IGN gives Ninja Gaiden 3 a 3.0/10.... Ironic, but fitting.

Raansu

And this game is better?
What of the original or Ninja Gaiden Black?
What exactly is there to like about this game? The gimmicky QTE adopted from series like Resident Evil & God of War? The ability to use one weapon throughout the entire game? (post DLC)
You must be trolling lol

NGB was great. NG2 was trash. I'd rather play gimicky NG3 than to ever go back to that broken POS called NG2.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
There's not even a penalty for hitting the wrong QTE button prompt during an event!

Doesn't that make it not a 'Quick Time Event'?

Just because a button icon displays on screen doesn't mean it's a 'Quick Time Event'.

Honestly, I don't know why people have such a problem with QTEs in general.

I know that's like 3 different talking points but whatever.

MrMoon360

Doesn't that make it not a 'Quick Time Event'?

Just because a button icon displays on screen doesn't mean it's a 'Quick Time Event'.

Honestly, I don't know why people have such a problem with QTEs in general.

I know that's like 3 different talking points but whatever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, they don't belong in Ninja Gaiden. Quick time events. You are in a deadlock of an action sequence where you must push a button or combination of them -- whatever anyone wants to call them.
And the repetition made me sick.

(I have nothing against QTE. They are fantastically executed in DOA5a and they fit well in RE.)

Jefffcore

So it's the same as the old NG's? lol The IGN video just explained everything NG has always been; mashing buttons unless you're on a hard difficulty, and bad camera angles.

MrMoon360

So it's the same as the old NG's? lol The IGN video just explained everything NG has always been; mashing buttons unless you're on a hard difficulty, and bad camera angles.
Lol "unless you're on a hard difficulty". Trying to avoid getting shut down?

You clearly aren't familiar with or don't understand the combat systems of the first two Ninja Gaiden games.
Ninja Gaiden used to be a series where button mashing is just not going to fly. You need a relative knowledge of the controls, combos and enemy properties/abilities to succeed. The multiple weapons gave the previous NGs a fun way to enter different situations. More effective even.

This Ninja Gaiden 3, however, you won't need to block. On Hard mode.
Its that easy.
You get one weapon throughout the entire game to wield. (before DLC)
Just a huge disappoint of a sequel, imho.

R4712-VR88

Ninja Gaiden used to be a series where button mashing is just not going to fly.

I mash alot in the previous two, only because I played them on easy and normal.

This Ninja Gaiden 3, however, you won't need to block. On Hard mode.
Its that easy.

You're over exaggerating.

I'm really enjoying NG3. It's a really good solid game. I can see what people may dislike about it. But as I said before, going through this game at the Master and Ultimate difficulty is where the greatness of this game is going to come out. The game has alot of holding-your-hand moments with game tips that prompt up, which you can turn off. But once you learn the game and when to do things you'll feel like the badass ninja you're supposed to be. I don't understand some people saying things like the game not having Ninpo magic or Ultimate Techniques when they're in the game. OT are as well. You just have to press X or Y again to successfully do the OT which I see no problem with. But I'm loving it. Will it be a good game, sure. As good as NG1/2? No. The big thing I love about NG1 is its exploration. NG2 cut that out and made it a real linear game. Here the linearity is even more. But the action and gameplay still hold up well. The game does feel like alot of button mashing but when playing on Normal it's something to expect. Just like in the previous games. And you can change the difficulty at any time during the game which is a neat feature.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You are in a deadlock of an action sequence where you must push a button or combination of them -- whatever anyone wants to call them.

How is that any different than say... a combo throw, a throw, or a combo from a throw?

Jefffcore

I dunno how you can or can't be familiar with mechanics in NG... I mean, If I mashed, I mashed.

I'll give you NG1, it wasn't easy, but NG2 was just mash. Mashed potatoes, mashed yams; you name it, it was mashed.

MrMoon360

I mash alot in the previous two, only because I played them on easy and normal.

You're over exaggerating.

Perhaps. But not to an extreme extent.
Blocking is not nearly as essential as it was in previous installments.

The ONE ninpo you get clears virtually all the enemies onscreen.
The bosses no longer have power bars, making the linear effect of a movie and not a video game, take place. Everything plays out with little variety and interaction of the player. No real challenge.

To tell you the truth, I lost interest in playing the game very quickly. I doubt I would find playing through it again on another difficulty unlocked would make the experience any better. So much was taken away from this sequel that could've made it great.

I guess no one can relate here. I'm a hardcore fan. I'm surrounded by "Ninja Dogs".

MrMoon360

How is that any different than say... a [DOA] combo throw or a throw?

You're missing the point of my argument here if you think I'm bashing quick time events in general.
In my honest opinion, I don't feel the massive extent of QTEs in Ninja Gaiden 3 is appropriate.
Its just overwhelming and quite repetitive.
Play the game to see what I mean. Experience won't fail you.

Besides, for a fighter [DOA] with throws, you have variety in characters and combinations for different throws.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You're missing the point of my argument.

These 'events' you are speaking of in Ninja Gaiden 3 are not actually "QTE"s. Just because a button displays an on screen prompt does not mean it's a "QTE".

MrMoon360

You're missing the point of my argument.

These 'events' you are speaking of in Ninja Gaiden 3 are not actually "QTE"s. Just because a button displays an on screen prompt does not mean it's a "QTE".

Oh but they are. You can turn the button prompts off. It doesn't change what they are, I agree.
2roi3o9.jpg

e.g.
Ryu's sword is rammed in some boss' huge eye. The game would prompt you to tap :X: repeatedly until he does a certain action, then again allowing you to move freely afterward. I consider that a QTE; which is present throughout NG3 profusely.

R4712-VR88

Perhaps. But not to an extreme extent.
Blocking is not nearly as essential as it was in previous installments.

I disagree as I think the game will shape up to be really amazing as the higher difficulties are unlocked.

The bosses no longer have power bars, making the linear effect of a movie and not a video game, take place.

I'll agree as this is something I don't like so far.

To tell you the truth, I lost interest in playing the game very quickly. I doubt I would find playing through it again on another difficulty unlocked would make the experience any better. So much was taken away from this sequel that could've made it great.

And again, NG3 is meant to be different. We do have free DLC coming that brings new weapons and mission modes that'll have returning enemies and stages which looks really fun and promising.

I guess no one can relate here. I'm a hardcore fan. I'm surrounded by "Ninja Dogs".

It has nothing to do with you being hardcore, it's just you don't like NG3. You don't like how much they changed it from the previous two. I believe the game is very solid. It may have some issues or heavy concerns from fans but the game is far from a 3 out of 10 rating. I'd give the game a 6 or 7 at the lowest.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
My old man is a theater director. He ran an outdoor production for our church during the summer for twenty years, and in that time it became a spectacle that drew tens of thousands of people every year. It became known for its brilliant use of fire, water, lighting, special effects, and battle scenes involving hundreds of people. During this time, my mother was also involved with it and created some absolutely brilliant costumes for the show that are talked about even today.

When they finally moved on, the project was given to the assistant director, "Roger". The first thing Roger did was remove all of the special effects, cut the battle scenes and replace it with some sort of awkward "dance" sequence using the same soundtrack, and replace all of the costumes with absolutely ridiculous third rate crap that didn't even resemble the time period. The audience numbers dropped to roughly 1/5th of the original attendance over the span of three years. It has never recovered.

Why did Roger do this? Because he was not interested in doing the church a service, and he was not interested in putting on a great show that people would enjoy. He wanted to make something that was his own vision, and he felt 100% entitled to do so. That meant getting rid of absolutely everything that had been conceived by my parents, because it threatened his own ego. His artistic vision took priority, and to hell with the consequences. This was his show now and he would do whatever the hell he pleased.

Well, the church didn't feel the same way. After a few years of that nonsense, he got fired.

If Hayashi had created his own studio, or developed his own original IP, I would have no problem with anything he did.

But you do not inherit a series with a reputation like NG's and do this to it. That is ethically wrong, plain and simple. I know exactly what Hayashi is doing right now, and it does not impress me. This is not a man incapable of creating a challenge, he designed the enemy AI for the original ninja gaiden on xbox. This is a man who is leaving it out very deliberately so he can make an artistic statement.

Same situation. Not impressed.

MrMoon360

And again, NG3 is meant to be different. We do have free DLC coming that brings new weapons and mission modes that'll have returning enemies and stages which looks really fun and promising.

Being different is one thing, but worse than a previous installment overall?
Thats just silly.
This game seems rushed and downright bland.

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Different, but for good reason. It was a DS game.

Ninja Gaiden 3.
-No weapon variety (post DLC).
-No weapon upgrades via essence barter.
-Limit to 1 ninpo attack.
-Fewest chapters in the series yet. (also estimated 8 hours of gameplay, making it the shortest NG)
-No dismemberment
-No Muramasa shop
-Dramatic plummet in difficulty

All for what?
And at what cost to the fans?

This NG3 could be considered a betrayal even...

I disagree as I think the game will shape up to be really amazing as the higher difficulties are unlocked.

When compared to the difficulty that some of us are searching for, NG3's "Hard" mode vs NG1 and NG2's is incredibly inferior. Consequently for every mode above that difficulty, they are also less difficult then the predecessors'.
So why even bother?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD