Is the Prima guide any good?

Ninja_Kittycat

I love the guide, even shows the special tag teams, what buttons for different panties <3 (personal fave). But also that the ages changed (18 is the lowest age gleeee!!!!), so over all i love the book. Really nice <3 worth the money!

BierKlauMeister

Guide is really good, best fighting game guide ive ever read, and i did have the ssfiv and the mvc3 guide. DDogg die a great job... some fuck ups here and there, but a VERY SOLID GOOD GUIDE. Tons tons of props to both the author, and the Editors, good shit

cip

There are 12 pages+ on each character. 6 pages text, 6 pages frame data. So whoever you main, you'll get a great overview and starting guide.
Especially nice for newer players, because every single game element is explained very nicely at the beginning, even including cliffhangers and maps. It's so detailed, it even tells you the frame data when your characters partition attack (when jumping over a partition in the Hot Zone map) is blocked.

Just get it :)

I was hoping that, by the time I came back to this thread, someone else would have posted the various issues with this guide. So I guess I'll be the first. It doesn't give information on things, it, itself tells you it will give you. Limbo stuns sit-down stuns and the like are not given

The guide also claims it will give you information on natural combos, and doesn't deliver. It goes on to make certain other miscues that I don't want to get too far off into -- otherwise it'll sound really negative. If you want a strategy guide this may be your best -- possibly only -- option, just don't go into things with your eyes closed.

Raansu

The guide also claims it will give you information on natural combos, and doesn't deliver. It goes on to make certain other miscues that I don't want to get too far off into -- otherwise it'll sound really negative. If you want a strategy guide this may be your best -- possibly only -- option, just don't go into things with your eyes closed.

Erm, have you even bothered to read the guide?

synce

The thing I don't understand about the guide is why there's all that frame data on BT and crouching status... seems like overkill. I would've rather had access to the more essential frame data without flipping pages. Also it would've been nice to have the character's name on the side or bottom of every page for easier access.

Otherwise it's pretty good since you can't really look up moves in-game online. I also like reading up on characters I don't use because chances are good the people I'm playing are going to do whatever the guide says ;)

cip

Limbo stuns sit-down stuns and the like are not given
The guide also claims it will give you information on natural combos, and doesn't deliver.
Huh? All the different types of stuns, including limbo and sit-down, are explained in detail in the beginning and all the useful stuns are mentioned in the character sections, including an overview at the end of each character, detailing ALL stuns he has and whether they are holdable. So I don't know how they could have done more to cover stuns.

Natural combos are also explained and whenever in the character section mention is made of "if strike x hits, strike y is guaranteed" it means it's a natural combo.

So, not to be rude, but I don't know what you're talking about when you say it doesn't give this information...

BierKlauMeister

The thing I don't understand about the guide is why there's all that frame data on BT and crouching status... seems like overkill. I would've rather had access to the more essential frame data without flipping pages. Also it would've been nice to have the character's name on the side or bottom of every page for easier access.

Otherwise it's pretty good since you can't really look up moves in-game online. I also like reading up on characters I don't use because chances are good the people I'm playing are going to do whatever the guide says ;)

All that frame data on Backturned and Crouching is needed by players who really count the frames while coming up with setups to know exactly wha beats what. Especially for people coming from a VF or Tekken bakcground, where they go about their offence and frame traps in a very thourough kind of way, that data is needed.

But hey, i guess you cant please them all can you... you only put the "essential frame data ", and u got people complaining why that and that is missing and why isnt the frame data complete. You put a COMPLETE frame data... and you get people ocmplaining about having to read through pages of frame data to get to the "essential"...

Fucking ridiculuous

Gruff757

Standard Donor
planning on picking one up sometime soon

tired of having to wait till fridays to see the guide during casuals xD

Perhaps I should have been more precise in my statement. In the frame data section, the types of stuns that are inflicted, are not stated -- with regards to limbo, trip, and faint stuns. It is implied that this information it will be given in the frame data section. However it is not present. What's more. It is clearly stated, that natural combos will be given -- for all characters -- in the frame data section of the strategy guide. This is also, not present. I didn't want to have to break it down in those terms. I just wanted to state the facts, and possibly help someone who was considering purchasing the strategy guide. I'll try to articulate my thoughts more clearly in the future.

cip

Oh yeah, it seems types of stuns aren't shown in the frame data section. But since they are all listed at the end of the descriptive section, I don't find it that bad.

Natural Combos are listed though. It's when in the Height column the letters are in brackets. M(MM) means that if the second hits, the third is guaranteed, so the second and third make a natural combo.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD