Final Fantasy Thread

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@Chapstick

tumblr_osrmuqdYqu1r46u25o1_1280.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Visiting the doctor today and I thought why not treat myself to a game on the way back. I'm thinking of Final Fantasy XII after all. Just a couple of questions though?

1. I understand FFXII is semi open in its level design. Is it fun/interesting to explore the different regions? Is there a reason to come back later? Like for quests, monsters, treasures etc.
2. Is the random enemy encounter annoying?
3. Are there any cities in the game beside the very big Dalmasca?
4. The combat is fun, right? Even though it is neither real time action nor turn-based.
5. How long is the game with much/most of the side stuff included?

I hope I don't waste 45€ on this... :/

HHH816

i try to play it back on ps2..the combat system is not to my liking

FF13 is more entertaining combat wise..try the demo first

Chapstick

Visiting the doctor today and I thought why not treat myself to a game on the way back. I'm thinking of Final Fantasy XII after all. Just a couple of questions though?

1. I understand FFXII is semi open in its level design. Is it fun/interesting to explore the different regions? Is there a reason to come back later? Like for quests, monsters, treasures etc.
4. The combat is fun, right? Even though it is neither real time action nor turn-based.

After playing it again I recommend it

1. Kinda I guess. There are hunts and things like the big T-rex in the starting desert area which is wayyy too strong to try to defeat in the beginning of the game
2. There aren't random encounters
3. Yes
4. imo yes, once you start picking jobs and working on the license board it becomes fun. You'll probably want to look up a guide about the jobs.
5. I forget but it's fairly long. This site says 122 hours on average

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
My post might be very different since I've only completed the original version of the game. However here's a link just incase you would like to see any of the differences. Some are not exactly important in there, but it's there: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XII/Version_differences (Should be a little down when you scroll on the site, Zodiac Age is basically International Zodiac Job System except the PS4 version has a better titled name and running on a better console, along with some new features to enhance the game's normal output of boredom like 2x speed etc.)

1) They were enjoyable to explore the first time, but may not be the same type of fun/interesting the second time seeing as this game was already released ages ago (for returning players), but we are just now getting this version after so many years. Upon further checking, this is literally the "real" version we were suppose to have awhile back. Course this is a matter of taste but some of them were fun to explore (at the time). The game is definitely nowhere near FFXV's potential on capturing the eyes seeing as this is just an enhanced port from a older game, but it was fun.

One of the best parts of the game is the "end game" quests, not the early ones because those are a chore. The monsters were quite a surprise because there is a shit ton of them where they are all different (on a fair note, there are monsters that are usually reskinned from another monster in a different color or just enhanced in size). Treasures in the game were seeked out by players, but nothing totally of huge value except the end game treasures.

2) Random encounters with wild enemies weren't exactly annoying (actually it's not really random encounters but eh they are in the wild), but can be an issue going to an area you are not suppose to be in yet. In fact, one of the stuff people had issues with (same for me back then) is that the level spikes pretty big when going to a new location that the game tells you to go. For example, the game will tell you to go to this X forest here, but you must cross this desert first of level 15 monsters to get to this forest. Ok cool that's fine, but when you actually make it to the forest the monsters there are level 25 while you are somewhere within the 18 or 19 margin. The game spikes in odd ways that makes you grind for EXP and this can be somewhat brutal with boredom because it takes a bit of time. Luckily Final Fantasy Santa came in to the rescue and whispered Square to add a 2x/4x speedkick to kill this boredom because let me tell you, it was kinda of a drag on the original version.

3) There are very few cities that are explorable within Ivalice, Dalmasca is a popular one. I'll have to get back on you with this since it was a long time that I played the game but I do remember the map layout is mostly long corridors type maps with buildings you can go inside into another loading screen. If I had to put it like this, it's not like The Witcher or Assassin's Creed free roam of expanse, it's more like a big city with layers and wings and each wing will have a line spot that takes you into the next big wing.

4) The combat is debatable, but if I had to give an honest answer. It's an awkward battle system (at first).

Within my experience, the combat was incredibly slow at the very beginning and boring because you don't have access to those skills that makes the battle much more enjoyable, not to mention that the battles take a bit longer compared to most of the other FFs due to the active gauges filling up to commence another action. Not only just the battles at first were boring, but the entire kick start of the story in the very beginning and adventure was just so boring. The game literally does not start getting good until you pass 15% (an estimate, not exact) of the game. In fact, I may just tap in that 2x/4x speed to skip pass the early stuff because it was really ugh.

5) The raw story of the game caps an estimate around 60+ hours depending on the player's time and how he progresses, but that's usually a rough estimate for people who just keep on playing, and then a raw total for everything is roughly 105+. For those completionists players, somewhere 120+.

Last edited:

Nikotsumi

Basically what it has already been said.
There are really a lot of reason to go back to already visited places (for weapons, hunts, rare treasures, quests....). There also hidden paths in dungeons that cannot be accessed the first time you visit them, because they're locked etc... they hide summons most of the time.
Main story is very long.
Personally, I wasn't a fan of the battle system.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Any news on the Dissidia panel for EVO?

And how's everyone enjoying FFXII: The Zodiac Age? Anyone made it to Trial 100 yet?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
And how's everyone enjoying FFXII: The Zodiac Age? Anyone made it to Trial 100 yet?

Are those trials that hard? I'll likely make the attempt when I finish the game again but haven't been gaming as much due to promotion. It wasn't in the original game so would like to try.

Chapstick

I was farming a bunch of LP early with trial mode. And you can get diamond armlets from the very first stage with the level 1 rats and sell them for 6k gil. Haven't gotten past stage 9 yet but I was like level 10 with crap equipment.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I was farming a bunch of LP early with trial mode. And you can get diamond armlets from the very first stage with the level 1 rats and sell them for 6k gil. Haven't gotten past stage 9 yet but I was like level 10 with crap equipment.

Ahhhhh, so does the content there transfer over to the main game or something? is it something that's worthwhile to do? or something that might just be sought after for end game stuff?

Chapstick

Ahhhhh, so does the content there transfer over to the main game or something? is it something that's worthwhile to do? or something that might just be sought after for end game stuff?
You load your current save file into trial mode and it's basically survival mode with some treasure chests thrown in (the only useful one I've seen so far has been the diamond armlet but there are some motes in there) and you get to keep all LP and items you earn. Once you die it exits out to the main menu with progress saved up to your last win (so any LP or items you get in a stage you die in you don't get to keep) and then when you load that trial mode save in the main game it resets your progress in trial mode but you get the LP and items. You get about 110 LP and 6k gil for beating the first 8 stages which takes maybe 5 minutes demolishing everything with dark so it's really useful in the early game.

You also get rewards for every ten stages you beat.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD