DOA6 Sexualization Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xhominid The Demon Within

I'm a little confused here. Why did you think it was necessary to bring this conversation over from gamefaqs?

Because I honestly hate misinformation about a series I like...
It's bad enough I have to see people practically say that females in Dead or Alive don't fight, are basically underwear models that have sex with each other and none of the other female fighters in any other game EVER suffers that fate(ignoring that Milenna alone posed for Playboy among many, many other ridiculous things as SFV going the way of DOA in terms of costumes for females...)

It's another thing for blatant misinformation.
Anyone else notice the fact that it says "4-way hold" under the timer in the health bars
doa6-breakhold5-1528465436107_610w.jpg

This being pointed out specifically makes me wonder if this means something, like if you can pick between different hold systems, 4-way, 3-way, or even 6-way.

I hope not. Keep it simple and straightforward.

Brute

Standard Donor
My impression is that TN doesn't actually want to do absurd levels of fanservice anymore. Sure, they make the sexualized content to net some money to fund their work (either of their own accord or because Koei-Tecmo tells them to), but I don't think they love it. Whenever TN seems to make something from the heart, such as DOA5 vanilla or Nioh, the sexuality is quite tame by modern standards, let alone Japanese/traditional DOA standards. They still like making pretty people, obviously (most people do), but the crazy anime-like sexual overload doesn't seem to be something they want to be known for. I would wager that sexual content in their games is a balancing act between keeping funds up and pursuing their own vision, and the reason it seems to lean one way or the other is due to what situation they're in at the time. DOA5's onslaught of DLC appears to have sold quite well, as did Nioh. They probably have some money in their pocket now to fund the serious stuff they want to do, and just don't prioritize that level of sexualization.

Gay men and the entire spectrum of sexuality aren't even represented at all in DOA. Your homophobia is showing.
Your illiteracy is showing.

Kasumi

I highly doubt SJWs are the reason they are toning down the fanservice.

Probably they want to be taken more seriously.

To be honest I don't know why people complain, I'm sure the girls will still have nice costumes, who cares if your polygon character with polygon boobs bounce more or less.

100% behind the decision to reduce the "sexy" in the game, I play DOA because I like the combat system, the characters and the story, can't care less if I can dress Kasumi with a bikini or not, but that's my opinion.

My impression is that TN doesn't actually want to do absurd levels of fanservice anymore. Sure, they make the sexualized content to net some money to fund their work (either of their own accord or because Koei-Tecmo tells them to), but I don't think they love it. Whenever TN seems to make something from the heart, such as DOA5 vanilla or Nioh, the sexuality is quite tame by modern standards, let alone Japanese/traditional DOA standards. They still like making pretty people, obviously (most people do), but the crazy anime-like sexual overload doesn't seem to be something they want to be known for. I would wager that sexual content in their games is a balancing act between keeping funds up and pursuing their own vision, and the reason it seems to lean one way or the other is due to what situation they're in at the time. DOA5's onslaught of DLC appears to have sold quite well, as did Nioh. They probably have some money in their pocket now to fund the serious stuff they want to do, and just don't prioritize that level of sexualization.

Your illiteracy is showing.

You know what's funny Brute? The very thing you mentioned? We actually had something like far back to Ultimate where people started complaining about the lack of variety on the costumes and Tom Lee and some of the development actually DID agree with us in that regard.

Meaning you are actually right in the fact that they don't like going into massive excess which is a very good point. Because as much as people love tossing the moniker that Dead or Alive constantly gives it's females super skimpy costumes...
Almost all of the DOA games past DOA 5 Ultimate and DOA 2 Ultimate are VERY tame in the ratio of wholesome costumes vs. sexual costumes

Kasumi-Phase-X

“We wanted to make a more cool and mature Dead or Alive this time, and to that end we made a conscious decision to make the characters less sexualized,” Shimbori told IGN.

Interesting, they tried this with DOA5 and they have to give up, I wonder if they are committed to it this time.

Here is a piece of My opinion in from eventhubs (TrueGamingGuru): When I first saw that there was trailer for DOA6, the game did looked pretty cool and looked promising. But when this article came to existence, this honestly would make Me feel more worried about their direction.

Wasn't that something that DOA5 previously did? If going for a less sexualized approach is whats going to happen for this game. Then I'll make a conscious decision to not buy DOA6, and let that game flopped. From someone who bought the collectors edition of DOA5, buying their DLC, going to tournaments to give sex appeal fighter support, and spent $404.89 on DOAX3 from Play-Asia this is a huge slap to face, DOA EVO Showdown 2018 might be the last time I'd DOA support.

That is what I have to say, even if DOA decides to try their less sexualized approach again (like DOA5 tried) there are other games that can provide similar content what DOA use to did like Tekken 7, & SCVI.

Brute

Standard Donor
From someone who bought the collectors edition of DOA5, buying their DLC, going to tournaments to give sex appeal fighter support, and spent $404.89 on DOAX3 from Play-Asia this is a huge slap to face, DOA EVO Showdown 2018 might be the last time I'd DOA support.
1931540_alex_russo_pic.gif

That is what I have to say, even if DOA decides to try their less sexualized approach again (like DOA5 tried) there are other games that can provide similar content what DOA use to did like Tekken 7, & SCVI.
But those games also provide similar sex appeal content...

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Here is a piece of My opinion in from eventhubs (TrueGamingGuru): When I first saw that there was trailer for DOA6, the game did looked pretty cool and looked promising. But when this article came to existence, this honestly would make Me feel more worried about their direction.

Wasn't that something that DOA5 previously did? If going for a less sexualized approach is whats going to happen for this game. Then I'll make a conscious decision to not buy DOA6, and let that game flopped. From someone who bought the collectors edition of DOA5, buying their DLC, going to tournaments to give sex appeal fighter support, and spent $404.89 on DOAX3 from Play-Asia this is a huge slap to face, DOA EVO Showdown 2018 might be the last time I'd DOA support.

This man said
“I’ll make a conscious decision to not buy DOA6 and let the game flop”

.......Like he alone controls the sales of the game

.....Like if he doesn’t buy the game.... everyone else will do the same

......Because he wants Bikinis

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Lol just saw this

View attachment 25019

Lmbo I could honestly live with less fanservice, but hopefully they don’t over do it with the censorship to a weirdly noticeable point
In the IGN article it said that TN wants to get rid of the reputation that it has now, they want to move into a new direction and want DOA to be more mature (in a non sexual way).

I’m happy they’re turning over a new leaf with DOA6. This game always has been Labeled as a “pervert” game because of the fan service. I’m happy TN is actively working on getting rid of the reputation that DOA has right now. I’ll support them all the way.
This man said

He’s upset that he have find another fighting game to jerk off to. I’m happy if he doesn’t buy 6, DOA6 really is pervert repellent lmao.

But those games also provide similar sex appeal content...

I never understood this logic...ever when it comes to people denying the obvious.
Hell, some of them makes no sense to the character at large. It's amazing how people will actually defend Ivy's costume despite heavily clashing with her personality, yet try and play the holier than thou card to DOA players for example.

It's amazing to me when people defend SFV's DLC costume choices for it's female characters(including doing the same thing as Dead or Alive as in giving more costumes to females than males and among many other things including lots more camera angles which can also give off sexual implications) because apparently, they won't be deluging them the same way DOA does...despite their costumes costing MORE and since the release of AE, they overall massively reduced FM gain.

It's amazing to me that you will have people defend the females of KOF despite having TWO all female fighters only in a single game and the 2nd one being even more blatant than DOA in any fashion(including having extra portraits of the females blushing in outfits that is outside of their attire...).

And so on and so forth. But because Dead or Alive has been honest, it's suddenly fair to pretend that it only suffers the same issue.

Kasumi-Phase-X

@Brute Is that all you have to post about My opinion?

This man said

In the IGN article it said that TN wants to get rid of the reputation that it has now, they want to move into a new direction and want DOA to be more mature (in a non sexual way).

I’m happy they’re turning over a new leaf with DOA6. This game always has been Labeled as a “pervert” game because of the fan service. I’m happy TN is actively working on getting rid of the reputation that DOA has right now. I’ll support them all the way.

He’s upset that he have find another fighting game to jerk off to. I’m happy if he doesn’t buy 6, DOA6 really is pervert repellent lmao.

Yes I alone cannot control the sales of the game, and all it takes everyone who wasn't a fan of their direction to either comment to the developers or just not buy the game. Heres My reason: The reason why is because I don't want the game from previous installments to be toned down and become a mainstream game which winds up toning stuff down & dumbing stuff down. When I was a teenager, I was interested into DOA because of the attractive female characters when I saw it on a magazine ad which was from Game Informer, when I saw gameplay footages of DOA4 & played DOA2 I was interested.

I'm not supporting the game just because of the gameplay, but I'm supporting the game for the contents within the game from stuff that wouldn't be recommend for kids (blood & sex). I've became a tournament player in 2015 because of all these people within eventhubs wouldn't take DOA serious because of sex appeal, like if just having the content itself takes away from the game. I want to give support to the game that I cared about since My teenage years to My adult years. My only goal is to give games with sex appeal support so maybe eventually people would play games regardless of its content that some might find embarrassing.

What I also do is if a game is toned down and censored from original country, I wind up not buying them like SFV with the camera shots toned down from the beta R. Mika buttslap & Cammy's skirt shot. I despised censorship when I was exposed to the original Japanese version of Sailormoon, and the Japanese version of Sailormoon was My favorite.

I'm not fully upset King Anubis, I'm just skeptic about if the team really going for a more "less sexual" direction. The DOA series was My favorite fighting game, and would be willing to spend tons of money on the stuff I love and care about. I went out of My way going to EVO to give DOA5 support, and went to NEC18. Saying stuff like "I’ll be glad if he won’t buy the game, it’s like the trash took itself out." is not something how you should treat a hardcore fan like Myself and someone who goes to DOA tournament to give it support. If you wanted a game to more mature (non-sexual) and not liking DOA reputation for its perverted content, you should've abandon DOA and find another "mature" fighting game not Me that loved the game for what it was and question TN direction.

Martin

They will sell sexy costumes in DLC when it doesn't sell as well as it can in Japan, then you can buy Marie Rose in a string bikini and play that at tournaments, don't worry.

Brute

Standard Donor
@Brute Is that all you have to post about My opinion?
Well, they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, so an animated gif containing multiple images in sequence should be the equivalent of a moderately-sized essay.

Is that all you have to post about My opinion?

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I'm not supporting the game just because of the gameplay, but I'm supporting the game for the contents within the game from stuff that wouldn't be recommend for kids (blood & sex).
I'm not fully upset King Anubis, I'm just skeptic about if the team really going for a more "less sexual" direction. The DOA series was My favorite fighting game, and would be willing to spend tons of money on the stuff I love and care about. I went out of My way going to EVO to give DOA5 support, and went to NEC18. Saying stuff like "I’ll be glad if he won’t buy the game, it’s like the trash took itself out." is not something how you should treat a hardcore fan like Myself and someone who goes to DOA tournament to give it support. If you wanted a game to more mature (non-sexual) and not liking DOA reputation for its perverted content, you should've abandon DOA and find another "mature" fighting game not Me that loved the game for what it was and question TN direction.
DOA is Pegi 16 so kids shouldn’t even be playing it in the first place.
I love DOA as well but that doesn’t mean the over the top sex appeal belonged in a fighting game. The sexy stuff should be reserved for the DOAX series since that’s what it’s for.

Cadaveri

Here's my take on it..

I don't mind seeing a DOA with less sexualized costumes etc, in-fact It would be really cool to have more authentic fighting costumes rather than strips of cloth, BUT I really don't like it, If their going to change all the characters physiques that we have come to know and love over the past what 20 years (be it bust reductions etc)

Jadeinchains

Can't believe that a Selena gif made an appearance. :eek:

Also on the current topic I'm fine with it, Not to mention a similar thing happened with DOA5 when it first launched and characters still at launch had sexy and like a blend of more covered up and more revealing clothing, And obviously the dlc that came out was super revealing too, So...people worried that they are going to be "conservative" or something...I don't think you have to be worried.

So anyway here's a link to the official website, so far there's not much on there but it says "update coming june 11th" so It's very soon. :)

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa6/uk/

P2p1mbs

Also on the current topic I'm fine with it, Not to mention a similar thing happened with DOA5 when it first launched and characters still at launch had sexy and like a blend of more covered up and more revealing clothing, And obviously the dlc that came out was super revealing too, So...people worried that they are going to be "conservative" or something...I don't think you have to be worried.

So anyway here's a link to the official website, so far there's not much on there but it says "update coming june 11th" so It's very soon. :)

http://teamninja-studio.com/doa6/uk/

This is exactly what i thought when i read that. They said they were going to tone down on fanservice for 5 and within the next few months, they seemed to forget that. I would give it one month after release before the first swimsuit dlc.

UpSideDownGRUNT

At the same time though DOAX Venus Vacation exists now and Koei Tecmo are making bank on that, so maybe this gives Team Ninja to stay true to their word this time? DOA5 did honestly go overboard adding DOAX bikinis/fetish costumes and even gravures to the game and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD