Halloween Designer Challenge 2015

indieanimator

Anyone else on the fence about going for it this year? I'm thankful to have been a finalist last year ( though not an actual costume in the game). I checked out the designs entered so far. Thinking of Brad and/or Gen Fu since I like them & they might not have as many entries. It's tricky, because it needs to read as Halloween, yet the classic monsters, pirates, etc. have been used. But it can be something besides a classic. Hmm...

synce

I'll pay anyone who submits a GOOD sarah design. We need to give TN as much options for Sarah as possible! D:

There was some good Sarah stuff last year so I'm sure someone will come through. I'm also considering something although it's not good and will probably get rejected for 2 reasons (we'll see later...)

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Voodoo Zack
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1594909814120964&set=o.126851554085605&type=1&theater
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Squizz0z/status/596291914971877376
2gsiazm.jpg

Yes! Howling Jimmy Jefferson.

Kronin

Hi people, I could have got some important news about the Halloweed Design.

Some time ago @synce had asked to be sure if designs of Alpha-152 would have been allowed this time. Wanting giving an help and additionally being personally interested to the matter too, I sent this mail to Team NINJA:

Hi Team NINJA,

I wanted ask 2 simple questions about the new Design Challenge:

1. In the previous Halloween Contest, designs for Alpha-152 were discarded from the competition. Is this time allowed to send entries for this character that will become part of the voting pool and eventually a chance for becoming part of the DLC pack?
  2. It's stated that it's possible to submit multiple entries, but is there some rule about it? (For example is it possible to send more designs for the same character? Or is there a limit to the number of entries?)

Waiting for an answer, greetings and thanks for your attention

Yesterday I received this mail of answer (I use a secondary account for such "nerd" matters xD, this is the reason because I noticed it only today):

Hello Kronin

Alpha 152 is in the contest. But at this time we won't do any popular vote from the community.

Yes, you can enter whatever numbers of designs you want, even for the same character!

Thank you very much.

So apparently there are 3/4 important infos that they said me:
  • Alpha-152 designs are allowed to partecipate *Anakin's "Yippee!"*;
  • It's possible to send how much designs you wish and even for the same character (even if basically you are challenging yourself, anyway if you have more than a good idea for the same character you are not forced to choose one of them);
  • Third and more importantly, if I didn't misunderstand apparently this time there will be no popular vote from the community (I believe that this is the meaning of "at this time", we know that Yasushi Tani sometimes make English mistakes and by the way I'm the last one that should talk about this considering my definitely worse English :p).
This amazed me but effectively reading again the manifesto it make sense: we all assumed the presence of a pool just because this is what happened the last two times, but actually this time nowhere it's mentioned that the fans will be called to vote for their outfits, you can check by yourselves: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/lastround/us/designerschallenge2015.html

Together with not choosing a design for each character or switching the owners in the past Halloween 2014 contest, to Team NINJA were moved critiques even about the winners of the Halloween pool being only entries addressed to the fanservice.

Premising that my opinion on the matter is always remained the same - liking or less the entries, they were the outcome of the majority of fans voting them and so had all the right to be in the top ten - TN in the selection of the first contest designs considered the critiques operating differently in the selection and realization of the in-game outfits: at this point make sense that now they made the same even for the method for the "popularity assignment " of the costumes. We should even add that they were the first ones to discard the top ten outfits from the Halloween contest save the first four placements, while they realized in-game 8 on 10 outfits from the top ten of the first contest, discarding two of them just because being a second top voted outfit for the same character (specifically Helena's and Rig's designs). So maybe even Team NINJA favourited the first winner designs in comparison of the Halloween ones where the fanservice got the priority on the effective theme (just speculation by me).

Considering that the Japanese/Asian fanbase overcome the western one (at least about the interest for the contest matter), this change of rule where apparently only Team NINJA is in charge to select the winner outfits should give a chance to everyone to have the possibility to get a placement in the top ten. I'm pretty sure that they decided for this way only because the more impartial one in the end, even if not democratic.

----------------------------
In conclusion, I believe that (so just my personal thought, not get it as something official) that the text of the manifesto...

The winning designs will be made available as DLC in October 2015! (*1)
Additionally, 10 personally selected winners will receive a special present from Team NINJA! (*2)
We can't wait to see what you come up with!
*1: The content and release of the DLC are subject to change without prior notice.
*2: Winning entrants will be contacted in advance in order to confirm a mailing address for the prize.
...means this:
  1. Team NINJA will select in first place the winner designs (I assume 34, one for each character if everyone will get a fan design) that they will become DLC in the Halloween Pack of October.
  2. 10 designs selected by Team NINJA (the equivalent of the Jury Awards of the previous editions?) will get DoA gadgets. Maybe this time the winner outfits will not get them, if not maybe just the ones placed in the top 3 or so on (again, just speculation of mine).
PS: Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

synce

Hi people, I could have got some important news about the Halloweed Design.

@synce hadasked some time ago to be sure if designs of Alpha-152 would have been allowed this time. Wanting giving an help and additionally being personally interested to the matter too, I sent this mail to Team NINJA:

Yesterday I received this mail of answer (I use a secondary account for such "nerd" matters xD, this is the reason because I noticed it only today):

So apparently there are 3 important infos that they said me:
  • Alpha-152 designs are allowed to partecipate *Anakin's "Yippee!"*;
  • It's possible to send how much designs you wish and even for the same character (even if basically you are challenging yourself, anyway if you have more than a good idea for the same character you are not forced to choose one of them);
  • Third and more importantly, if I didn't misunderstand apparently this time there will be no popular vote from the community (I believe that this is the meaning of "at this time", we know that Yasushi Tani sometimes make English mistakes and by the way I'm the last one that should talk about this considering my definitely worse English :p).
This amazed me but effectively reading again the manifesto it make sense: we all assumed the presence of a pool just because this is what happened the last two times, but actually this time nowhere it's mentioned that the fans will be called to vote for their outfits, you can check by yourself in the link posted in the OP thread.

Together with not choosing a design for each character or switching the owners in the Halloween contest, to Team NINJA were moved critiquest even about the winners of the Halloween pool being only entries addressed to the fanservice.

Premising that my opinion on the matter is always remained the same - liking or less the entries, they were the outcome of the majority of fans voting them and so had all the right to be in the top ten - TN in the selection of the first contest design considered the critiques operating differently in the selection and realization of the in-game outfits, so make sense that they made the same even for the method for the "popularity assignment " of the costumes. We should even add that they were the first ones to discard the top ten outfits from the Halloween contest safe the first four placements, while they realized in-game 8 on 10 outfits from the first contest top ten, discarding two of them just because being a second top voted outfit for the same character (specifically Helena's and Rig's designs).

Considering that the Japanese/Asian fanbase overcome the western one (at least about the interest for the contest matter), this change of rule where apparently only Team NINJA is in charge to select the winner outfits should give a chance to everyone to have the possibility to get a placement in the top ten. I'm pretty sure that they decided for this way only because the more impartial one in the end, even if not democratic.

----------------------------
In conclusion, I believe that (so just my personal thought, not get it as something official) that the text of the manifesto:

Means this:
  1. Team NINJA will select in first place the winner designs (I assume 34, one for each character if everyone will get a fan design) that they will become DLC in the Halloween Pack of October.
  2. 10 designs selected by Team NINJA (the equivalent of the Jury Awards of the previous editions?) will get DoA gadgets. Maybe this time the winner outfits will not get them, if not maybe just the ones placed in the top 3 or so on (again, just speculation of mine).
PS: Sorry for the wall of text.

Thanks for asking! Glad to hear Alpha's okay. And that's pretty big news about them not holding a popular vote. I guess after 2 contests they finally realized how pointless those things are. Although now we probably won't get to see a gallery of all the entries :/

Kronin

Thanks for asking! Glad to hear Alpha's okay. And that's pretty big news about them not holding a popular vote. I guess after 2 contests they finally realized how pointless those things are. Although now we probably won't get to see a gallery of all the entries :/

No problem and damn, I didn't think about this consequence! I really hope that they will post anyway a gallery of the fans entries, this should be something guiltless, right? I could try to ask them if they will create a definitive portfolio just like the last times, beside this acts like a definitive evidence that your entry is part of the contest (so it's something even in the interest of the fans in addition to their pleasure).

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I'll pay anyone who submits a GOOD sarah design. We need to give TN as much options for Sarah as possible! D:
We had a werewolf sarah costume submission last year, but TN decided not to choose it :(

That looks dope @axouel2009 I cant wait to see what you have planned next

this one is really nice
CEUG2RoUEAAIxH_.jpg

the flamingo insignia is a nice touch.
This is WAY better than that purple one!

indieanimator

Thanks for the info, Kronin. I went with a Fu design. Just hope no one else thought of it & enters it first. ;) I want to go to color & finish it while I have time. I wonder if I should show the drawing while I'm working on it...

Ashlette

Just a few tips for others who wish to design a costume this time!

1) Limit transparent shit - Avoid transparent clothing at all costs. Team Ninja limits them to tiny props (like glasses), so you must too.

2) Test in 3D first - Try drawing your costume design on the character's model before creating the concept sheet. Remember that a good outfit in 2D might translate poorly to 3D, while a good outfit in 3D always translates well to 2D. Doing this bit of extra work increases your win chance.

3) Less is more - Make your outfit as readable as possible by adding the right amount of detail (but not too much). To test the readability of your outfit, zoom out of your concept sheet; if you can tell what the outfit looks like from afar then you've got a readable outfit. In short, a readable outfit is an extremely professional outfit that will impress the MLG pros at Team Ninja.

4) Skill doesn't matter - As long as you have an interesting idea in your mind, then draw it down! This year's Halloween competition is not a DA popularity clusterfuck like the last outfit challenge. In fact, 2014's Halloween challenge was not too; one of the 2014's Halloween Marie Rose finalists was obviously drawn by some MLG pro artist from professional mangaka land but lost anyways. On the other hand, 2014's Halloween Christie's winner was a simple drawing with Christie's in-game face slapped onto it. So don't let your lack of drawing skills let you down (altho you must still color your entry to obtain a chance of winning)

5) Target the neglected ones - Some chars (like Marie and Kasumi) get lots of love, while others get less. Namely, the dudes (probably except for Eliot) and the VF characters get the least amount of love during these contests. If you draw outfits for these chars you might get one (or more!) outfits in-game.

indieanimator

Good info thanks. And thanks for those who liked my design. Technical question on posting on Facebook: when I clicked #DOACostumes like they say to, I'm on a section where I see the other entries, but nothing that says post. Do you click Comment under the four Screenshots & attach the images there? Email's simpler, but I figured I'd get the art out there.

Last edited:

DyByHands

Technical question on posting on Facebook: when I clicked #DOACostumes like they say to, I'm on a section where I see the other entries, but nothing that says post. Do you click Comment under the four Screenshots & attach the images there? Email's simpler, but I figured I'd get the art out there to share.
I believe you just post to their page with the hashtag in the post, I think.
So you entered via email? Did you get any confirmation that they received Your submission? I'm still waiting and kind of wondering.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I believe you just post to their page with the hashtag in the post, I think.
So you entered via email? Did you get any confirmation that they received Your submission? I'm still waiting and kind of wondering.

They may not be able to confirm for every submission, but be sure that they do check all of their e-mail.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD