Final Fantasy Thread

Chapstick

Did anyone else play Bravely Default? aka that FF game that's not called FF

That game tried padding out its length the absolute worst way, I never even finished it. At one point in the story they make you replay the events of previous chapters again and again and again and I was done by the third time around

SilverForte

As long as the game has an interesting world to explore, good music, and good gameplay, thats enough for me, I don't really play rpgs for the story.

@DestructionBomb I do have a ps2 laying around here, gathering dust but its still around, I was probably going to start with 2 since I could more easily play it.

And RoF, I gotta say I loved the main trio, and the music was really good, very good gameplay too, you'd think it would get repetitive but it was consistently challenging which was fun, the story was bad but whatever.

SilverForte

Yup, its why I enjoyed 13, no doubt the story was just laughable at times, but the gameplay was pretty dang deep, just a shame you didn't really get to experience it fully in the first game till you got to Pulse. 13-2 is really a lot better in most regards, even if the gameplay is easier overall. Check out Etrosgate.com, some of the highest level 13 gameplay there. A lot of people are just misinformed about 13 being autopilot. Sure, you can just spam autobattle the whole game, but its boring and inefficient.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Yeah, XIII trilogy as whole is really tactical and has tons of strategy, but people never cared for that and just used auto battle "because its there", people also like to believe you can just play LR by just spamming and that isn't true. I tried doing that for giggle and just ran out of ATB guage and got rekt, especially in the later fights.

The stagger guage was broken in XIII though... there were a few enemies that you could stun loop.

Jadeinchains

Yeah, XIII trilogy as whole is really tactical and has tons of strategy, but people never cared for that and just used auto battle "because its there", people also like to believe you can just play LR by just spamming and that isn't true. I tried doing that for giggle and just ran out of ATB guage and got rekt, especially in the later fights.

The stagger guage was broken in XIII though... there were a few enemies that you could stun loop.

There was a few battles in XIII that I thought required you to be more tactical and you couldn't just use auto battle? There was at least a few battles that could get very annoying if you just used auto battle since characters would use a less effective move.

Nikotsumi

Yeah, that steppe was the only place that wasn't a straight line.
FFXIII had a lot of depth in its battle systems imo. For example, while it may not seem at first, attack speed could be a relevant factor in the game, and I almost never seen anyone talking about this.
Lightning and Snow can cast offensive magic almost two times faster than Hope and Vanille, so even though they have less magic power, they can actually deal more damage in less time with the right accessories. (I tested it once, when Vanille finished casting 6 spells, Lightning had already cast hers and was already casting another chain). This is why Sazh was never in my party in XIII (both his spell casting and attack speed are the slowest) and I never let Serah use the bow in XIII-2, especially in those DLC boss fights, even though it was pretty cool xD
In XIII-2 there were also a lot of monsters that took ages to do an attack or cast a spell, never used those.

SilverForte

Right, Snow was actually the best ravager, because the role was not about damage, but raising the chain, and faster casting speed is important for that.

Postgame Sazh and Hope were basically outclassed, but they were useful at times before then.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Snow is just extremely limited(I believe he only learns ice and water magic), I preferred to use Lightning and Vanille for that reason. I felt that Vanille was the better healer also, I can't remember why though(it's been atleast 4 years since I played XIII and no longer own it xD)

Also, here's some actual gameplay of World of Final Fantasy from PlayStation UK. It's pretty much classic FF x FFXIII-2 x Pokemon.

Last edited:

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Sazh was in my party because he looks just like one of d my friends and because Blitz is op against large creatures.
Seriously, Blitz is ridiculous when Sazh uses it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
New Final Fantasy XV "Universe" trailer:

Also epsidode 3 of Brotherhood was released today:

This time it's about Gladio.

Edit:
So we finally learn who the mysterious girl is, that was driving with the guys in one of the game trailers. :)

Ce9u_ByWwAEfNl-.jpg

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

New Final Fantasy XV "Universe" trailer:

Also epsidode 3 of Brotherhood was released today:

This time it's about Gladio.

Edit:
So we finally learn who the mysterious girl is, that was driving with the guys in one of the game trailers. :)

Ce9u_ByWwAEfNl-.jpg

I liked that episode but wow that girl was a dumb ass for chasing the cat that far! I didn't know she was in a trailer before so I wonder how she'll be in the game.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The game was extremely linear till chapter 11 or so, no doubt about that. Easily the weakest part of the game.

I wouldn't say the weakest part since post-game content kept it in check. I considered it an obstacle that took away 60% of the actual game and what to expect. FFXIII as well as FFXIII-2's DLC boss battles had the most intelligent AIs regarding bosses and "no auto battles'". However there were a lot of battles that were sequenced along with some of them having predictable moves coming from the enemy such as "Haste > Debuffs > Special > Cooldown" etc. Those can get tiresome yet some of that stuff in there is pretty intelligent, such as Haste where the move can speed up the cooldown from the boss after it did it's special while the party members are too busy trying to remove the debuffs or casting Haste on themselves.

I do hope Gilgamesh returns in FFXV as another optional superboss for the 4th time to beat the hilarious crap out of party members. I need some close to overpowered troll equipment rewards or something similar.

Gilgamesh: -Trips- -Gets back up- Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME! - QUAKE MORTALS! YOU FACE THE BLADE OF LEGEND! -splits a mountain in half with a light swing- @XZero264 @Awesmic

Battle commences and kick ass theme plays.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I liked that episode but wow that girl was a dumb ass for chasing the cat that far! I didn't know she was in a trailer before so I wonder how she'll be in the game.

Well, that's anime for you. ;)
Also, there is no way that Gladio (23) is just 3 years older than Noctis (20), nooo way. XD

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The Final Fantasy XV (see what I did there? ;)) boxart was revealed:

CmzDgQ1VYAABRHz.jpg

So they apparently scrapped this one:

14594887213030.jpg

I liked the actual name/logo of the game much better here. But I prefer the artwork and color of the new one more.

UpSideDownGRUNT

The top is the North American box art, it's likely they'll be different in each region. That's how old games used to do it, Final Fantasy VII had 3 toally different covers.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Damn, I like that bottom one. I would be happier with the title logo on the NA one because it looks better than plain text.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD