Final charcter select screen (all characters)

Stikku

nice even if they do I couldn't see more then 4 more. That is unless they make everything a lil smaller with the select and back button on the bottom right
there are two open spaces to the right of the bottom 3, and four open spaces to the left. They don't interfere with the buttons dialogue box.

Stikku

There is space for more slots (as always), but there aren't another 6 slots on that screen. I don't get why people cant understand that free space doesn't mean more slots.
"As always"...?

There's room for 6 slots, and you're joking yourself if you think there wont be dlc characters or something. You seem to have forgotten that TN ripped two staple characters from DOA5 that have been around since DOA2.

The post-itagaki Team Ninja is just simply a subsidiary of Tecmo at it's most complex creative point now. Seeing what they did to NG3 should only alert you to what plans they have in store for DOA5.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I don't see more characters getting added honestly. As much as I want to see Ein again, they really don't have a lot of additional characters to throw in. Leon, sure. Another VF character is possible. But what's left for DoA characters? The bosses? They're basically model swaps with the exception of Genra and Tengu, the latter of which they've publicly stated they think he's not popular enough to put in. Raidou, Shiden, Kasumi Alpha...they're all just characters with a selection of moves from the rest of the cast. Ryo is being read into too much and if it was actually in the cards he wouldn't have publicly name-dropped him like that. That was to gauge interest or really just a wish like he said.

Time will tell.

Also, what DrDogg said.

Stikku

And you seem to have forgotten that Team Ninja has stated there will be no DLC characters... >_>
TN has said a lot of things. Like wanting Ryo Hazuki as a DLC character. I'm sure if you actually just read the translated subtitles in the fighter chronicles videos, you'll also find some extreme dislocations from reality between the way DOA5 is and what they "aimed" for.

Their word isn't much to rely on, one way or the other. I'm just analyzing the suspicious amount of free space on the character select screen, which is paramount for a DOA game to say the least, as well as their business practice in regards to NG3 which requires DLC to be half as interesting as NG2, and will be receiving an "update" on the Wii-U that actually makes it a legitimate Ninja Gaiden title.

But what's left for DoA characters?

Leon, Ein, Genra, Tengu, Raidou.

that still leaves one more slot. Come on, don't tell me you didn't play Dead or Alive: Dimensions. That game was essentially DOA4.5

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Leon, Ein, Genra, Tengu, Raidou.

that still leaves one more slot. Come on, don't tell me you didn't play Dead or Alive: Dimensions. That game was essentially DOA4.5
I already talked about all of those. They don't think Tengu is popular (and they're right), Raidou isn't even a unique character, Genra was terrible, and Ein and Leon are no-brainers. My point was they won't have enough characters to fill out the bottom row without filler characters which dilute the quality of the cast.

Also, there won't be any DLC characters by their own admission. Unless the translation was off, they said it in an interview a while back. I think with an Aussie outlet, but I forget.

Don't be mad, I'm just trying to say where you got the idea that there are 6 slot remaining? I know the last row is short but that doesn't mean anything.

Stikku

Also, there won't be any DLC characters by their own admission.

Their word isn't much to rely on, one way or the other.

at least we can agree on one thing.

It honestly doesn't matter what they think, or what they've said they think regarding the popularity of a character. Tengu, Genra, Raidou.. They're all Team Ninja's characters, and they should take pride in their creations. Every other character in DOA received a hearty amount of work put into them to make them different for DOA5, in one way or another. There is no reason they couldn't do the same for the other characters.

The exclusion of Ein and Leon completely baffles me, so much to the point that it's like they're really trying to hint at the fact that they will be DLC.

Pretty much, when the developer explicitly states they won't charge for character DLC and you insist that won't buy the game until miracle DLC characters are available then there's really no reason for you to be on this site, lol.

Well, if not paid DLC - then probably a re-released version of an improved DOA5 on disc. Or maybe TN will just be completely kind and add in the remaining characters free of charge. That'd be a blessing and completely unexpected.

lol i just realized the title of this thread has a typo.

Nightpup

Simply put....
Leon: He's way too similar to Bayman to bother including. As much as I liked him, Mila has most of his unique stuff covered, minus the 4-part throw.
Ein: This one, I understand. From what I remember hearing, Ein was basically a virtual persona for Itagaki. With him gone, I guess they didn't see the need to include him since they already have another Karate character.
Tengu: He's just not popular enough. It pains me to say it, but he's just not wanted by many.
Genra: Genra is Nicole is Mila is Genra.
Raidou: This one confuses me, though. Yeah, all his moves may have been from other characters but that's what made him unique. Plus, he had really difficult and strong grabs and OH's. This is the one I was hoping to see come back in some way, shape or form. Oh, how I loved his :6::1::2::3::4::F+P::Link::236::236::F+P:...
Kasumi Alpha: She was just there for story purposes in Dimensions, and they figured "Hey! Let's give her Kasumi's DOA2 moveset!". Since Kasumi already has her moveset back from pre-DOA4, there's no reason for this character.
Shiden: He's nothing but a stripped down Hayate. He was pretty much a novelty inclusion. It would've been cool to see him come back with his own unique moveset, though. A shame, really.

Stikku

Simply put....
Leon: He's way too similar to Bayman to bother including. As much as I liked him, Mila has most of his unique stuff covered, minus the 4-part throw.
Ein: This one, I understand. From what I remember hearing, Ein was basically a virtual persona for Itagaki. With him gone, I guess they didn't see the need to include him since they already have another Karate character.
Tengu: He's just not popular enough. It pains me to say it, but he's just not wanted by many.
Genra: Genra is Nicole is Mila is Genra.
Raidou: This one confuses me, though. Yeah, all his moves may have been from other characters but that's what made him unique. Plus, he had really difficult and strong grabs and OH's. This is the one I was hoping to see come back in some way, shape or form.
Kasumi Alpha: She was just there for story purposes in Dimensions, and they figured "Hey! Let's give her Kasumi's DOA2 moveset!". Since Kasumi already has her moveset back from pre-DOA4, there's no reason for this character.
Shiden: He's nothing but a stripped down Hayate. He was pretty much a novelty inclusion. It would've been cool to see him come back with his own unique moveset, though. A shame, really.

I disagree on the Leon part wholeheartedly. Leon and Bayman play nothing alike. They were only clones in DOA2 and have become very much different as the series progressed.

I didn't know that about Ein, but I find it hard to believe since I'd never known it before. Either way, even if it were true, it doesn't invalidate Ein as a character, and would only display Team Ninja to be childish for excluding Ein if that were the reason.

Tengu is popular enough.

Genra had a wonky ass moveset for Dead or Alive: Dimensions. I'm not saying I think DOA:D Genra would be a good decision to have him return for DOA5, i'm just saying he's a character that was playable, and he should continue to be playable even if it means changing his moveset around a little. Like getting rid of his projectiles for one, or removing his silly ground hurricane attack (which honestly didn't even make sense as an attack in the first place, considering DOA3 genra could never do that, but has a similar "shockwave" effect after being knocked down).
I'd have to say my favorite part of Genra was the fact they recycled some of Nicole's moveset for him. She was a great character.

Raidou is a good choice to make a reappearance. He really really is.

As for Kasumi Alpha, I wouldn't waste a character slot bringing her back to DOA5. I don't really know why they put her in DOA:D. She was basically just a gimped clone of Kasumi.

I wouldn't reproach Team Ninja if they didn't waste a character slot on Shiden and just added him as some kind of alternate multi-button selection for Hayate. Could simply just be a model swap.

That still leaves one character slot. Donovan? Ryo? maybe it'll be empty.

It's certainly better to think DOA5 would at least have as much content as a handheld rinky dink 3DS game.

Nightpup

You can think Tengu is popular all you want. The honest truth is, aside from FSD, people just don't like him. They treat him as nothing but a joke, even moreso since he ended up being DOA4's "Troll character".

Stikku

You can think Tengu is popular all you want. The honest truth is, aside from FSD, people just don't like him. They treat him as nothing but a joke, even moreso since he ended up being DOA4's "Troll character".
I didn't say he was outright popular. I just said he's popular enough. He's not a bad character. He's actually really fun to play as once you approach the idea of flying around a large, ugly, honkin' ass nosed winged motherfucker.

Nightpup

I didn't say he was outright popular. I just said he's popular enough. He's not a bad character. He's actually really fun to play as once you approach the idea of flying around a large, ugly, honkin' ass nosed winged motherfucker.
Yeah, of course he's fun. I use him all the time. I know that people like him, really. But, I can understand Team Ninja not including him. In their eyes, he just wasn't a good character, so they left him out.

Stikku

Yeah, of course he's fun. I use him all the time. I know that people like him, really. But, I can understand Team Ninja not including him. In their eyes, he just wasn't a good character, so they left him out.
So much for "listening to the community", right?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD