as well stack the odds in your favor.

Brute

Standard Donor
That doesn't mean you shouldn't play smart and increase your chances of winning.
Winning means less with an imbalanced roster, and you don't care as much about the game if you're playing it with a character you despise. We literally just went over this. Going in circles.

Also, the fact that "favorite characters" exists may actually be incompatible with balance since it implies character variety. Character variety naturally fosters imbalance. The only way to have a truly balanced cast is to have everyone have the same moves and properties (i.e. be Karate Champ but with palette swaps). As long as characters have different moves and properties, some will always be better than the others
"Balanced" does not require an entirely equal playing field. For example, there is a way to make a fair and varied roster without some bullshit like Akuma. You can emphasize diversity without shitting on it. As I understand it, VF is much this way (though I have not played it myself).
Nothing will ever be entirely balanced. That doesn't mean you should just disregard the concept.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Hey if you want to teir whore go right ahead, I've put to much work into Bayman to drop him for someone easier. i play to rep the Russian back breaker and winning just happens help with that, swapping characters doesn't .

MasterHavik

I must disagree. I actually physically do not like this game when I am playing as Zack. If I had the choice to play this game using only Zack or not to play at all, there would be no question I would choose the latter. The character you are being drastically affects how you play the game. What your approach is, how technical and precise you are and yes, even how much fun you have. I do not enjoy the game as certain characters because the way the "underlying game system" manifests in their approach is unappealing. It essentially feels like a different game.
That makes me sad you don't enjoy playing the game with Zack. You make a good point though. You wanna have fun and you don't want to play someone that makes you unhappy. As one of my mentors once said," Do what makes you happy."

Blazeincarnated

Why did you have to use Zack as an example? You've could've picked any one of those other lame characters.... -__-

Brute

Standard Donor
Why did you have to use Zack as an example? You've could've picked any one of those other lame characters.... -__-
He just happens to be my least favorite character to play as. Nothing personal.

Sarah and Alpha come right after.

MasterHavik

He just happens to be my least favorite character to play as. Nothing personal.

Sarah and Alpha come right after.
That's fair. No one ain't gonna blow you up for it.

You have Master Havik to thank for that in his endless crusade of ninja-bashing. And since Brute was a victim, he's naturally gonna give no fucks about Zack in kind. In a sense, this is him returning the favor.
Someone didn't read my post a few minutes it seems.

DR2K

Rachel isn't even top 10 in this game. Way too many bad match ups and flaws. She's a good character, but lives on her ft and throw game.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
StrikerSashi said:
There are less unholdable stuns and guaranteed setups. There are bounds, though, which allow a few characters to basically do a quick stun launch type combo for decent damage.
-I believe setups that lead to guaranteed damage have Changed, not necessarily being less. For ex. Tina lost some ground bounces, but they were replaced with slams that guarantee ground throws and ground attacks. She also gained a flop from a move that woukd just grant a stun(more guaranteed damage). Also players need to be aware of the VF5FS gameplay additions that all grant gauaranteed damage from them.

DR2K said:
Rachel isn't even top 10 in this game. Way too many bad match ups and flaws. She's a good character, but lives on her ft and throw game.
-I said this with vanilla 5, and im going to say this with 5U, players need to play this game before they start predicting who is op. Dr.dogg said helena was going to be low tiered....i said wait n see, and look, that bitch was real good. Also, Rachel ground game is good, but trust me, a tech will come out and will change everything. Fighting mr.wah's bass in 3.1 so much allowed me to develope tech to ease the pressure. The same will happen with rachel

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD