[Feb 28, 2014] Level Up Presents SoCal Regionals 2014 (Irvine, California)

Vincent Rayne

I ended up not watching too much of the tournament because I had other things going on. What I did come away with was that Requiem talks too much on commentary and ran you over repeatedly with a verbal truck. You were just too quiet is all. The mic was too far from your mouth. Luckily the things Requiem was saying were solid and where you found a brief hole to rush that mic down you did well too.

Can't say much to the matches though I did see some solid play, though far from our best as a community.
i know it must be hard but did you take anything positive from any of this? cause i've only heard complaints so far. we tried and we made it out to SCR to support the community. hell we even got to talk with one of Team Ninja's rep and i saw that's a good accomplishment in on itself. some people will say they didn't play to what they would have liked to. (i.e: me :p) but it wasn't just about trying to win a tournament. it was about having fun and meeting other members of the community. i was wondering if you attended tournaments Cyber?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Cyber Evil not only attended tournaments, he has been on a grand stage and has beaten master ninja without taking a hit. To call him a fan would be disrespectful, he's the shit.

But I disagree with his comments on the tournament play. If anything I think this was one of the best tournaments we've had this year. Crazy Steady, Hajin, Shade, Requiem, Brute.... this is really what the community needs to keep surviving. We're seeing veterans competing with new-comers who are really showing their stuff. After the tournament took place, all I saw was a strip of user comments showing respect to the grade of competition that was expressed.

And for me the newcomers showing up continuously have been incredibly impressive and have represented our game extremely well.

I can't wait to go to my first major, if money wasn't such a problem for me I would be at all of them. Once again, great performance to all who attended #WestCoastMuthaFucka.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Poorly worded. I meant our showing as a community was lacking. Not enough of us, few traveling from around the country, etc. Punctuation would have gone a long way there but that's what I get for typing quickly. I specifically mentioned I couldn't say much about the matches because I didn't see most of them. I won't bother elaborating further because it's still a negative comment, but I've been far from unsupportive of our tournament scene.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Top for DOA5U at SCR;

1st CrazySteady (Helena, Jacky, Sarah)
2nd AFD HajinShinobi (Ayane)
3rd Shade Shifteye (Hayate, Kasumi)
4th LF Persistant Stat (Ayane, Kasumi, Tina)
5th NykNyks (Leifang)
5th AFD ThatOneAznJosh (genfu)
7th AFD Tenren (Alpha-152)
7th AFD Vincent Rayne (Kokoro, Mila)

You can always check out the archive for top 8, @CyberEvil

Requiem

I do want to give a shout out to our Cali people, though, who did a pretty good job showing up. We actually were pretty much the one of the only tournaments year-to-year that actually stabilized for DOA, which isn't a bad start. We'll be quite possibly growing next go around!

Tenren

this weekend was amazing. Im really glad to see the scene grow more out here. As for the commentary you have to remember most of the guys out here are only about a year into the game. Most this was either there 1st or 2nd major. I had to make a choice. Cj is the most knowledgeable we currently have. I also let him choice someone who he think would make a good second. I wanted to get on but running brackets and playing while running around a stream booth is just to much as well. Being the only true vet out here. Grand finals were hype. So many people were getting into it. The SfxT guys were asking so many were asking question or screaming as things happened.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
this weekend was amazing. Im really glad to see the scene grow more out here. As for the commentary you have to remember most of the guys out here are only about a year into the game. Most this was either there 1st or 2nd major. I had to make a choice. Cj is the most knowledgeable we currently have. I also let him choice someone who he think would make a good second. I wanted to get on but running brackets and playing while running around a stream booth is just to much as well. Being the only true vet out here. Grand finals were hype. So many people were getting into it. The SfxT guys were asking so many were asking question or screaming as things happened.

CJ is one of the most knowledgeable we have. But he's definitely the most experienced in commentary.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
@Tenren Now that I've taken time to observe your Alpha play a little better, I have some recommendations:

1. Don't abuse 6PPP... I notice when an Alpha gets scared, they frequently resort to this. I've tried abusing on less experienced players and they even catch it all the time. I just use it as a combo ender or when my opponent has his back turned and I'm afraid I'm going to miss the damage.

2. 4K > 6K... In a laggy online match 6K string is good... in an offline match, players are expecting you to use it and will wait at the back of the map. I also find the move very hard to keep up with (it's like going down a water slide), so it gets reversed 9/10. I understand using 6K, FC, 6K does give a full launch, but so does 4K string and:

-You will have more control of the string.
-You can transition to FLT,preferably using her kick.
-The string ends with some advantage and a FLT stance.

3. 3P is a great move, but the string isn't fantastic by a long shot. Just use 3P to for the deep stun and fish for a hold. If you feel like your opponent is going use a low, you can always FLT back and try again later.

4. Take advantage of her parry. In some cases it's her only defense, and you can get a wall combo from it.

5. Your burst offense was pretty good, but watch out because when you used 6T I could tell that it was by accident. Now that the move is no longer 66T the lock is broken and burst becomes slightly harder to use.

6. After the 8T use FLT P immediately. It acts as a great pseudo, and if they tech up you can go for ANOTHER 8T or a 4K string. If the pseudo misses, the opponent in my case usually goes for a mid WUK; and if this is your case parry right after your pseudo misses.

A smart player always goes for the low WUK against Alpha (or after they catch on to the mid).

7. 3K is a great move to use to someone charging you. Has a lot of distance it covers, and it's a critical burst.

8. Remember that people that fight Alpha WILL hold, and sometimes it's best to just go for her neutral grab. It does good damage, and hits on the wall. People that fight Alpha generally FEAR burst, so like all smart players they go for a low to avoid and often they have they have the time to do it. After spamming neutral as my primary throw, they begin to expect burst less and that's when you get dirty.

A great Alpha is determined by the manipulative skills you hold over your opponent. She's a lot more complex than people let on, and now that she has been nerfed so many times it's a lot harder to do this, and I like that. Because people still have the low mental capacity to complain about the character, but they don't don't have the mental capacity to learn an unsafe move-set, and OH's that can be seen coming a mile away. Good luck if you continue to use the character.

The smartest thing to assume now is that the DOA5 Vanilla days are over. Everyone has this character most players that play Ultimate play it frequently so they understand the matchup. Assume every time you use her that your opponent hates her and NOW understands how she plays.

Last edited:

Tenren

Thanks, I really only have about 2 weeks of actual play with 5U. So i get stuck doing things from vanilla a lot. Im slowly getting back in to DOA and was really happy just getting top 8 at SCR. Last year I was 1 match short lol. Yah the whole 6T was really getting to me. I just went to a Korean crown stick so It would come out by accident a lot. Same with my 2T punishes. I go to low throw someone and 6T would come out again lol. Ive watch my matchs over and over and can deff tell I should of done better.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Rewatched my matches in top 8. Even though I lost in grand finals, I'm actually pretty content with how well I played. Sure I made some mistakes and missed some punishment (everyone makes mistakes), but I played very solid.

My sets with Shade were great, that was the first time I've played someone else with strong spacing and footsies as good as mine, especially in a tournament setting. Shade's been one of my favorite players for a long while now, so it was great finally playing him, and in top 8 on equal footing at that.

My sets with Steady were also very good. The tick throwing and unfamiliarity with Jacky threw me off quite a bit, but he definitely did play solid for sure. Top 8 was the first time I've played him so I was excited about that.

Coming out of losers for a bracket reset is so difficult to pull off, but if you can do it then you definitely have a chance to make a comeback. Almost had it but Steady took it in the end. All is well though because I'm not upset about losing, I played really well in top 8 and I learned a lot in my matches too. All of this and what I learned just makes me stronger.

Regardless, I really enjoyed all of my matches at SCR, especially my matches in top 8. Very good games to @Shade and @CrayCraySteady , those matches were tough and I enjoyed every round of every match. Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to play offline again.

I'm really proud of myself for making it as far as I could. I'm the first Ayane player to make it into grand finals at a tournament major in DOA5U. Definitely looking forward to NCR 2014.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD