Holds in Critical State -- just get rid of the damn thing already?

x Sypher x

We of course want DOA5 to turn out to be Tournament viable and previous said system changes to come into effect, but whether or not our voices are heard, I'll still be pickin' this bad boy up for the simple love I have for the series.

Yeah I feel you on that. I would too.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Nothing new. Even the Street Fighter community has fans and haters for each of its games.

Arnell Long

UMvC3, SSFIV 2012, SFxTK, etc...they have at lot to choose from, unlike us, we only have DOA4 as the most recent title even though Capcom is a much bigger Company etc, etc, etc...I'm just saying hopefully DOA5 get them System tweaks we've been wanting for yrs now because this Community is way too small to have 50/50 sides...

I wonder if DOA5 came out and was more "action/QTE" than "competitive" would most of you still buy the game??

If DOA5 doesn't hit that mark we'd like it to hit, then hopefully Team Ninja can provide us with some updates to further reach that point.

Buy yea, it's too early to tell seeing as how this will be their first time truly interacting with our Community "shall that claim holds true"...

Gill Hustle

Hmm.. as much as I agree with the basic premise of the thread to tighten up hold windows and make it harder/impossible to counter in critical stun (only)... you're probably hurting your own impressions of the game by going back and playing just the AI. The guessing thing is much lower because you're playing an opponent and reads are important in all fighting games; its really fun to train and break an opponents expectations and DOA allows this side of fighters to shine.

I played the game again just recently but only against another player (offline) and its still got a lot of qualities to like over other fighting games, yes DOA4.

Your right about beating a human over the A.I. but it punishes unsafe attacks which help me get a better grasp of what I shouldn't do.

I'm the type of sadist that would play old skool KOF with the difficulty up, This helped my SF4 game a lot before I bothered with frame data.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Best thing TN can do right now is to remove the damage properties from current defensive holds and make them parry. some of you Busa players might get mad, but you guys can go fuck yourselves.

This should be really easy for TN to do, really.

Raansu

Best thing TN can do right now is to remove the damage properties from current defensive holds and make them parry. some of you Busa players might get mad, but you guys can go fuck yourselves.

This should be really easy for TN to do, really.

With the current setup of them having a 3 point hold and "advanced holds" being only mids I would prefer that they would go to a parry type system.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
With the current setup of them having a 3 point hold and "advanced holds" being only mids I would prefer that they would go to a parry type system.
See, what if the current 3-point system they have right now are just parries and the "advanced holds" are the holds we've been used to for so long? No one in the press was really able to confirm anything like this so we just have wait until we get some hands on with the demo.

Raansu

See, what if the current 3-point system they have right now are just parries and the "advanced holds" are the holds we've been used to for so long? No one in the press was really able to confirm anything like this so we just have wait until we get some hands on with the demo.

Judging from the video we have though that does not seem to be the case.

Raansu

That video was based on a way earlier build of the game so I'm a little hopeful for the demo.

I highly doubt that the video we saw and the info we have has many differences. If theres going to be any major changes its going to be months from now when they go into the balance/polish phase.

Arnell Long

That video was based on a way earlier build of the game so I'm a little hopeful for the demo.

True that, Team Ninja said on more than one occasion that the Demo will be a slightly different build with a bit more tweaks than what was already Previewed by other gaming Websites. So yea, looking forward to seeing whatever those small changes may be.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I highly doubt that the video we saw and the info we have has many differences. If theres going to be any major changes its going to be months from now when they go into the balance/polish phase.
That video is from a September and was labeled "pre-alpha," the demo we're getting is a few months older and labeled "alpha." Mr. Wah was able to send in his suggestions to Team Ninja between both builds as well, so hopefully they were able to implement some ideas.

Also, why else break out a "hold" and an "advanced hold?" There has to be some difference.

True that, Team Ninja said on more than one occasion that the Demo will be a slightly different build with a bit more tweaks than what was already Previewed by other gaming Websites. So yea, looking forward to seeing whatever those small changes may be.
No... They said that the build that was played at the last event was the same exact build that you got for preordering NG3.

Arnell Long

Oh okay gotcha, well good to hear we'll be getting the "Alpha" version instead of the "Pre-Alpha" version cause that way we can sorta see what little has changed to further continue our debates.

Arnell Long

But did they actually receive and review them?

Grap3 wrote: "Mr. Wah was able to send in his suggestions to Team Ninja between both builds as well, so hopefully they were able to implement some ideas."

With that statement I'd say those suggestions made it to Team Ninja, but likeGrap3 said, hopefully they got around to em.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
And as stated in the Ask Team NInja thread, I received a personal reply from Shimbori stating how (1) he was able to gain insight through the suggestions and (2) he's training again in DOA3 to beat me next time.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD